Poison oak/ivy on gear

ledflight

WKR
Folks I cleaned some gear recently that was exposed to poison ivy around the yard- I used TECNU but have also seen rubbing alcohol recommended.
I am looking for tips or experience especially regarding GEAR or clothing one would not want to be soaking in soap or hot water.
Am thinking alcohol surface wiping. Thanks!

If its machine washable use clothes detergent, the largest load size, and the hottest water it can take, and the longest wash time. I'd let them soak for a good while. If not machine washable soak in a large tub using the same criteria. That chemical can stay active for a long long time.

RS3579

WKR
If you ever get it on your body. The product Zanfel works great. It’s a over the counter product.

Jauwater

WKR
Spotted Touch-Me-Not stem, and leaves pressed out can be used for poison Ivy. It's not everywhere, but I tend to see it often on the mountain ranges of the east coast. Commonly found around running waters. It really works.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

DEGdog

FNG
If I understand your question, you’re asking about wiping down gear that you can’t soak or wash in a machine. I use household cleaning wipes like Clorox or Costco wipes. Make sure they are bleach-free. Wipe down well with those then wipe again with water. Reapply dwr spray if needed. I second the recommendation on zanfel for your skin.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
If I understand your question, you’re asking about wiping down gear that you can’t soak or wash in a machine. I use household cleaning wipes like Clorox or Costco wipes. Make sure they are bleach-free. Wipe down well with those then wipe again with water. Reapply dwr spray if needed. I second the recommendation on zanfel for your skin.
DEGdog that’s the angle I was talking about. Guess alcohol helps it come off- I used to think it denatured the oils but I don’t think that is accurate.

Think of poison ivy oil (urushiol) like axle grease, and clean exactly the sane way.

Dawn is particularly effective. Acetone is excellent on surfaces that can take it. Lots of gear does just fine in a washing machine as long as you dry it in front of a fan.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm lucky, I'm in the 15% who have a resistance to both. On two different occasions I was calling turkey for friends. both came down with bad reactions while I suffered nothing. In both cases we were sitting right next to each other. First time, we walked in well before daylight and weren't aware we had set-up in a patch of poison oak, crap. He was miserable, where I had no reaction at all. I found out a shot time later from my Dr., about 15% have a natural resistance to it.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
If it's something you don't need to use for a while just let it sit. The oil loses its potency in a few weeks.
The oil may lose a little potency but depending on the person still can remain active for a year or more. Just FYI

Attachments

• EC8C6484-9066-4566-820C-38D8A20BDE29.jpeg
    EC8C6484-9066-4566-820C-38D8A20BDE29.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: WCB

wayoh22

WKR
Dawn dish soap without a doubt

Will also add in brake-cleaner...don't ask

Button

WKR
I’ve never had to special clean items but after I knowingly get into poison ivy/oak I will use dilute bleach in a spray bottle and spray down my body in the shower and rinse then I will wash with dawn soap. I seldom get a rash even when I’m chopping ivy vines off trees at my property. It’s important to bleach/soap off within a few hours of exposure. If you already have a rash a dilute bleach bath will still help dry up the rash.

Zanfel works as well. But I have not had to use it since learning the bleach method.

I would launder special clothing in blue dawn soap, rinse well, then air dry.

Remember it is possible to spread the oil from clothing to truck seat, couch, or anything else you touch. Especially if you were cutting vines, cut vines are the most potent in my experience.

I’ve never had to special clean items but after I knowingly get into poison ivy/oak I will use dilute bleach in a spray bottle and spray down my body in the shower and rinse then I will wash with dawn soap. I seldom get a rash even when I’m chopping ivy vines off trees at my property. It’s important to bleach/soap off within a few hours of exposure. If you already have a rash a dilute bleach bath will still help dry up the rash.

Zanfel works as well. But I have not had to use it since learning the bleach method.

I would launder special clothing in blue dawn soap, rinse well, then air dry.

Remember it is possible to spread the oil from clothing to truck seat, couch, or anything else you touch. Especially if you were cutting vines, cut vines are the most potent in my experience.

I'm betting you can leave out the bleach completely, as long as you wash with Dawn and a washcloth.

Button

WKR
I'm betting you can leave out the bleach completely, as long as you wash with Dawn and a washcloth.

Maybe. I don’t mind using diluted bleach. A few years ago my wife developed the worst ivy rash I’ve ever seen. Went to the doctor multiple times and nothing worked until she started soaking in the bath tub with one cup of bleach.

Maybe. I don’t mind using diluted bleach. A few years ago my wife developed the worst ivy rash I’ve ever seen. Went to the doctor multiple times and nothing worked until she started soaking in the bath tub with one cup of bleach.

I'm betting soaking helped more than the bleach. But do whatever works for you for sure. Notice that both things you mention (bleach with Dawn and bleach with soaking) include bleach with things that by themselves help poison ivy. I'm not saying bleach will harm you, but I do believe it can. It can do far more harm than good, especially at high concentrations. I understand you use low concentrations.

Button

WKR
I'm betting soaking helped more than the bleach. But do whatever works for you for sure. Notice that both things you mention (bleach with Dawn and bleach with soaking) include bleach with things that by themselves help poison ivy. I'm not saying bleach will harm you, but I do believe it can. It can do far more harm than good, especially at high concentrations. I understand you use low concentrations.

I work at a chemical plant. Diluted bleach is the least of my concerns. Much more harmful products are on the shelves, especially automotive and gun cleaning compounds.

I works for us with no down sides, that I’m aware of or experience.