Practice

Beastmode

WKR
Do you practice with the same gun you hunt with? If I could afford to have 2 of the same exact rifle in similar BC calibers and similar velocity I would probably have a 6.5 CM or 260 Rem and a 300. That's not in the budget so I get one.

Does anyone practice with a rifle that is a different platform all together? Or calibers that are way different like a big 30 cal and a 22 cal?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Curvebow

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot what you have! My philosophy is that trigger time is trigger time. I spend a lot of time with various 22's I have as its cheap practice that still involves shooting mechanics.

joemulkey

FNG
This idea came from John barns way back when they first came out with the shoot beyond belief video set. He shot with a 22 pistol and one with not a great trigger. He said it's all about the trigger control. Doesn't matter what gun it is. If ya can shoot good with a bad trigger you can shoot great with a good trigger. I never went with the pistol part but I do shoot a 10/22 allot. That being said I shoot my main gun allot to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah use a. 223 a lot for training. The mechanics are almost entirely the same. Make sure to put an emphasis on field positions. I like to just go for a hike in the hills, and pick out rocks at various distances. Then practice setting up and taking the shot, just like a hunting situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You can practice fundamentals on any platform. I would also dryfire as much as possible with your LR rifle. You can do it anywhere and it's cheap.

ChrisA

WKR
I use a .22 Benjamin Disco a lot on sparrows and starlings around the farm. Also shoot the heck out of the 17 HMR and 6.5x47L precision rifle. Been doing a lot of plinking with a new Sig P938.

Like stated above, trigger time is trigger time. Now get out there and sear some caps! Lol

Chris

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
One thing that does mess me up is a heavy trigger. Make sure your 'practice rifle' has a trigger similar to your LR rifle or you could get in a habit of slapping the trigger.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
We, I practice a lot with our hunting rifles. In the spring and early summer, we have a core group of guys who go out and shoot rockchucks anywhere from a couple of hundred yards out to 2000 yards. I will use my hunting rigs for the couple of hundred yard shots out to 1200 yards or so and then the dedicated "rockchuck" rifles come out. There is not better practice in my opinion that shooting at a small live target in a hunting scenario. You can practice your fundamentals as well as see what your rifle/gear can do. And it is funner than shit.:cool:

Randy