Posting unit #'s

grfox92

WKR
New guy question, I've seen a lot of post lately locked because of posting unit #'s. Does this actually cause more people to go the units people name. I could see where OTC units could be a big problem because anyone can go but what about unit that take 15 or 20+ points??
There are alot if people with 15 or 20 points out there.

If I Google Montana elk unit XYZ, if there is a thread on it, it is going to come up in the search results for the world to see weather they are members or not.

Meateater made the mistake of talking about the units they were hunting, specifically on once in a lifetime type units. Those units doubled or quadrupled in applications from that exposure and now those units are virtually impossible to draw.

So yes. It has a negative effect.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
New guy question, I've seen a lot of post lately locked because of posting unit #'s. Does this actually cause more people to go the units people name. I could see where OTC units could be a big problem because anyone can go but what about unit that take 15 or 20+ points??

This is the standard Rokslide has implemented

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
To answer your question-- yes everyone is looking at spending thier points wisely(no matter the amount) which means having unit insight.

Does it equal point creep? Well it can't help that's for sure and there needed to be a line so the standard could be applied equally, which is important to every member of the Rokslide staff

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
There are alot if people with 15 or 20 points out there.

If I Google Montana elk unit XYZ, if there is a thread on it, it is going to come up in the search results for the world to see weather they are members or not.

Meateater made the mistake of talking about the units they were hunting, specifically on once in a lifetime type units. Those units doubled or quadrupled in applications from that exposure and now those units are virtually impossible to draw.

So yes. It has a negative effect.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Nevermind Meateater! Newberg makes a career of it! Every week there’s a new video on how and where to apply! How that guy sleeps at night is beyond me.

Ucsdryder

WKR
of course it makes a difference. Let’s say I ask about a unit. Let’s say someone responds with how good of a hunt they had there and how many elk they saw, and how they were bugling, and how they killed a 320” bull. Now take the 50k people that look at rokslide daily, how many of those 50k are looking for a unit to hunt and have no idea where to start. It doesn’t take long for a unit to creep if 4 or 5 out of 50k PER DAY decides that unit sounds pretty good.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Nevermind Meateater! Newberg makes a career of it! Every week there’s a new video on how and where to apply! How that guy sleeps at night is beyond me.
He’s brainwashed HIMSELF. It’s pathetic.

I just listened to Matt rinella on wolf precision podcast. That guy has it figured out.

It’s honestly doom and gloom in the long run. It’s like a train wreck in slow motion. You know it’s happening but you can’t stop it.

This is the standard Rokslide has implemented

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Unfortunately not all FNG are technically FNG. The OP of this thread has been a member here since 2018. Just because he doesn't participate every day doesn't make him less of a member.

So I don't buy in to the whole FNG versus WKR getting more influence or benefits when it comes to threads asking for help. We all needed help at one point or another. Bringing up old threads to ask the OP how they did isn't the end of the world. Sometimes it's nice to see if they were successful or not since they were given help.

That's just me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately not all FNG are technically FNG. The OP of this thread has been a member here since 2018. Just because he doesn't participate every day doesn't make him less of a member.

So I don't buy in to the whole FNG versus WKR getting more influence or benefits when it comes to threads asking for help. We all needed help at one point or another. Bringing up old threads to ask the OP how they did isn't the end of the world. Sometimes it's nice to see if they were successful or not since they were given help.

That's just me.
Again there had to be a standard to who can and who can't.

In the end all unit specific information should be exchanged by private message so its really a matter of who can bump a unit thread.

Rokslide's new policy is a great step toward limiting the unit crushing actions of social media. These forums are searchable by google and live for years. The amount of unit specific intel that some people have given out to a random FNG but actually gave to the known universe is truly astonishing. A step further would honestly be appropriate and any mention of unit intel would be locked, there are still OG posters who give out specific basins on here.

Scottf270

WKR
I understand the concern of providing too much information. It allows easy info and leads to increased competition for spots, tags, etc.

I also agree a guy being a contributing member should "earn" them the right to ask some questions. FNG who draws a great tags cuz they heard they were good, and then have no idea how to hunt the tag at all bugs me too.

I started hunting Montana for deer nearly 40 years ago. I got a map, found a town just inside the state. Called the Chamber of Commerce. Asked about a rancher who might allow hunting and have been hunting the same area since then. Old school research method.

In my mind, a far bigger issue is the Hunting Fool type companies who are profiting from people applying in as many states as possible for as many animals as possible. I envision a guy calling about elk and before you know it, he's paying them to apply in 7 different states. This clogs up the draws and pads their pockets.

SDHNTR

WKR
WKR or FNG whatever… we all should just stop consuming ANY social media that promotes the how and where to apply stuff. It’s poison! Newberg, ho Hunt, all of it. Stop watching. Even you new’bs who think you need the info, you’re only harming yourself in the long run. Find the proclamation and READ!

gtriple

WKR
get-off-my-lawn-old-lady.gif

WKR

WKR
WKR or FNG whatever… we all should just stop consuming ANY social media that promotes the how and where to apply stuff. It’s poison! Newberg, ho Hunt, all of it. Stop watching. Even you new’bs who think you need the info, you’re only harming yourself in the long run. Find the proclamation and READ!
Agree 100% but how do we get people to stop?

I’m stuck in the middle. I do think information should be shared but there is a way to do it. Just coming out and asking for a spot, unit or anything specific is lazy and shouldn’t be allowed. Put a unit in the title and that’s even worse. Asking for help and connecting with people privately is great. I help multiple people a year come out west. There are a few rules; 1, I will not tell you any unit or spots. You have to do your research and have an idea. 2, do not ask anything publicly. 3, if you have done research on an area, ask anything you want about tactics, gear, weather or anything hunting related. I have never asked for anything in return for the help and hunt multiple states a year never asking for spots. We should just stop posting unit info.

gtriple

WKR
When you see that crap on YT, scroll right in by. Let’s start there. And tell the Newbergs of the world we despise what they have done. They need to know, the pendulum has swung against them!
If it wasn't for Meateater, Randy Newberg, and GoHunt, I wouldn't be a western hunter. I wouldn't be applying in every single western state for nearly every species and those wildlife management departments would not have my thousands of dollars a year. I wouldn't be a member of RMEF (lifetime), Boone & Crockett (lifetime), Pope & Young, BHA, and WSF, with intentions to join others. I wouldn't participate in every Howl for Wildlife opportunity. I would never have even joined Rokslide.

Be angry all you want that more people are hunting now than ever before... but without more hunters, the anti-hunters will eventually win this war.

Laramie

WKR
For those of you not seeing the light yet please take a minute to read and consider the info below from just the State of Wyoming. This problem exists in all Western States...

There are 167,938 nonresidents holding elk preference points in Wyoming. There are just over 7000 tags issued to nonresidents each fall.

There are 151,417 nonresidents holding antelope preference points in Wyoming. There are just over 6000 tags being issued to nonresidents this year.

There are 144,720 nonresidents holding deer preference points in Wyoming. There are only about 1500 LQ deer permits available for non-residents. There are more region tags but it is challenging to find the exact number quickly.

There are 36,044 nonresidents holding moose preference points in Wyoming. There are under 50 total permits available for nonresidents.

There are 27,965 nonresidents holding big horn sheep preference points in Wyoming. There are under 50 total permits available to nonresidents.

The bottom line- there isn't anywhere remotely close to enough supply to meet the current demand. Making it easy for new people to join in the problem hurts everyone- including the new guys in the long run.