Potential new build questions - 7 Saum/300 WSM/6.5 prc

I built a 300 prc and really like the gun however I’m thinking I’d like to build something a little more compact and shave about a pound and a half off my 9.5 pound 300 prc. I was considering the 7 saum or 300 WSM or maybe 6.5 prc.

This will be a dedicated hunting rig most likely going in a chassis. Final weight with glass would be around 8 pounds.

The thought is building a short action magnum, however, I’m not super familiar with the 7 Saum or 300 WSM as it pertains to reloading. I’m wondering if there are any limitations on shooting bigger bullets like 180’s in the short action or even larger 30 cal bullets in the .300 WSM.

If I decide to build another gun it will most likely be next year. My wife has a 7 WSM and even though it flat out shoots ( .12” at 100) it’s a pain knowing that the brass is limited at best and factory is mostly non existent. I’d hate to run into this issue with a 7 saum or even the 300 WSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article 4

WKR
Since you already have a 30 cal, my vote would be for the 7 saum - can still run a fairly big bullet without giving up too much case room and if you built it on a lightweight medium action, you can really maximize that cartridge a lot better.
If you are going to go full custom, you can easily reach your weight requirements with a Vesper M or the like...and a carbon bbl.

MCS

FNG
Run a wyatt's baney box in a short action 3.1" the 180 bergers are great in the saum. The 300 wsm runs great with the 180-200 grain bergers and the 208 eldm. What velocity do you want to run with what bullet?

OP
ddavis_1313
Run a wyatt's baney box in a short action 3.1" the 180 bergers are great in the saum. The 300 wsm runs great with the 180-200 grain bergers and the 208 eldm. What velocity do you want to run with what bullet?
I dont have a specific velo im trying to achieve. but id rather have a bullet a little more on the heavy side vs the lighter side. Im shooting berger 215's in my prc but i cant remember what the mv is. i think 2850 fps. its been a while since ive shot through a chrono.

the resaon for the new build would be for a more versitle mountain gun that can handle anything up to an elk or possible moose. however id most likely take the 30 cal for moose.

MCS

FNG
The 7saum runs the 180 good at 2900-2950 fps with rl26. The 300 wsm runs the 200 hybrid good at 2950 fps with rl26 the 185 vld runs good at 3000fps with h4350. Both are great cartridges.

OP
ddavis_1313
The 7saum runs the 180 good at 2900-2950 fps with rl26. The 300 wsm runs the 200 hybrid good at 2950 fps with rl26 the 185 vld runs good at 3000fps with h4350. Both are great cartridges.
whats your thoughts on rl26 vs h1000? i am running h1000 in the prc and my wifes 7wsm. my main concern is temp sensitivity.

madcalfe

WKR
my vote would be 300wsm.
im getting 2925fps with 178gr eldx with a 20" tube.
running terminus flush mags, I have a max COAL of 2.90" just have to get a notch milled in your feed ramp.

MCS

FNG
whats your thoughts on rl26 vs h1000? i am running h1000 in the prc and my wifes 7wsm. my main concern is temp sensitivity.
I haven't loaded for the 300 prc. But I have used both powders in the 300 win. H1000 just performed better and has been more consistent then rl26 in the 300win. I use rl26 in my 33 nosler and it performed better then h1000 in that cartridge. So every cartridge is a little different and you really need to test it yourself. i found that h4350 works great in the wsm but the velocity gain with rl26 are impressive.

OP
ddavis_1313
Since you already have a 30 cal, my vote would be for the 7 saum - can still run a fairly big bullet without giving up too much case room and if you built it on a lightweight medium action, you can really maximize that cartridge a lot better.
If you are going to go full custom, you can easily reach your weight requirements with a Vesper M or the like...and a carbon bbl.

thats one of the fine details im trying to decide with a 7 saum. short action or medium action and if it is going to be another caliber that goes the way of the 7 wsm and finding components are extremly hard

Article 4

WKR
thats one of the fine details im trying to decide with a 7 saum. short action or medium action and if it is going to be another caliber that goes the way of the 7 wsm and finding components are extremly hard
An XM action will give you a lot of options down the road too...since you are going with a 540 bolt face it will allow you to change barrels and maximize your mag size with many of the new caliber offerings. (if you wanna go 6.5 PRC) I do like the option of the 3.1 Wyatts box but if you get the XM you dont have to worry about that

Article 4

WKR
I haven't loaded for the 300 prc. But I have used both powders in the 300 win. H1000 just performed better and has been more consistent then rl26 in the 300win. I use rl26 in my 33 nosler and it performed better then h1000 in that cartridge. So every cartridge is a little different and you really need to test it yourself. i found that h4350 works great in the wsm but the velocity gain with rl26 are impressive.
This makes sense. Any time you are working with a larger case capacity and a bigger bullet, slower burn rate powders will usually maximize your velocity and lower pressures. They are also less "snappy" with recoil.

