Prince of wales blacktail DIY

I am in the planning stage of a DIY trip. Planning to ferry my truck across and hunt off the road system and in Tongass national forest. From what i gathered the best time frame is the end of October-November but that doesn't work with are time we have off. Does anyone have first hand experience with hunting earlier in the season? Some guys i have talked to say that is isn't even worth the trip because they are to hard to find? We have the last week of September- First week in October. Any in site would be great!

EDIT : To those who saw excuse my confusion! I have been down a rabbit hole over my head reading hunt right ups for the last 48 hours got a little confused with my names. All well cary on. o_Oo_O

Last edited:

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious as to which island you are ferrying your truck to hunt on a road system? I don't know of to many roads out in the Sound. Your timing sounds pretty good. Everywhere I've hunted was pretty thick with brush and still had leaves on making it hard to see. I've taken a few and felt fortunate for those. You will want to get up high for them. I made a trip in the winter (December) and found some low but there was a lot of snow then too. It's harder for me because I'm hunting from a boat and winter weather can be super crappy.

OP
martensmax
I am curious as to which island you are ferrying your truck to hunt on a road system? I don't know of to many roads out in the Sound. Your timing sounds pretty good. Everywhere I've hunted was pretty thick with brush and still had leaves on making it hard to see. I've taken a few and felt fortunate for those. You will want to get up high for them. I made a trip in the winter (December) and found some low but there was a lot of snow then too. It's harder for me because I'm hunting from a boat and winter weather can be super crappy.
Now someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong i haven't yet ever stepped foot on the island. But from what i have gathered and talked to a place on the main island of Price Willam Sound that does a cabin and truck rental out of Thorne bay. That there are 1500 miles of roads to hunt off and if i get was just saying in his truck and or spiking out for a day or two to hunt further in that it would be do able. He claimed that the hunting isnt worth hunting tell the end of October so thats why i am trying to gather out thoughts on it. Would love the hear all the thoughts about my plan !

OP
martensmax
I also think you'll want to look at maps of the Tongass National Forest and not the Chugach National Forest :)
YES i am fully confused with my names! I have been down a rabbit hole the last 48 hours reading just about every rightup i can find. Do you think that my time frame is do able for seeing some deer even just a couple willing to hunt and hike hard. The last week of September- the first week in October? My friend from new york is hoping to meet me there.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
The time frame that you've picked isn't very good. Sure you MIGHT see a buck but as far as you're coming for this hunt I'd wait until you can time it better. Deer population is down on POW and not hunting the prime time will only make it tougher.

OP
martensmax
The time frame that you've picked isn't very good. Sure you MIGHT see a buck but as far as you're coming for this hunt I'd wait until you can time it better. Deer population is down on POW and not hunting the prime time will only make it tougher.

That’s sorta the thought.... it’s a do it then or don’t do it kind of trip. So I guess we gotta decide if we wanna go on a trip for the hell of it or save are penny for better !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
I stayed at Adventure Alaska in Thorne Bay twice quite a few years ago. Not deer hunting, but fishing and bear (unsuccessful on bear both times, highly successful fishing). Place is awesome, gear is fantastic and you get a truck, canoe, skiff and great place to stay. The drive would be an adventure assuming you're from Wisconsin. My understanding is you drive to Prince Rupert, get on the ferry to Ketchikan, then another ferry to POW. My 2 cents: look at the driving gas/hotel/food cost vs. flying to Ketchikan and float plane straight into Thorne Bay and decide. Driving all that way and sleeping in a truck off the road system or camp ground would be a great adventure, but I likes my comfort!

Since it was bear season, we saw deer everywhere, saw a doe drop a fawn in front of me and my daughter. No clue what it's like in the fall.

Even if you don't get something, going and doing it would be 99% of the fun anyway.

The deer will be there, but not in the easy to see alpine or the easy to access muskeg. Look for bedding areas on the edges of clearcuts. Put some money in the local economy too. It's a great island with tons of friendly people. If you come out without a buck, at least have some memories of a great time and great people.