Problems with Knight Mountaineer

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought a new knight a couple weeks ago for my CO Moose hunt I drew this year. I have previously shot my brothers DISC extreme for the last few years that shoots just as good as a centerfire. I picked up some hornady Great Plains bullets to break in and do some practicing until I got something else decided on. Well, the hornady bullets are a nightmare to start down the muzzle then once engraved ( first half inch from the muzzle) they fall down the bore, no resistance. I got my sizing pack in from Thor on Friday and same thing with the .500 and .501, the .501 barely got started then again on little tap once it was started and the bullet shot back down through the barrel. I call knight friday afternoon and was told they don’t recommend Thor bullets in there guns because the tolerances are so tight? Okay, so he recommended federal bore locks. I picked some up and at 100 yards with a bipod and rear bag on a bench some hit the target flying true ( round hole) and some hit four feet in front of the target then bounced into the target. Last shot you actually can see what appears to be the back end of the bore lock system tumbling through the air. All the shots where recorded using a phone scope and my Meopta spotter so it’s obvious where the impacts were. It seems like the barrel is bad. It is ridiculously tight at the muzzle as compared to the rest of the bore. Also, the test fired primer is a brand new primer. I had read a near identical story on another forum from a gun mfg in 2018. Sure enough, the gun I bought was from my local sportsman’s and the date on the “test fired primer” was Oct 2018. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt since I had such good luck with my brothers older knight(probably about 20 yrs old) but this thing is an embarrassment. Anyone else had similar experience with the newer knights?

OP
JO.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’m hoping they will take care of it. Sights that are rattling loose out of the box, test primer not fired and a barrel that can’t fire lead conicals because the muzzle is so tight in relation to the rest of the bore are not small hiccups you may expect when getting a new muzzleloader that costs around a grand.

Jo, your rifle is guaranteed - Email Knight address your email to Justin P. explain to him your problem - even send a copy of your post here. Your post really addresses the problem well.

You could even try calling Knight and catching Justin - chance are some what slim that you might get him but you never know. Believe me Justin is a good guy to work with.

He will see the email at some point.

Reactions: JO.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
My 2012 disk extreme had a loose barrel causing 8” keyholing groups at 50yds. Contacted knight and sent my rifle in and they sent me back a new rifle. New one shoots great. Great customer service, but I’ve heard of this issue a few times.

Reactions: JO.
OP
JO.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Sabotloder, thanks for the contact there. I will see if I can get ahold of him tomorrow and get it straightened out.

Certainly sounds like you got a defective barrel. They should make good on it. Hope they take care of you quickly so you can get on with finding your moose load.

If all else fails, steal your brothers!

Idahoguy

FNG
My knight bighorn had problems getting bullets all the way down the barrel and not getting stuck. Got a caliper and checked the box of bullets and they were all over the place in width. Found better bullets and have never had a problem since.

OP
JO.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
So I spoke to them this morning and the only option is to ship the rifle back on my dime and wait. He said he could not make any guarantee when they would get to it or when I would have a replacement sent. So $65 later the rifle is on its way back to Knight to see whats going to happen.

Last edited:
So I spoke to them this morning and the only option is to ship the rifle back on my dime and wait. He said he could not make any guarantee when they would get to it or when I would have a replacement sent. So $65 later the rifle is on its way back to Knight to see whats going to happen.

I really believe if they find what you have suggested in your post - Knight will back the rifle up for you.

I have had a couple of Mountaineers and they are really good ML's.