Post-rut Bulls in Logging Country

What do you guys think would be the best hunting strategy to consistently find mature bulls during the post-rut rifle seasons in areas dominated by thick timber and logging? So think Western Oregon and Washington and probably north Idaho too. Lots af areas with roads and hunting pressure and the only glassing opportunities are clearcuts and very young plantations. Do you think spot and stalk, treestand setup, still hunting the reprod or some other strategy would be the most successful in this scenario?

I've read some things saying you have to hunt them like whitetails in these types of areas because there is so much dense vegetation and high hunting pressure, but also because they have all their needs in a relatively small area so they don't need to travel much. Basically just between bedding areas in reprod and feeding in clearcuts. Randy Newburg says it's the last type of place he'd want to hunt because glassing is difficult and pressure is intense. I realize this is a difficult goal, but im just curious if anyone has had success in this type of situation and if so the strategy that worked best for them. Thanks!

TheTone

WKR
I think the hunting them like whitetails advice is pretty spot on. You might have to just be willing to shoot them at close range in the brush. I grew up hunting in that exact type of environment. Most elk were shot at really close range; I can only think of a couple elk anyone in our camps shot at over 100 yards and most were probably in the 50 ish yard range. If there is any unroaded big timber nearby I think that stuff is worth checking out also. Maybe short sight distance but also a place a bull can probably go hide and be pretty darn safe

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt northwest MT and it is similar type country, but probably not as thick overall. I’ve had good luck hunting the “dead zones” of pressure that are between access points and can only be accessed by foot. Animals love using the old logging roads that are over grown, but still offer an easier path than through brush or downed timber. Wolves use the hell out of them especially if they run along ridge tops. Sitting next to natural escape routes like saddles or funnels before first light and letting the hunters below you push critters up to you can be worthwhile as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Post rut bulls do not travel very much. Unless you know where one is, then sitting in a tree in a single spot based on hope? Sound like bad idea to me. If you know where one is and know his travel route, then sure hunt like whitetail.

Contrary to what all the fancy people say, there are > effective ways to be successful in the woods then with glasses. 1000 percent guarantee harvesting an animal at 100 yards or less while being frustrated and dealing with the constant mind boogering that is still hunting.... is far more satisfying than sitting behind glass all day. Still hunting is harder, that is why people don't do it!