Primer storage - to enclose or not enclose

I am getting back into reloading and my bench is in a fairly dry basement. I am thinking about putting my primers in a container with a dry pack but don’t like the idea of creating an explosion hazard With an ammo can. I am thinking about something plastic but air tight Like some high end Tupperware.

thoughts or advice?

I store mine in an ammo can, with a dessicant pack. I remember reading a while back that a plastic primer tray can build up static energy, so I use a metal one now. Same thing with storing my primers, no plastic.
I feel safe storing the primers in the metal ammo can.
Tupperware is a different type plastic than what the primer flipper trays are made of so I don't see a problem, especially if you use some type of dessicant pack or other method of moisture control.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
as long as you leave the primers in the original package i dont see any problem with static.

the original pack is plastic on all of my primers.

personally i would not worry about the ammo can made of metal either but you can buy plastic ones that seal also.

The old timers kept their primers in cardboard boxes. I’ve never heard of a fire or explosion triggered by improper primer storage.

OXN939

WKR
Anyone ever had an issue with a batch of primers that were stored outside of climate control? Recently transferred mine into big Ziploc bags with dessicant packs just in case, but would be interested to hear if anyone has seen failures as a result of not doing this. I've heard from some pretty knowledgeable guys that primers are much less prone to failure than they're sometimes made out to be, and that ambient moisture/ oil transfer from handling them are non-factors

Wapiti1

WKR
I do nothing special with them for storage. They are sealed from the factory, and are way more moisture tolerant than many think.

I've had maybe 3-4 primer issues in 30 years of reloading. Most of the time, the primer isn't the problem.

Some of the primers I use are over 50 years old and have never been stored in a special place. I inherited 20,000 CCI Magnum primers from a great uncle. These are from the 1960's and have never given me any trouble.

Jeremy

rayporter

WKR
test some.
twice i have put a 209 primer in my coffee and bet the guys if the rifle would fire. it did.
large rifle primers will too after a couple minutes. try it. spray some with a solvent to see what happens and how long it takes.

Jakerex

WKR
I keep mine in like 14x8” plastic storage containers, cheap ones with lids that don’t seal well. I keep them in my furnace room because it’s the driest in the winter, and in the summer and spring I run a dehumidifier in there…..it adjoins the family room and laundry room. Basically, I keep them there because it’s the driest room in the house year-round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Mine are in ammo cans since I get them for free. No issues without dessicant but we have pretty dry air. I wouldn't want to see them go through a fire in one of those boxes though.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I always keep mine in a plastic ice chest. Same with power. All of it in original packaging, of course.

BTW, a guy who runs a reloading website did a test. He tried to kill primers with various penetrating oils, solvents, etc. the results were that primers are muck less sensitive than most of us have been led to believe.

Sled

WKR
I always keep mine in a plastic ice chest. Same with power. All of it in original packaging, of course.

BTW, a guy who runs a reloading website did a test. He tried to kill primers with various penetrating oils, solvents, etc. the results were that primers are muck less sensitive than most of us have been led to believe.

I've killed some rounds with Hornady one shot. Not sure if it was the primer or powder but squibs are no joke. Now I tumble before and after sizing. I also moved from one shot to lemon scented pam cooking spray. That one tastes better and doesn't have that nasty carcinogen label on it.

I have seen repeated exposure to moisture kill 209 primers. I'm talking drops of water over the course of months.
During EOD missions I've also found them outside after months on the ground and still had them fire after disassembly.

Last edited: