Signs of rut, or just curious bulls?

HODL

FNG
On Friday, 9/8 on the Oregon coast we called in two different bulls with cow sounds, my buddy connected on one. We have plenty of pictures of elk this year but only two shots of herds coming through, the rest are younger bulls roaming the hills. I'm curious what you all think...have these bulls smelled a cow in estrus yet, or are they coming in simply out of curiosity?

We set up at the edge of clearcuts above reprod units we assumed could hold elk. Within the first few mews each time you could hear sticks breaking, which indicates an immediate interest in our calls. Both bulls came in with purpose, one crossed 125 yards of clearcut to check me out, the other wrapped around to the right and came in above us. Not sure if this was the easiest path to us or if he was attempting to catch our wind.

We had another bull on camera Sunday and called into every single drainage with a similar setup and didn't hear or see a single thing, so I am just wondering whether we had the perfect proximity when we began calling or whether the smell is in the air and if a bull is there he will come in provided he doesn't have to leave a harem.