Primer Pocket Cleaning

Coxen02

FNG
I am still new to reloading and at the moment I only reload ADG brass. I have been using a wire brush pocket cleaner. I have never used a uniforming tool because I read that the pockets are tapered and I would get more brass life by not removing that taper. My concern is that when I use the brush, it usually leaves behind some scratches on the brass inside the primer pockets. Should I be concerned about this or is it a non issue?

I'm mostly curious what others do for pocket cleaning if any? If what I am doing is okay or if I am ruining my brass and setting my loads up for failure? Do the more experienced reloaders out there believe that scratches in the primer pockets would result in more inconsistent loads? My thinking is that if anything, maybe i could effect SD/ES, but I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking. Thanks

Sounds a little minutia to me and I don’t think anyone could prove their theory one way or the other. I would call the brass manufacturer and ask them. And then also see what successful, competition winning shooters are doing. But with them, you will still often get varied opinions. Go with the manufacturers recommendation is my opinion.

BBob

WKR
Should I be concerned about this or is it a non issue?
Non issue. There’s a very very good short range BR shooter that doesn’t clean primer pockets at all. He wins a lot. I quit cleaning primer pockets and I didn’t see any change at all. People do lots of things they think they need to do. Most never test to see if it’s worthwhile, they just follow the masses and do what they are told.

OP
Coxen02

Coxen02

FNG
Sounds like I am being a little over paranoid about it. My gut feeling was that it wasn't causing any harm, but I guess it was just one of those things I couldn't shake! Thank you all for the insight, maybe I will just give up the pocket cleaning step all together

Vern400

WKR
I remove the crust from the bottom of the primer pocket with a little wire brush tool like what you're using. If there's just a 1x or 2x fired powder scorch I don't touch it. But if chunks of carbon are coming out of every primer pocket I'll take a good shot at cleaning them. The little scratches don't matter.

You don't have to deburr flash holes.
You don't have to separate head stamps.
You don't have to clean your brass even if it's been laying in the dirt for a year. Blow it out with an air gun and you're good.
You don't have to measure or know CBTO
You probably don't have to deburr your case mouths.
You don't have to set up your sizing die to bump the shoulder back correctly. Just bottom it.
You don't even need to measure velocity or ES.
I'm just saying there are lots of steps that strictly speaking you can skip.

I hunt with a few guys who can pull their rifle out of the truck and take a cold bore shot and break a clay pigeon at 400 yards. Most of the time, but not all. That's like a fun ritual on my farm. Those guys are pretty thorough.

It depends a lot on whether you're shooting a 2 minute semi-auto, a precision semi-auto, or a precision bolt gun. Needs vary with purpose.

TaperPin

WKR
One of the key things to reloading is figuring out what works and what doesn’t. There’s a popular saying with the top accuracy crowd that I’m also a believer in - choose a shooter who’s rifle shoots the way you want to shoot and copy it and their reloading system. Just basic techniques will get you 1/2 moa with a good barrel and minimal load development.

Even with a rifle that shoots 1/2 moa all day, cleaning primer pockets doesn’t seem to make a difference.

It probably does make a tiny difference that’s only seen when a rifle shoots 2/10th moa, or 1/10th moa - benchrest guys usually uniform the pocket and use the uniformer to clean the pocket.

I clean every case with a primer pocket cleaning tool that has a jagged face. Never compared if it makes a difference but takes 1.5 seconds to twist a couple times.

EdP

WKR
I clean primer pockets to ensure there are no carbon deposits that could interfere with the smooth insertion of a new primer. I have never considered it an issue that would affect accuracy.

TSnave

FNG
I do uniform and clean primer pockets. Does it make a difference? Probably not, but it makes me feel better, and that's all that matters. I've got a tool that chucks up in a drill; takes a couple of seconds so it's not a hardship.

I haven’t cleaned primer pockets in years. As stated earlier, I’m not a good enough shooter to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
My case trimmer has primer pocket cleaners that thread into the body of it that work great. FYI, for case trimming, this unit is not so great. It is pretty inconsistent due to the way it grabs the shell with the collett.

1704133430397.png

A lot of carbon comes out.

You can definitely feel the difference between clean and dirty cases when you are pushing new primers in.

Off topic, but saw it mentioned above, but I also observe a difference between cases that get chamferred/deburred and not. When I try to skip that step, seating is much harder and sometimes the case cuts copper off the bullet. If I deburr, no problems.

I've found wet tumbling with SS pins gets the pockets cleaner than I can with the little brush tool. I decap with a universal die then wet tumble.

A quick twist with a primer locket cleaner takes but a moment and adds a measure of consistency, albeit a small one, to loading. But all the little steps can add up.

Probably 30 years ago in my first Hodgdon loading manual, there was an analysis comparing basic case prep steps that included primer pocket cleaning, case trimming to the same length, separating cases by weight, case mouth deburring after trimming vs simple sizing, no weighing, trimming if needed and loading. Made a difference in group size. For hunting ammo, it's not a hassle given the low volume of loading a box or so each season.

wapitibob

WKR
21st century uniformer cuts depth not dia, I use it on all my virgin brass. I also use the small wire brush on a drill motor to clean pockets after they've been fired to keep the depth uniform, and touch up the flash hole with a #1 center drill to make sure the are no burrs from the brush.