prices for mountain goat hunts in Alaska and BC

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this question in the mt. got forum but did not get many replies, maybe a few people will notice it here. I've been researching outfitters for a mt goat hunt in 2016. It has become apparent there is an obvious price difference between hunts in Alaska and hunts in BC. Alaska hunts are usually $10,000-$12,500 and BC hunts are $8,000-$10,000. These prices come from outfitters with good references and a successful history in the business. Why is there a difference??? I can hunt an additional animal in BC and it is the same as a basic goat hunt in Alaska.

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I looked for quite a while before booking my goat hunt in BC. The reasons I choose BC had to do with several factors. Most of all, I will be bowhunting so I wanted an area that would have a little less pressure and more conducive to bowhunting. My buddy had just hunted this area the year prior and showed me pics of areas that were very bowhunter friendly. Next, the possibility of hunting multiple species--this particular area has both moose and goats accessible from the same camp. Indont know that I will be able to shoot both species, but I can hunt them. Also, the outfit I chose has a very good track record of large goats and moose, with high quantities of animals. As a bowhunter, it is nice to have more options.

After my research, I ended up choosing BC. My advice is to talk to as many people who have hunted with each outfit. And choose the place that best represents the style of hunting you want and the experience you want. With my research, I found the prices (once everything was totaled from door-to-door) to be comparable between most of the outfits. If I were rifle hunting, I probably would have opened up my research to a few more outfits and maybe saved a little money. But I like my chances going into next year's hunt.

Good luck!

SDHNTR

WKR
I looked for quite a while before booking my goat hunt in BC. The reasons I choose BC had to do with several factors. Most of all, I will be bowhunting so I wanted an area that would have a little less pressure and more conducive to bowhunting. My buddy had just hunted this area the year prior and showed me pics of areas that were very bowhunter friendly. Next, the possibility of hunting multiple species--this particular area has both moose and goats accessible from the same camp. Indont know that I will be able to shoot both species, but I can hunt them. Also, the outfit I chose has a very good track record of large goats and moose, with high quantities of animals. As a bowhunter, it is nice to have more options.

After my research, I ended up choosing BC. My advice is to talk to as many people who have hunted with each outfit. And choose the place that best represents the style of hunting you want and the experience you want. With my research, I found the prices (once everything was totaled from door-to-door) to be comparable between most of the outfits. If I were rifle hunting, I probably would have opened up my research to a few more outfits and maybe saved a little money. But I like my chances going into next year's hunt.

Good luck!
I went through the same considerations as Zack, and being only interested in a bow hunt, that is exactly why I booked the outfitter I chose in AK. Lonesome Dove. Regardless of where you end up, the above is excellent advice!

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider

Good luck!

zackman, what outfitter to your choose?

charvey9

WKR
I looked around quite a bit, and found that comparable hunts to be about the same price. If there is a difference, I would assume that part of it is the difference in cost of living between Alaska and BC....which adds to the cost of supplies, etc, needed to get you through a hunt. I've been to Alaska twice, and everything is more expensive than the ConUs, even McDonalds. The outfitter goat tags/permits to hunt in Alaska might also be higher than BC, but not sure.

After a lot of homework, I booked a 6 day hunt in BC for $6,000 next August. It was tough, but found an outfitter that had a pure back-pack/bivy "no frills" type hunt which keeps the cost down and made it reasonable. Seemed too good to be true, but the outfitter has only had this tag for 3 years and has been 3/3 on nice billies. Dream hunt for me. The only downside is they have never guided an archery hunt on goat...but for that price I'm willing to take my chances and will also be taking my rifle.

Contact Roy Roth and book a hunt on Kodiak... He's a bowhunter and you will get a chance at a goat.

I went through the same considerations as Zack, and being only interested in a bow hunt, that is exactly why I booked the outfitter I chose in AK. Lonesome Dove. Regardless of where you end up, the above is excellent advice!

I thought you were rifle hunting on your goat hunt? Lonesome Dove is a great place to go, good luck.

Jwhitney

FNG
Sorry if you have already posted on here somewhere else but I just ran across your old post for your goat hunt. How did it turn out? I'm looking for a similar hunt myself. Cheaper but I'm willing to work harder and not ask much from a guide other than get me to goat area.