Projectile Choice: Lighter/Faster or Heavier/Slower

philcox

WKR
I have been reading a bunch on the whole small caliber discussions, and a question popped in to my mind (regardless of caliber). Is it typically better, from a "long range lethality" standpoint to push a lighter bullet faster, or use a heavier (and likely higher BC) a bit slower? (e.g, shoot the 107 TMK or 130 TMK out of a 6.5CM). Or is it really just about "retained velocity" at POI? And if that is what you are looking for, then I could use some ballistic calculators to figure that out.

Does the answer change for a mono type bullet?

This question assumes the "same projectile" being selected, just the weight being considered.

MosAZ

FNG
I would go with heavier and higher BC that usually results in higher retained energy at a distance.

djauofd

FNG
Heavier for caliber high bc bullets retain more energy at range. You must pay attention to velocities at impact with projectiles to make sure they can open up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot heavy/ slower every time. For no reason other than I like the idea of heavy. 180s in my 7 SAUM, 147s in the creed, 100s .243, 210s for the win mag.

180ls1

WKR
As with most things, a nice balance is usually the best fit.

Error on the side of fast for mono's.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great question IMO.

I was recently doing some load development for my 7mm REM Mag and was working with the 150 ELDx and 162 ELDm. The 162 has a higher BC but I couldn’t see a ballistic advantage out 1000 yards due to the faster MV from the 150. Both bullets were more capable than my shooting ability but I ended up settling on the lighter and faster bullet because it’s flatter shooting.

ElPollo

WKR
For the last couple of years, I’ve been focusing on smaller calibers for less recoil but using fragmenting, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets for less wind drift and larger wound channels. If I were required to use non-lead, I would stick with that model and use the DRT compressed tungsten core bullets, but I would shorten my max range to keep impacts over 2k fps.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
For the last couple of years, I’ve been focusing on smaller calibers for less recoil but using fragmenting, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets for less wind drift and larger wound channels. If I were required to use non-lead, I would stick with that model and use the DRT compressed tungsten core bullets, but I would shorten my max range to keep impacts over 2k fps.
I was looking at the DRT, but they don't make a .284 version ... bummer ...

My choice generally goes something like this. When comparing 2 or more bullets I like to choose the one that is least affected by wind out to my max comfort level on game. A generic example of this is comparing a 140 eldm and 147 eldm out of a 6.5 creed. If the 140 drifts less and retains more velocity at my self imposed limit of 700 yards, then that is what I'll choose. I don't care if the 147 is drifting less at 900, I care what is least affected out to my personal limits. I get a kick out of guys worrying about bc when shooting 200 yards or less. It's negligible. If I were to build a 200 yard gun I'd shoot smaller bullets really fast. It's always a game of give and take.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a desired maximum range. Pick a quality bullet/load that will be at or above the bullets min opening velocity at that range and the rest is just noise.

Example: Sooo if my max range in my 300WM is 1k yards and i pick a bullet with a minimum opening velocity of 1800 fps... I try to ensure my load will be at or above 1800fps at that max distance.

Now could i set an arbitrary energy at my desired max range too (1000lbs) and try to match the bullet and load for that too, sure. But were splitting hairs at this point.

If you have a confident load/make good shots/pick any decent bullet, then the rest is just idle banter.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I set up rifles based on the range I anticipate using them. Then, I find a bullet that will excel inside that range and hit inside of its velocity window for maximum performance. For my 223 its a 77TMK. Out of a 16.5" rifle it gives me a 400 meter range. My 280 AI is a 155AH at 3100fps for 500 and in. Or a 180 Berger at 2900fps for further out than I'd take a shot at anyways, but its 900 meters. Pick a bullet you like, that performs well in your rifle, and work up a solid load for it. Then practice with it. Learn it inside and out. So you can put it in the sweet spot from field positions inside of its effective range every time.

I have been reading a bunch on the whole small caliber discussions, and a question popped in to my mind (regardless of caliber). Is it typically better, from a "long range lethality" standpoint to push a lighter bullet faster, or use a heavier (and likely higher BC) a bit slower? (e.g, shoot the 107 TMK or 130 TMK out of a 6.5CM). Or is it really just about "retained velocity" at POI? And if that is what you are looking for, then I could use some ballistic calculators to figure that out.

Does the answer change for a mono type bullet?

This question assumes the "same projectile" being selected, just the weight being considered.

To me it is terminal performance throughout the possible range of shot distances and then best external ballistics (drop and drift). With highly frangible thin jacketed bullets, sectional density and heavy for caliber is your friend when it comes to terminal performance. I know little about the 107 TMK but I doubt it's a particularly deep penetrating bullet. In your example, I wouldn't want a 107 TMK @ 3200 fps for elk @ close range.

TaperPin

WKR
Everyone has different priorities - you just have to look at the ballistics of each and performance of each bullet the different velocities to see what matches up with what you want.

Copper or bonded bullets work across a wide range of velocities, so at moderate range clear to 500 yards or more it probably doesn’t matter which you go with.

At long range the heavier bullets usually hold up better, but slow velocity may be outside of a usable range for that bullet.

Some cartridges don’t shoot some bullet weights well, because of available powders that just leave it a little lacking, so that can be a consideration. With many powders in short supply and others just plain hard to get, this is more of an issue now than a few years ago.

Some guns won’t shoot a certain weight accurately - you’ll have to decide if better accuracy or the bullet weight pyou had hoped to use is more important.

sambo3006

FNG
I agree with the guys who are saying look at different bullets at your maximum self imposed range. I would add to use bullets that will perform properly out to that range. That doesn't always mean the bullet with the highest ballistic coefficient. High BC means nothing if the bullet won't reliably perform on game when it gets there. That might mean a shorter maximum range, but it all boils down to delivering a bullet to the right spot and having it cause lethal damage when it hits.

eric1115

WKR
Do both and shoot a 103 ELDX or 108 ELDM from a 6UM 🙂
Bike racer Eddy Merckx was asked whether it was better to spin a small gear fast or mash a big gear slow, and his answer was that he liked to spin a big gear fast.

I would take your max shooting distance(not max rifle range). Look at ballistics and see if the performance is acceptable and make that your bullet of choice. Generally a heavier bullet will get you there just the same as say a lighter mono bullet