Post big hunting trip blues

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I spend at least a few minutes every day thinking about the WY deer and antelope hunting trip I recently took back in October with a couple of friends. Bottom line, it was an awesome experience! This was a first western big game trip for me, and before actually getting there I had no idea of what exactly to expect. I do know that one thing I probably did right/well was that I had no pre-conceived expectations before we left or while we were there. I’d firmly decided that I was going simply to have a great time and experience something new and adventurous. The money was spent & I didn’t gauge my expectations or experience against what it cost or stress over it. No regrets . The scenery and mountain vistas were incredibly beautiful and that alone was immensely rewarding. Cell phone pictures just don’t do it justice.

Funny thing is that now I kind of got a little case of the blues because all the inquires, homework, planning, related rokslide reading and posting, and more than a year of anticipation are over. It didn’t take long after we got back from WY to realize that part of what made it a great adventure was the planning and anticipation! It was definitely something to look forward too. This trip likely won’t be a regular annual event. Logistics, cost, living in the southeast instead of closer to the western states, preference points, and other facets of life are limiting considerations for a return anytime soon and I’m not getting any younger. Don’t get me wrong, I’d drive back out there tomorrow if I could. 👍IMG_1420.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
It's always nice to have an outdoor adventure to look forward to. Start planning your next one. I don't know if you are a fisherman, but I usually do a couple of fly fishing trips a year. It scratches many of the same itches and is much cheaper and more accessible.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I actually planned a winter float trip, like canoe a river and camp on gravel bars along the way, because I'm so hard up to get outside. It'll probably be miserable but at least I'll feel alive.

I live in the Southeast as well, and if you like trout fishing, the winter is the best time. There are some amazing fisheries in East TN. I will be there next week and hope to get out a couple of times.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I have been to South Texas archery spot and stalk hog hunting a couple of times. The area was fairly close to Laredo. It was non-stop activity for 5 days each time. Had so much fun with some buddies. Each time when I got home it was the same feeling. Missed the action, the area, and just being with my friends.

I live in the Southeast as well, and if you like trout fishing, the winter is the best time. There are some amazing fisheries in East TN. I will be there next week and hope to get out a couple of times.

I'll be down in the Ozarks. Some good fishing there too. In my experience the freestone trout eat the best in the spring, but they gotta eat in the winter too. Probably the smallmouth will be slow. Who knows. I used to avoid the winter months because I almost drowned and got hypothermic floating by myself one time. Stupid college kid stuff. No one even knew I was down there...just got a wild hair and hopped in the car and went.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
It's always nice to have an outdoor adventure to look forward to. Start planning your next one. I don't know if you are a fisherman, but I usually do a couple of fly fishing trips a year. It scratches many of the same itches and is much cheaper and more accessible.
Yes, I do like to fish. Never have fished out west but wife & I took a vacation late June this year and spent 4-5 days in Cody, WY (1st of two trips to WY this year, both awesome!). Talked to the guys in the local fly fish shop about various ideas for future trips but made no plans. That would be fun.

However, a bucket list fishing trip for me is a 2-3 day trip to the Chandeleur Islands for reds & trout. Go out on a “mothership” & fish from skiffs or wade fish. That idea has been in my wish list a long time. Here’s to hoping and dreaming. 👍

J Batt

WKR
Spend at least as much time being consciously present as you do fantasizing each day.
Eventually you could be as content sitting at home as on a mountain side.

I get the same thing… Got it really bad my first few years taking big western trips.

First thing is, keep hunting! Go for small game, waterfowl, whitetail someplace close to home. My big trip makes me appreciate the “easy” hunting as much as it does anything else. I’m gonna head out and try and jump shoot some ducks (something I haven’t done in over 20 years) tomorrow. I’m pumped about it… Not quite as pumped as an elk hunt, but it’s still hunting and a bit of a new adventure.

As soon as hunting season is over in February I get into the planning for next year. Then it’s spring turkey, then it’s summer and time to get into fishing and shooting. Then it all starts over again.

Steve Rinella gets plenty of crap around here, and some of that might be warranted. But he’s right when he says “There are two types of outdoorsmen, one who is always crying about how good things were 20 years ago, and the other guy upset because they just don’t have enough time to get to it all, and those two guys live right next to each other.”

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely experiencing post season blues. Planning hunts, but that doesn’t put me outside. Trying something new, just ordered a coyote caller. Have no idea what I’m doing but at least I will be outside hunting.

Last edited:
I spend at least a few minutes every day thinking about the WY deer and antelope hunting trip I recently took back in October with a couple of friends. Bottom line, it was an awesome experience! This was a first western big game trip for me, and before actually getting there I had no idea of what exactly to expect. I do know that one thing I probably did right/well was that I had no pre-conceived expectations before we left or while we were there. I’d firmly decided that I was going simply to have a great time and experience something new and adventurous. The money was spent & I didn’t gauge my expectations or experience against what it cost or stress over it. No regrets . The scenery and mountain vistas were incredibly beautiful and that alone was immensely rewarding. Cell phone pictures just don’t do it justice.

Funny thing is that now I kind of got a little case of the blues because all the inquires, homework, planning, related rokslide reading and posting, and more than a year of anticipation are over. It didn’t take long after we got back from WY to realize that part of what made it a great adventure was the planning and anticipation! It was definitely something to look forward too. This trip likely won’t be a regular annual event. Logistics, cost, living in the southeast instead of closer to the western states, preference points, and other facets of life are limiting considerations for a return anytime soon and I’m not getting any younger. Don’t get me wrong, I’d drive back out there tomorrow if I could. 👍View attachment 642269
The hunting season is so brief, how to find other things we enjoy to drag it out as long as possible 😂. I also have found I enjoyed the research the scouting both, both E-scouting and in person scouting. The planning and anticipation are all part of the fun as well as looking back on the memories.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Used to get the post season blues, but picked up enough outdoor hobbies to keep me in the woods year round. I now get more excited for the winter season and running the dogs than I do for archery elk. Never thought I’d have something top archery elk, but here I am