Point of impact change switching from thumb button to hinge?

patzed

FNG
I'm new to shooting a hinge release, i bought an ultraview hinge to work on target panic. Typically I shoot a carter wise choice.

I noticed that switching to a hinge forces my shots to the right, a few inches, of my shots with my wise choice. Aside from changes in my form and likely anchoring, any other reasons this could be happening? Any tips to shooting the hinge better?

I'm new to shooting a hinge release, i bought an ultraview hinge to work on target panic. Typically I shoot a carter wise choice.

I noticed that switching to a hinge forces my shots to the right, a few inches, of my shots with my wise choice. Aside from changes in my form and likely anchoring, any other reasons this could be happening? Any tips to shooting the hinge better?
Sight in with the hinge. Your anchor point will be different with different releases which changes your impact. Commit to the hinge for a while and focus on your form. The more you get used to shooting with back tension I would imagine that your different points of impact will come together with practice.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
Anchor is probably a little different and the motion of shooting each release is also not the same. Make sure with both releases that you are coming straight back with your release hand and not away from your face resulting in a possible plucking of the string. With that said I think it’s completely normal for you to impact different.

fatlander

WKR
I can bounce from my Scott ascent to carter evolution without any issue. I shot my buddy’s wise choice for a little bit at the range the other week and there was no discernible difference there either. I will say that the neck length on all those releases is more or less the same. Your two releases probably have different neck lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
Not sure if a hinge release will change your POI, but I recently moved from a Nock2it thumb to the silverback back tension release and have had a minor POI change. the 2 releases are almost identical in form/shape but the silverback has really highlighted my lack of consistent back tension. After using it for ~3 weeks now, my groups have finally started coming together and it feels natural. I'm curious what my POI will be when I move back to the thumb release.

OP
P

patzed

FNG
Thanks for the info guys

I would have probably gone Nock2it + silverback since they're much more similar, but they're dang near impossible find on sale.

The neck height on the ultraview is definitely longer, the release is shaped a bit differently so I think that's likely what is causing it, since that will make some minor changes in my anchor point all together. Along with that, Im still working on the target panic and I wouldn't be surprised if my occasional thumb punching on my wise choice is adding to the anomalies.

MattB

WKR
On an old bow I had, I needed to add 10 yards to the distance with my thumb release versus my wrist release.

Im also looking at picking up a silverback release if I can get a hold of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I would strongly urge anyone that is looking to get a silverback or evolution to consider a Stan perfex system. Of the thumb and resistance release systems I’ve used they have definitely been nice. Fit, finish, and feel is also noticeably better.