Pre-deployment hunt ideas within 250 mile of El Paso, TX

Folks,
This is a real long shot in the dark with a cross wind but I thought I would poll the crowd for some ideas if there’s even any feasible. Here you go:
I’m currently mobilizing out of Fort Bliss for a long deployment in the Middle East. I had already accepted the fact that I’d be sitting out this hunting season (and maybe next as well). However, looks like I will get a 4 day pass around the 2nd week of October. I have no weapons and no gear other than my issued camo and rucksack etc. I need to stay within 250 or so miles of El Paso and can hire a guide if need be.

This is probably a bridge way too far but anyone got any ideas or guide recommendations that would be OTC/landowner type deal so I can get outdoors for a bit of fun before going downrange? Thanks everyone and hope you have a safe Labor Day weekend and much success afield this fall!

Andrew

Dusty2426

WKR
Folks,
This is a real long shot in the dark with a cross wind but I thought I would poll the crowd for some ideas if there’s even any feasible. Here you go:
I’m currently mobilizing out of Fort Bliss for a long deployment in the Middle East. I had already accepted the fact that I’d be sitting out this hunting season (and maybe next as well). However, looks like I will get a 4 day pass around the 2nd week of October. I have no weapons and no gear other than my issued camo and rucksack etc. I need to stay within 250 or so miles of El Paso and can hire a guide if need be.

This is probably a bridge way too far but anyone got any ideas or guide recommendations that would be OTC/landowner type deal so I can get outdoors for a bit of fun before going downrange? Thanks everyone and hope you have a safe Labor Day weekend and much success afield this fall!

Andrew

Check with the Mescalero reservation in ruidoso 2 hours away and see if they have any cow elk tags left

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Quail season will be open second half of Oct in Arizona. You would just push the 250 - maybe you could do an out of bounds chit.

Lots of public land. might could find someone who has a dog and spare shotgun.

eamyrick

WKR
I’ll 2nd Mike at westtexashunt.com. There are some good Aoudad options in your area. As far as gear you would just need some water jugs and a rifle.

OP
sixmilestill
Gents,
Thanks for all the tips! Seems like maybe an Aoudad hunt may be the best option if any outfitters still have slots this late in the game. I’ll put in a call to West Texas and see what’s up and if anyone else has any recommendations or ideas, please keep them coming. If anything, it will give me something to plan while I’m gone for the following season if I can’t get the stars lined up this year. You guys rock!

OP
sixmilestill
Most definitely! If successful I will bring the meat back to Fort Bliss and have my cook section have a BBQ for the Soldiers. I have a few thousand buddies on the ground to help and one of the 1SG's has mad BBQ skills! 🥩🍗🍖

psirus7

WKR
Andrew, you can check out hunt’in fool for NM tags, but they are usually expensive. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but why no weapon and minimal gear?

OP
sixmilestill
@psirus7: I'm short on weapon and minimal gear because I'm just mobilizing out of here. I'm originally from North Carolina so all my gear and weapons are locked up back home. Right now I'm living out of a rucksack so to say I'm completely un-prepared is an understatement. This is really a surprise potential opportunity for some free time that I was not expecting to get so I'm trying to make the most of it. Worst case I can't hunt and maybe I'll rent a car and drive over to Arizona and take a hunter safety class to get an extra point!

codym

WKR
Hey bro, I'm in Las Cruces about 40 miles north of you. If you do over the counter barbary I can loan you guns and gear, hear its a brutal hunt, but im always up for a good time. Let me know.

OP
sixmilestill
@codym right on brother I appreciate it! I'll definitely let you know if I go that route.

@psirus7 you're not kidding! I came out here for a month of training last summer up around White Sands and lived in the back of my Bradley the whole time....heat, altitude, terrain, snakes. Definitely a challenging environment....can't beat the sunrises and sunsets though...WOW are they awesome like every single day.