Primers

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I have a quick question. My only experience has been reloading 223 for AR and bolt guns. Now I want to expand into the 7mm-08. I have used Winchester and CCI primers. I have a couple of hundred CCI large rifle primers. my powder on hand is 4350 and cfe 223. Looks like the 4350 will be the way to go. Can I interchange the CCI primers for the rem as is called for in my manual?

I routinely interchange primers on starting loads (10% below max), as always check for pressure signs and work up slowly.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
So do different primers have an effect on pressures? I have never approached a max load in my limited experience with 223. I am a pretty careful guy.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Big Game powder will wake that 7-08 up. WLRM primers are great with it.

I've swapped primers alot to tighten up groups in desired loads.

Anything can and does change pressures, although admittedly not always to the point of causing a problem. Primers generally don't change pressure that much, they tend to impact the es and sd of your velocity more, but I would much rather "waste" 20 bullets, powder and primers to stay safe than try to take a shortcut and put myself or others in a bad situation.

If you can't find info on exactly the combo you want to use my advice is to Google more or be cautious and work up.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
Anything can and does change pressures, although admittedly not always to the point of causing a problem. Primers generally don't change pressure that much, they tend to impact the es and sd of your velocity more, but I would much rather "waste" 20 bullets, powder and primers to stay safe than try to take a shortcut and put myself or others in a bad situation.

If you can't find info on exactly the combo you want to use my advice is to Google more or be cautious and work up.

Thanks, I do not have the ability at this point to check velocity. Soon I hope. With the 223 I generally just load for the AR so i have not sweated primers. Have not noticed any significant changes but have played a bit with various loads. Loading for the -08 due to the expense of bullets will mean a bit more effort to obtain the exact load. I have some Hornady brass as well as federal brass. Once fired. Picked up some 140 accubond. i will also experiment a bit with Barnes but I am worried about not getting enough velocity to fully expand. We shall see.

Once you have established what powder charge range is safe in your gun with your brass I see no problem switching primers to see if it tightens your groups up. Not all guns have the same max charge and your max is infrequently the same as the manuals say.

I normally drop bullet weights a couple classes with Barnes bullets to ensure expansion, they're good hunting bullets even in standard cartridges. It's fun to try out different stuff, good luck with your 7-08.

The answer to your original question is yes.

I've only ever used CCI 200 LR primers and Winchester LR primers. I load mostly for the 7mm-08. I've never seen a difference between the two, and believe me, I tried. So I guess what I'm saying is I can't shoot the difference between them.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
The answer to your original question is yes.

I've only ever used CCI 200 LR primers and Winchester LR primers. I load mostly for the 7mm-08. I've never seen a difference between the two, and believe me, I tried. So I guess what I'm saying is I can't shoot the difference between them.
Thank you.