Poor quality Winchester brass!

I've had a couple bags of 6mm Remington Winchester brass (50 rounds each) sitting on the shelf in my reloading room that I've had for maybe 4 years and just got around to prepping them to be loaded. In doing this prep work I found that out of 100 rounds of brass that I was truing up that 32 of them were defective to the point that I could not safely use them. It appeared that not enough brass was used in the cases and there were gaps and lines in the neck/shoulder area. You could actually see through some of the gaps. I was pretty unhappy to say the least. Brass is not cheap!

I contacted Winchester and told them of the situation and I included pictures of the brass. The woman I spoke with was very helpful and informed me to send the brass in and once they had it they would have it replaced and shipped back to me. I guess that's another part of the equation. I felt like man they were right on this and would help me out but it apparently hasn't worked out that way as I still haven't seen the replacement brass after a few weeks. I think I expected better results than this.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You said gaps you could see through and lines. Do you mean it was cracked? I haven't seen that before right out of the bag

Winchester brass has always been junk, typically at least a 10% cull rate due to split necks and shoulders. The only reason to use it is if it's all you can possibly get your hands on.

1badDart

FNG
Many years ago I bought 200 pieces (2 bags) of Winchester 22-250 brass. About eight out of one bag had issues. Looking down into the case it looked like the neck was delaminating. I called and they requested photos, after sending the photos they offered a coupon for a free bag of brass. Pretty good service IMO.

cougarred

FNG
Same experience here with Winchester, poor quality only use if that's all you can find!

OP
6mm Remington
You said gaps you could see through and lines. Do you mean it was cracked? I haven't seen that before right out of the bag
It was not cracked it was as if not enough brass was used forming the case. I tried to find the pictures but haven't found them yet. When you see what I am talking about you will be shocked.

Rich M

WKR
I like win brass, this sounds unfortunate.

Remember that brass is hard to come by these days, might be a little while before they get some in to send to you.