Pronghorn longbow

It's been a few years, but i seem to recall the Pronghorn i briefly had as being shy of center cut by about 3/16" or so. The shelf had a mild radius to it, but because of the handle style it was subtle and rearward to keep it above the pivot point.
It wasn't a 65# plainsman was it? RMS had it?

I was hoping it was going to be a half breed, but my shoulders like the sound of 47#. what are you asking for it?
Im not sure, i would be willing to take offers. I should probably post it. Feel free to pm. The nice thing about the Great Plains take down is they can make u whatever limbs u want...other makers prob do as well. But having the same grip/riser shelf ect and diff poundage limbs is sweet. Ilf system in a trad takedown....

tater

WKR
It wasn't a 65# plainsman was it? RMS had it?
Nope.
If i recall correctly it was 59#@28" and was a 64" three piece. I traded it for either a JD Berry or a Hill ASL (neither of which i still have). I went through a period twelve or so years ago where i was horse trading bows every couple of months.

Nope.
If i recall correctly it was 59#@28" and was a 64" three piece. I traded it for either a JD Berry or a Hill ASL (neither of which i still have). I went through a period twelve or so years ago where i was horse trading bows every couple of months.
At rms? Its possible this is your bow....this is a 3pc...

Does anyone have first hand experience with the three piece pronghorn longbow by Herb Meland?
I’m looking for a durable takedown longbow for hunting up here in Alaska in addition to my current ilf rig and am seriously considering buying a used pronghorn. I’ve heard they are solid and sweet shooting but not particularly fast.
Thanks for your help.
They've been around a while and I've never heard anything but good about them. Although personally I haven't shot one.

View attachment 275608I wanted to follow up after all of the advice I got from guys on this thread.
I ended up deciding a three piece was a little too similar to my ilf bow, so I found a used 2 piece Robertson stykbow primal styk. She’s a beaut and a pretty good shooter too!
"pretty good" describes every single one-piece longbow I've ever owned (about 8 over a 20 year span). Once I got my hands on a good R/D takedown, I just couldn't stomach one piece longbows anymore, try as I might. Just don't care for the hand shock and trouble selecting arrows for them.

"pretty good" describes every single one-piece longbow I've ever owned (about 8 over a 20 year span). Once I got my hands on a good R/D takedown, I just couldn't stomach one piece longbows anymore, try as I might. Just don't care for the hand shock and trouble selecting arrows for them.
R/D =reflex deflex?

Everything about bows is so subjective. As well as knowledge, i have basic knowledge of the Great Plains 3 pc plainsman but ive only shot a few trad bows. I liked the idea of the lower, flat grip which was a easy transition for me as a compound shooter. I also didnt understand how the site window was larger on different bows. I mean without a sight..whats the difference...but theres a huge difference. This particular window is fairly large do to grip design. I was also over bowed. Its 65# and as a new shooter i should have bought a lower poundage bow. Its very well made, tough and easy to break down and pack . Shoots well for me but.....idk about speed. Play with arrows/weight and tune as well is a journey on its own. Quiet. Yes...smooth....yes. grip works for me. Purest will disagree i believe. If i dont sell mine i will have lighter limbs made....they are gorgeous bows....visually stunning without being "flashy"....

Oh. One thing i can say is they answer questions quickly and are polite a good company with knowledgeable workers....

Last edited:
R/D =reflex deflex?
Yes.

Every time I've mentioned that over the past 20 years, some traditional longbow lover will jump on me to say that "their" bow doesn't have any hand shock, or I'm just not shooting a heavy enough arrow, or I'm not holding the bow correct, or yada, yada, yada. Always the same thing.

Fact is, straight handled traditional longbows have hand shock and if you're not used to it, it can be quite unpleasant and even lead to injury (tennis elbow). At the very least, it made me want to shoot my traditional longbows less, which meant I was not as good with them, and so it went...

Yes.

Every time I've mentioned that over the past 20 years, some traditional longbow lover will jump on me to say that "their" bow doesn't have any hand shock, or I'm just not shooting a heavy enough arrow, or I'm not holding the bow correct, or yada, yada, yada. Always the same thing.

Fact is, straight handled traditional longbows have hand shock and if you're not used to it, it can be quite unpleasant and even lead to injury (tennis elbow). At the very least, it made me want to shoot my traditional longbows less, which meant I was not as good with them, and so it went...
You gotta do what works for you. As long as its repeatable, safe, and ethical.....hunt your own hunt bud.