A burn rate chart is always good to have around

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 5.42.12 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 5.42.12 AM.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
ddavis_1313
An XM action will give you a lot of options down the road too...since you are going with a 540 bolt face it will allow you to change barrels and maximize your mag size with many of the new caliber offerings. (if you wanna go 6.5 PRC) I do like the option of the 3.1 Wyatts box but if you get the XM you dont have to worry about that
most likely id go with anothe anti x defiant action. i really like the one on my 300 prc. with it had a little more rail length for mounting a scope. mine is a touch forward to being perfcet but its not bad. the nx8 Nf is a little finicky in the eye box so that doesnt help much either. i just need to have time to shoot more and get comfortable with it. all about having time... lol

madcalfe

WKR
defiance just came out with a new titanium action the TI X. 16.8oz in the short action.
that and a 20" barrel you should be able to hit the 7lb mark with a chassis.

OP
ddavis_1313
defiance just came out with a new titanium action the TI X. 16.8oz in the short action.
that and a 20" barrel you should be able to hit the 7lb mark with a chassis.
as tempting as the ti version is ill probably forgo that one. i dont mind a few extra ounces on the action. as far as barrel length ill probably go 22 or 24. at least thats my first choice. my 300 prc is a 26" bartlein #4

rootacres

WKR
I owned a 300 WSM, sold it to fund a custom. The first custom was a 7 SAUM. My second custom was a 300 PRC. I then sold the 300 PRC to fund a dedicated NRL hunter rig.

In my round about way I’ve landed on a 7 SAUM. I feel it’s arguably the best lower 48 cartridge. Mild recoil in a lightweight-ish package. Pushes 168s at 2900+ in a sub 22” tube out of a SA. Bucks the wind well with the right bullet.

Moral of the story for me. . I was never going to use the PRC as long as I owned the SAUM.

**If bear or moose was on the hit list, a 30 cal mag would probably be my choice.

OP
ddavis_1313
I owned a 300 WSM, sold it to fund a custom. The first custom was a 7 SAUM. My second custom was a 300 PRC. I then sold the 300 PRC to fund a dedicated NRL hunter rig.

In my round about way I’ve landed on a 7 SAUM. I feel it’s arguably the best lower 48 cartridge. Mild recoil in a lightweight-ish package. Pushes 168s at 2900+ in a sub 22” tube out of a SA. Bucks the wind well with the right bullet.

Moral of the story for me. . I was never going to use the PRC as long as I owned the SAUM.

**If bear or moose was on the hit list, a 30 cal mag would probably be my choice.

Moose is for sure on the list. I don’t know when I’ll be able to afford it but my wife and I both want a moose. I built my 300 prc for elk or moose. I’ve yet to pull the trigger on an animal yet but hoping that changes second rifle in Colorado. I wish I had time to get out and shoot it more. I’m still shooting virgin brass and the barrel has less than 100 rounds through it.

My main rifle is a 7 SAUM built on an origin short action with a proof 24 inch tube. It’s shooting 180 hybrid targets at 2920. The only think I’d change about it is a shorter barrel for suppressing it. I love it though, I’d have no qualms about shooting anything including moose or brown bear with it. (I have no experience with those animals but from what I’ve seen those hybrid targets are devastating.)

180ls1

WKR
A 7 saum with similar ballistics to your 300prc seems like the winner here.

7mm Man

FNG
The 7 SAUM is great and many savvy reloaders have them, including me. The 300 WSM has better brass options, but the 7 SAUM is gaining steam. However, as I think with most short mags, you are going to want to run a Defiance XM action, or at least an extended mag box to get at least 2.95" COL. One thing I can tell you is the 7 SAUM just flat out shoots. It it east to load for in my opinion. I am personally about to buy or build a 7 WSM. I scored tons of brass and am looking to add to the 7mm collection. I mean, I am the 7mm man right?

OP
ddavis_1313
The 7 SAUM is great and many savvy reloaders have them, including me. The 300 WSM has better brass options, but the 7 SAUM is gaining steam. However, as I think with most short mags, you are going to want to run a Defiance XM action, or at least an extended mag box to get at least 2.95" COL. One thing I can tell you is the 7 SAUM just flat out shoots. It it east to load for in my opinion. I am personally about to buy or build a 7 WSM. I scored tons of brass and am looking to add to the 7mm collection. I mean, I am the 7mm man right?

Any change you have some lapua 7wsm you wanna part ways with or know where a guy can score a couple Hundo of them? lol. Need for my wife’s gun.

If she ever shoots the barrel out I’m rechambering it if I can’t find more brass