Pop-up 28 on it's way!

I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting a Pop-up 28 since I first saw the design, and finally the Black Ovis Father's day sale was my excuse to get one. The Desolve camo would have been my first choice, but the Foliage bag looks good too, and it will do double duty as a general travel bag that fits in an overhead bin, without drawing too much attention.

I plan to put my Eberlestock spike duffel, loaded with my camping gear, on the overload shelf, then dump the camp and hunt with it in a day pack configuration.

Now I just need to add a Kifaru gun bearer system and I'll be set for the fall hunt.

Looks like my son will be getting my Eberlestock Dragonfly as an early Christmas gift!

Mt Al

WKR
Don't own one but went through the paces, "pop'd it up" and down the other day, dug through the frame, bag, etc.. Was pretty impressed and hope you love it.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Pack arrived yesterday.

First impressions:

Appears very well built. I like the material. Heavy duty without being overly heavy. Straps and buckles are very sturdy.

In the "down" position, the overall pack is smaller than I was expecting, which is a good thing. I was looking for a smaller day pack than my Eberlestock Dragonfly. The pop-up 28 is surprisingly small in the folded down position.

The shoulder straps are narrower than I was expecting, so we'll have to see how it does with a load. One thing I like about my Dragonfly is the shoulder straps and waist belt are VERY comfortable. Possibly the most comfortable straps and waist belt of any pack I've ever owned, of any kind. So that's a high standard for the pop-up to live up to.

The only "odd" thing I could find so far is the large pad in the center of the waist belt, that I guess is supposed to fit in the small of your back? It was kind of uncomfortable when I initially fit the pack on me, but maybe under a load it will be great. I'll just have to see how that works out.

I popped up the load lifters and put my Eberlestock spike duffel - loaded with my complete spike camp - in the overload shelf. It fits great. I'm planning to put about 25# in the pack itself, plus my spike camp in the overload shelf, and do some hikes to see how things settle out. Once I do, I'll report back, with some photos.

For $224 shipped, this appears to be a very good deal so far.

Afhunter1

WKR
I got mine yesterday too. My initial impressions are just like yours. I'm glad I got it and I will be retiring my X2 that I used as a daypack before. My Exo 5500 is still my overnighter though.

Last year I packed out a full mule deer deboned with my pop up 28. Great pack.
5798472511136868a4990434c4dc8021.jpg
17f4858bdb731c2cfa3cfe2f01cf82a2.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
Been taking short hikes with my pop-up 28, sans pack, and a 25# steel plate attached to the frame. Total weight is 28.5#.

Honestly, it's not as comfortable at that weight as my Eberlestock Dragonfly, but I'm hoping once I break it in, it will be. Shoulder straps seem a bit narrow for a pack designed to carry so much weight and the pad in the center of the hip belt seems excessively large. It's like I have a big lump in the middle of my back when I put it on.

I figured I'd sell the Dragonfly straight away - or give it to my son - as soon as I got the PU 28, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to need more time in the field with both to see if I'm willing to dump the Dragonfly.