Switching from handheld to index release

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone out there switched from a hinge or thumb button back to an index style release for hunting? I’ve been contemplating going to one just for how much faster it is. I’ve been shooting a hinge for the last two years and really like it but it’s definitely a little more time consuming getting it out of my pocket or bino harness than something that I can wear on my wrist.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use a hinge but I do shoot a hand held. I used paracord to make a 'wrist strap' for it. It's still not quite as handy and I do take it off on occasion but I like it much better than having nothing. I don't think I could go back to an index.

imw001

FNG
I think my handhelds are sweet, but I’m probably switching back to a wrist-strap-index-finger release for now. I’m having a hard time getting comfortable with the handheld when I drill myself on the range, trying to be fast, quiet, and accurate.

I’m very green, though, so don’t take my advice too seriously.

OP
KyleM4130

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use a hinge but I do shoot a hand held. I used paracord to make a 'wrist strap' for it. It's still not quite as handy and I do take it off on occasion but I like it much better than having nothing. I don't think I could go back to an index.
I have the hunting bracket added to my ultraview hinge. It definitely helps. I love
shooting with the hinge and have great accuracy. I also shoot a B3 Omega thumb and can leave it on the d loop but worry about losing it sometimes.

I hunted with an index release years ago, then went to a trad bow, and have picked up the compound again very recently. All of my hunting since December has been with a handheld release, and only one kill has been with a thumb button. The rest were all with a hinge.

I thought having a hinge being loose would be a problem but I keep mind in the front pocket of my bino harness and it's been easy to use quickly. I did buy a B3 Ranger with a wrist strap and thought I'd love the idea of the release being on my wrist, but honestly, the convenience was outweighed by it being a pain. It flopped around and hit my bow when I was trying to move in particular ways, and grabbing an arrow (or putting it back in the quicker) was really annoying. Definitely enjoyable to use in the moment, but after killing a few pigs with it I went back to my B3 Infinity Pro and shot a few other critters and I can't say the convenience of having it attached to my wrist made a noticeable and positive difference to me.

Currently got a UV2 stainless hinge on the way, and looking to trade my B3 Ranger for a Truball Abyss (my wife might use a thumb button). I'll keep my B3 Infinity Pro and either that or the UV2 will become my 'go to' release, but having said all that, I have a Stan PerfeX resistance release here that I shoot well and I may just hunt with that instead.

My point is, for me personally, I'm never going back to an index release. I like both my hands being free of anything when in the bush and I can quickly figure out other ways to hold a release.

Zdub02

WKR
I use a carter evolution for training and shot execution but use an index when in the woods. Found it made my index shooting better and I do think the index is more convenient in hunting situations.

Hunt with a B3 Hawk index finger wrist strap with the webbing connection between release head and wrist strap. Shoot it with back tension.

Have used multiple different hand helds….thumb release, hinge and Carter Evolution. Much prefer the wrist strap index finger with a hook, not a jaw. Learned to shoot back tension with it and I’ve controlled target panic better than a thumb release.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I have always liked an index for hunting, but hated how they flopped around and got in the way when trying to grab something from a pocket or quietly get an arrow out of the quiver and nocked on the bow. They are just really convenient to me when running around chasing bugling elk though, always ready to go.
Then they started making foldback style index releases. I absolutely love them, really gets it out of the way until you need it. Mine is a Trufire, couldn't say what model it is as I bought it several years ago. It can be put against your side and folded back forward to shooting position one handed if needed. I can't express how much it helps to fold it back clear of your hand for other tasks until you need it forward.

I have hunted solely with a hinge for the last several years. I did buy a thumb button to play with again the other day though. Truthfully, I was looking for a wrist rocket. I love a hinge, but I feel like you can develop some bad habits that cause poor arrow flight if you’re not careful. I never seemed to have those issues with a wrist strap.

However, I had a whole host of other problems over the years. Which is why I bought a button to play with and will keep hunting with a hinge.

Luked

WKR
I have shot with a hinge, Thumb button and Index off and on for years. For hunting I am not a Hinge fan. I know a lot of guys that do use one and it works fine but I personally think it takes much much more practice to make a hinge work for hunting. I shoot better with a Hinge or thumb but the ease of an index is really nice.
I have been mainly shooting a Index the last few months as I havent really found a thumb that I really like to get me compleatly away from the index

OP
KyleM4130

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted solely with a hinge for the last several years. I did buy a thumb button to play with again the other day though. Truthfully, I was looking for a wrist rocket. I love a hinge, but I feel like you can develop some bad habits that cause poor arrow flight if you’re not careful. I never seemed to have those issues with a wrist strap.

However, I had a whole host of other problems over the years. Which is why I bought a button to play with and will keep hunting with a hinge.
That’s how I have been. I really do love my hinge but I feel like there’s been times where I’ve definitely developed a bit of target panic but have since cured it with my hinge. I found my self squeezing my hand together to get it to fire instead of relaxing my index finger while push-pulling and letting it go off. I feel like I never really punched the trigger with an index either due to trigger discipline from rifle shooting.

I too have a B3 omega thumb button that I like shooting as well but don’t feel that I am as accurate as with my hinge.

Marble

WKR
Anyone out there switched from a hinge or thumb button back to an index style release for hunting? I’ve been contemplating going to one just for how much faster it is. I’ve been shooting a hinge for the last two years and really like it but it’s definitely a little more time consuming getting it out of my pocket or bino harness than something that I can wear on my wrist.
Put a thumb button on a lanyard on your wrist.

I'll take an extra couple seconds to get locked in for what I get back in accuracy and consistency.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think I could ever eliminate the index release from the equation. Admittedly, I am only about a month into using a thumb release but am starting to get pretty consistent and accurate with it but I am now finding that I can be even more accurate with an index. This became apparent when I finally retired my Scott Little Goose to the drawer and purchased a Stan SoleX index release.. Adjusted correctly, I am using good pull through surprising shots.