Primer shortage - Magnum primers acceptable?

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
What we are doing is loading up a few with magnum and a few with regular and see what perform betters. Now tha tI have access to both...

What we are doing is loading up a few with magnum and a few with regular and see what perform betters. Now tha tI have access to both...
What does performing better look like? Better accuracy, ES, SD, higher velocity? Load work up with either should be done the same. Accuracy could be at different charge weights for instance. That being said, experience says you should be in good shape either way and whatever criteria you use, it will be what you want to use and thus you will feel you have the best for your uses.

Good luck!

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
What does performing better look like? Better accuracy, ES, SD, higher velocity? Load work up with either should be done the same. Accuracy could be at different charge weights for instance. That being said, experience says you should be in good shape either way and whatever criteria you use, it will be what you want to use and thus you will feel you have the best for your uses.

Good luck!
Accuracy - give or take 50 fps really wont make a major real world difference. I am hoping we can push this 185 grain bullet around 2850 fps - we had the 168 at 2930 fps.

Last edited:
LRPs in stock at Outdoor Limited and Natchez still if you're interested... There's been quite a few guys looking for Magnum primers, you might even be able to work out a trade or even sell them outright

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
LRPs in stock at Outdoor Limited and Natchez still if you're interested... There's been quite a few guys looking for Magnum primers, you might even be able to work out a trade or even sell them outright
I have a few, and the issue with online purchases is the shipping and hazmat fee - i'll wait until I can pick them up!

Recently, large rifle primers and magnum rifle primers were available online. This has been happening fairly regularly for some time now. The problem is they only last a few minutes before being soldout. So you need to be looking all the time. My advice is grab one type of primer at a time and checkout with it. If you keep it in your cart, to get others, they will be sold out of everything, including what you have in your cart.
These have been in stock for over 2 weeks:

$100/1000 is decent price these days, no? Lol, not the $25-$35 per brick back in the day when many of us, understood primers were/are the one thing reloaders are up schitt creek without a roll of toilet paper if they don't have. Plenty of powders and plenty of bullets even if not favorites. But primers kinda are the bottleneck, per se.

Back to the $100/1000... 1 cent per shot.

Hazmat is what it is, so maybe 1.25 cents per shot.

Flyjunky

WKR
$100/1000 is decent price these days, no? Lol, not the $25-$35 per brick back in the day when many of us, understood primers were/are the one thing reloaders are up schitt creek without a roll of toilet paper if they don't have. Plenty of powders and plenty of bullets even if not favorites. But primers kinda are the bottleneck, per se.

Back to the $100/1000... 1 cent per shot.

Hazmat is what it is, so maybe 1.25 cents per shot.
Midsouth had them at $88 just a couple days ago which basically covers the hazmat from other retailers. With how long stuff is staying in stock lately it's kind of looking like things might be starting to settle a lit bit.

I’m sorry I just went under the assumption that everyone knew and used safe reloading practices when working up a load. I have always used the half grain less method when loading LRM primers in standard calibers never had accuracy issues.