premium hunting ammo

bnsafe

WKR
this might be in the wrong spot, but, I mainly hunt mo whitetails with a 308 and shots at 50 yds. I am going west this year for mulie where shots could be from 50-250 ish, prob going elk/moose within a couple years. My question is does anyone have any experience with hornady precision hunter vs nosler trophy grade 165 grain accubond. Around here anything will work but want something premium out there beings I am on the under side of power.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Either of them will work pretty good! I have to admit that I am a big Hornady fanboy when it comes to factory ammo but I think the accubond bullet is better when it comes to penetration through thick skin and bone like moose have. I don't think that either of them are going to hold you back though!

S-3 ranch

WKR
Accubond is a awesome idea in .308 , barns ttsx , Norma bond strikes,
nosler partitions, federal terminal assent, all great IMO

forgot Sako hammerheads & power blade

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Federal Premium is pretty decent ammo as well. Accubonds, Partitions, A-frames, Scirocco's, Bear Claws, etc........all good bullets.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of wise words in the suggestions the above have offered you.

I am also a BIG fan of either a bonded bullet or a partition/A-frame style bullet in elk and bigger game.

Best wished on your adventures

this might be in the wrong spot, but, I mainly hunt mo whitetails with a 308 and shots at 50 yds. I am going west this year for mulie where shots could be from 50-250 ish, prob going elk/moose within a couple years. My question is does anyone have any experience with hornady precision hunter vs nosler trophy grade 165 grain accubond. Around here anything will work but want something premium out there beings I am on the under side of power.
I would shoot the Hornady Match loaded with 168gr eldms. The eldms have been awesome on big game for me in several different cartridges. I am heading to AK in september after moose and will shooting either bergers or eldms, probably ELDMs. With as well as they have worked on elk for me, I don’t have any hesitation using them on Moose.

axeforce6

WKR
Both will kill very well. Have you shot both? Which shoots better at distance for you?

ElPollo

WKR
I’ll throw an alternate opinion in the hat. I think we tend to overthink bullets a lot. And you are probably just fine or maybe even better off using the same ammo you use on deer.

Bonded bullets are generally good in the speed demon cartridges and 308 isn’t that. If you are one of those people who tries to push bullets lengthwise through a critter to the vitals, the bonded bullets may be a benefit. But it will come at the cost of otherwise smaller wound channels and longer post-shot trails. Standard cup and core bullets put in the boiler room will kill any elk or moose that walks.

ELDX bullets are a modern cup and core with higher BCs. If you are only shooting out to 250 or so, there’s no reason to spend the extra money on them because the BCs won’t substantially change your trajectory. If I were you, I would consider using the cheaper stuff and shooting more of it before the hunt.

YMMV, and everyone has opinions on this stuff.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
Many opinions on this topic for sure. After some bad experiences with thin walled cup and core bullets at close range, I have changed to bonded bullets. I have no doubt the standard cup and core type bullets would work fine at a certain range/velocity, but I prefer to be prepared for the odd ball close range shot. For full disclosure, the immense thread on .223 TMK has shown me that the problems I had may have been related to the thin walled construction rather than the cup and core design. I have not tried the tipped match king or other varieties, but I may. I do know my results on game, from pigs to deer and elk, had been nothing but positive with accubonds and terminal ascents. Ranges have varied from 15 yards to 300 yards with a 308.

The downside for me is the accuracy is less with the bonded bullets vs the match type rounds. Still at moa but not the precision of match style bullets.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I’ll throw an alternate opinion in the hat. I think we tend to overthink bullets a lot. And you are probably just fine or maybe even better off using the same ammo you use on deer.

Bonded bullets are generally good in the speed demon cartridges and 308 isn’t that. If you are one of those people who tries to push bullets lengthwise through a critter to the vitals, the bonded bullets may be a benefit. But it will come at the cost of otherwise smaller wound channels and longer post-shot trails. Standard cup and core bullets put in the boiler room will kill any elk or moose that walks.

ELDX bullets are a modern cup and core with higher BCs. If you are only shooting out to 250 or so, there’s no reason to spend the extra money on them because the BCs won’t substantially change your trajectory. If I were you, I would consider using the cheaper stuff and shooting more of it before the hunt.

YMMV, and everyone has opinions on this stuff.
I kinda agree on cup & core being very good
I have killed 90% of my game from Mexico to the artic circle with federal classic, elk , bear , caribou, big Mexican whitetail & mulie, aoudad sheep
and my favorite shot is breaking the shoulders and lungs
on moose just keep shooting till they fall over or run out of gas

my 308 shoots Norma 150 gr medium game oryx, cheap but very high quality ammo

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
For shots under 300 yards, I think the Barnes 150 TTSX or Nosler 165 Partition or Accubond are all hard to beat for elk/moose.

I also love the 178 ELD-X, which I have used on Whitetail and a Red Stag.

I would like a more stout bullet for moose or elk for short range and I wanted a potential exit wound.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, think I will stick with my precision hunters for the mulie hunt, shoot whatever is on the shelf for whitetails, and use accubonds for moose. appreciate the thoughts very much.
I was worried about expansion on a closer shot and thin game but sounds like I will be fine.

yfarm

WKR
Review effects of terminal velocity at distance on bullet expansion. I shoot a 308 with Barnes 150gr ttsx and have had great results out to 320 yds. When you go up to 165 gr velocity starts to drop enough that expansion is impacted in a 308. If you are familiar with these issues, my apology.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I am vaguely familiar with it. Here in mo I used core lokts for years but deer and close. When I hunt out west I bowhunt or muzzleloader occassionally. So not really sure what bullet to go with. Im betting moose will be within a 100 yds, but mulie will prob be further. Ive got 3 boxes of precision hunter in 173 grain eldx. But I could buy some accubond in 165. Just not sure what happens with those when you hit at 50 vs 250. Ive never shot copper, just feels wrong, lol. I really want some great ammo for here, and then another load for out west and further shots. Im leaning toward the nosler accubond out west and whatever is on the shelf here. But, I am open. I realize I could do better than the 308 out there, but hate to buy another rifle for 2 hunts.

ElPollo

WKR
My experience from shooting monos like the TTSX for years out of a much faster 270 Winchester made think they are very range/speed sensitive. Over 300 yards expansion and wound channels were less than impressive. I caught one in a pronghorn that I shot years ago lengthwise from the front at 355. It opened just a little bit at the nose despite the fact that it broke a shoulder and two ribs. I don’t take shots like that anymore with either lead or monos. If I were using a TTSX, I would probably limit my shots to around 2100-2200 fps impact velocity.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
will the eldx open up reliably from 50 to 250, and tell me about the partitions. I think you can get those in the trophy line also.

MHLS8611

FNG
I agree with axeforce6. Both great bullets. I would stick with which one shoots best at distance with your rifle.