PNW Wet Weather Pack ideas

Acal57

FNG
Who here hunts the wet coast? I live in Terrace BC which is right in the coast mountain range. If it's not raining currently it was recently and the bush is wet anyway. I'm trying to piece together a system to keep dry as best I can. What do other PNW hunters use for packs? The Rokman system has my eye.

matthewmt

WKR
Seekoutside bags are made of xpac or maybe a good pack cover or just run items in an internal dry bag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I live in western wa. I run a Stryker XL for less than 4 days, muskeg for 4+. Keep my clothes and sleep system in their own dry sacks in my bag, the rest I don't mind getting wet. I run this system regardless of where I hunt, hasn't sent me home early.

OP
A

Acal57

FNG
Do they still make the kifaru muskeg? That does look like $.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Do they still make the kifaru muskeg? That does look like $.
I do not believe so. But I see them on the classifieds with some regularity. I got the 7k and it's been way more bag than I need for every hunt Ive been on but a goat hunt.

OP
A

Acal57

FNG
Thanks lots. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds for one.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Internal silnylon dry bag combined with an external pack cover has worked well for me in the Washington Cascades and Alaska. I like the Sea-to-Summit silnylon dry bags that are sized to be a pack liner. That said, the Exo dry bag for my current pack is way more robust. Pack cover is kind of redundant and maybe even not useful depending on how aggressive the brush is (concerns of just shredding the light fabric) or if you care about your pack bag itself getting soaked.

I think my strategy from now on will be just internal dry bags. Buy the pack that works best for you, get appropriate dry bag liners.

Xpac fabric might be “waterproof” at the beginning, but it sure doesn’t remain that way for long, and it can get quite crinkly and loud in cold weather.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks lots. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds for one.
I'd still run the dry bag program. The muskeg does well, but water proofing is tough in climates like PNW when it's more like walking through a car wash than a light drizzle. Muskeg stays fairly dry, but what it's better at is keeping water from getting out.

Last edited:
Who here hunts the wet coast? I live in Terrace BC which is right in the coast mountain range. If it's not raining currently it was recently and the bush is wet anyway. I'm trying to piece together a system to keep dry as best I can. What do other PNW hunters use for packs? The Rokman system has my eye.
Any bag that keeps out water will also hold water, so grommet’s are a must in the bottom. Seek outside didn’t work for me, but I liked the concept, but if I would have kept it, I would have added grommets

I have just came to realize it’s not a big deal, I love the new k4 and if I felt the need, I could use the integrated dry bag they make but I assume put items I need dry in small dry bags, but it takes a lot to get gear wet inside of the exo bags, and they have grommets in the bottom so water doesn’t get trapped.

No matter how waterproof your bag is, you will get water inside, so it needs a place to leave or it’s a bigger problem, standing water makes a mess.

If the rokman doesn’t work for you, you will have a hard time selling it, i would stick with the well known companies like exo, kifaru, or stone glacier which are made here and have good resale if you find it doesn’t work for you.

Clarktar

WKR
I like the fact that my Seekoutside pack doesn't soak up rain. I've lived and hunted in coastal WA and coastal Alaska. It usually rains twice each week; once for 3 days and once for four days.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk