Pronghorn State Ranking

I have a goal to hunt pronghorn in every state that I can DIY style with any weapon type. I may cut out California, Oregon, Washington, but would include all the other western states (CO, WY, ID, NV, NM, UT, AZ, MT) as well as South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and possibly Oklahoma (although that looks more like a landowner permission hunt)
The criteria would be including; hunt quality, animal population aka opportunities, public land access, tag price, ease of drawing a tag. I am not a big trophy hunter, but a 70+ class buck that represents the species would be nice.
I am from West Virginia so I can only go hunting out west once a year maybe for 10-14 days. So making a short term plan, mid term, and long term plan is important. One could even include season types (early archery, muzzleloader, rifle, OTC, Limited Draw, etc) in each term category. Which states would you put in each category for someone who doesn't live out west and why? I know Wyoming is obviously king and where most start first.
Thanks for any help, guidance and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Forrest

npm352

WKR
Cool post. I love hunting antelope.

I have hunted them a few states, but I cannot really rank...I can just tell you my thoughts.

WY- love hunting them here...tons of them. There are all kinds of hunts as far as quality and public land go. I have hunted in places where during the entire day I was never in a place where antelope were not visible with my naked eye. That is cool.

ID- not worth it. I have killed one here and helped on two. The draw odds suck for the quality you get, which is average. Only worth putting in for if you are already putting in for deer and elk, in which case it is worth the chance.

NV- had a cool hunt here. Saw 36 bucks in one day, killed the biggest. NV is neat because it has some super remote places. Limited tags though but quality is high.

UT- I have killed my biggest here and helped my dad get a 16 incher that was his biggest. Hard to get a tag. One unit was pancake flat desert. The other was a place where antelope were on ridge tops surrounded by trees in nontraditional habitat which was interesting.

CO - I dropped 10 points on a hunt and it was similar to a 2 point hunt in WY. I knew that going into it so I was not surprised. It is worth it to snag a point if you already apply here for other stuff, but a lot of years of points gets you very little.

I should draw MT this year but we will see.

WRO

WKR
Oregon has some great units, but non resident tags are near impossible to get. Nm has great goats, no points, but steep draw odds. Az is king, but near impossible to draw.

Is try to draw or buy a nm tag if you want to kill a good one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
ForrestGuy82
Thanks so far you three, that helps. I hope that I am able to do most of the states anyway in the next 10 years.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have not gone on an Antelope hunt yet but from what I’ve read. Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska are primarily archery hunting opportunities for non residents. They have draw hunts in OK for gun but the odds are terrible. Oregon gives almost no tags to non residents. I apply there every year for other species and don’t even bother for Antelope.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Cool post. I love hunting antelope.

I have hunted them a few states, but I cannot really rank...I can just tell you my thoughts.

WY- love hunting them here...tons of them. There are all kinds of hunts as far as quality and public land go. I have hunted in places where during the entire day I was never in a place where antelope were not visible with my naked eye. That is cool.

ID- not worth it. I have killed one here and helped on two. The draw odds suck for the quality you get, which is average. Only worth putting in for if you are already putting in for deer and elk, in which case it is worth the chance.

NV- had a cool hunt here. Saw 36 bucks in one day, killed the biggest. NV is neat because it has some super remote places. Limited tags though but quality is high.

UT- I have killed my biggest here and helped my dad get a 16 incher that was his biggest. Hard to get a tag. One unit was pancake flat desert. The other was a place where antelope were on ridge tops surrounded by trees in nontraditional habitat which was interesting.

CO - I dropped 10 points on a hunt and it was similar to a 2 point hunt in WY. I knew that going into it so I was not surprised. It is worth it to snag a point if you already apply here for other stuff, but a lot of years of points gets you very little.

I should draw MT this year but we will see.
Excellent breakdown relating your experiences with chasing those speed goats. Wyoming is first on my list for good reason, counting pronghorn along 80 as we headed for Afton, Wyoming and to Idaho for a mule deer hunt helped pass the time some. ID- I wouldn't apply there for pronghorn only, as with many states it would be a combo with a deer or elk hunt. NV is a long term state for practically everything outside of archery deer, but is on my list. UT I like that I can use a muzzleloader here to open more seasons for me. I saw that in a couple units I could get in for 5 or 6 points, most are 10+, CO - I know that archery tags are OTC, probably have to get permission regardless of season or weapon type. Most likely also would combo with either a deer or elk hunt in CO or a pronghorn hunt in a neighboring state like Nebraska, SD, Wyoming. I know that AZ is a ridiculously long draw odd there, probably would have to win a Super Tag there to go. From what I have seen NM even with no points is a mid to long term state, unless I buy a landowner tag or something like that. I could be wrong. MT- I bought my standard and 900 archery only bonus point there for the first time this year. SD- I bought a point there as well. I think archery is achievable in a short to mid term time frame, not sure about rifle. Thank you very much. I enjoy hearing others thoughts on something that I am interested in.

OP
ForrestGuy82
I have not gone on an Antelope hunt yet but from what I’ve read. Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska are primarily archery hunting opportunities for non residents. They have draw hunts in OK for gun but the odds are terrible. Oregon gives almost no tags to non residents. I apply there every year for other species and don’t even bother for Antelope.
I have read the same here for those three states, and I think OK pronghorn spot is panhandle only and one has to ask for permission, not much public land there. SD I would have to check on rifle, but they have archery antelope for NRs. Thank you.

weaver

WKR
Id forget about AZ if you're only after antelope. You're probably at least 15 years from drawing a tag and you'll have over a $1000 in building up points before you draw.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have read the same here for those three states, and I think OK pronghorn spot is panhandle only and one has to ask for permission, not much public land there. SD I would have to check on rifle, but they have archery antelope for NRs. Thank you.
Great thread to start! Can’t wait to read some more responses from others who have hunted in these states

I haven't hunted in any other syate then Idaho. Idaho does have a few units that are basically a guaranteed draw archery. I was lucky to draw a rifle tag my first year and it took me a day and half to shoot 70"buck. I had an archery tag last year and just for a challenge tried spot and stalk only. I had two shots both on good bucks and just blew it. I was within 20 yards of two separate bucks and it turns out there is such thing as being too close when your trying to hide/draw a bow being a piece of sage brush.28551.jpeg20190929_171302.jpg

Last edited:

jrm02

FNG
If you want to hunt bucks as a non-resident in Nebraska, archery is your only option. It is an OTC hunt in a state with limited public land, so there is a lot of pressure, but you can still have a fun hunt (just adjust your expectations accordingly). There is a late doe/fawn rifle season that is open to both residents and non-residents; these have limited quotas and are sold on a first come first served basis (and usually sell out quickly).

OP
ForrestGuy82
If you want to hunt bucks as a non-resident in Nebraska, archery is your only option. It is an OTC hunt in a state with limited public land, so there is a lot of pressure, but you can still have a fun hunt (just adjust your expectations accordingly). There is a late doe/fawn rifle season that is open to both residents and non-residents; these have limited quotas and are sold on a first come first served basis (and usually sell out quickly).
Thank you for the heads up on Nebraska, I am more about having fun and adventure than expecting to harvest a buck with 16+ inch tall horns wherever I go. I would definitely adjust my expectations accordingly. Going to NE, I would also bring my shotgun for the Upland Slam. Possibly even combo a deer hunt if I had the time and money.

OP
ForrestGuy82
I haven't hunted in any other syate then Idaho. Idaho does have a few units that are basically a guaranteed draw archery. I was lucky to draw a rifle tag my first year and it took me a day and half to shoot 70"buck. I had an archery tag last year and just for a challenge tried spot and stalk only. I had two shots both on good bucks and just blew it. I was within 20 yards of two separate bucks and it turns out there is such thing as being too close when your trying to hide/draw a bow being a piece of sage brush.
Thank you for letting me know about your experience in ID. I will have to check out those units that you spoke of. I really need to get my old 2006 PSE dialed in and learn to shoot out to probably 60-70 yards consistently and accurately for these wary and fast "Speed Goats".

OP
ForrestGuy82
Wow that is one beautiful tall pronghorn buck with some hooks and good prongs to boot. Congratulations on your trophy speed goat. I was looking at the draw odds in Nevada and to break 10% for rifle is 7 points and archery is 4 points. Definitely would be in my mid to long term plan. Thank you.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Just a little insight. I live in AZ and have 21 points and gohunt says I only have a .6% chance at the unit I apply for.
Oh my I noticed that for all units and weapon types that the earliest a NR can hit 1% is 18 points. That is absurd odds for both residents and non residents. I know that AZ likes to manage for trophy quality and perhaps their herds are low, but those odds are Bighorn Sheep levels.
I did happen to buy the ridiculous high priced non refundable license and a point for elk and probably threw $15 away for the pronghorn point. Probably will get the deer and sheep point too. Hopefully I can do the OTC deer and small game hunt in December for my birthday or January this season to validate that cost.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Oh my I noticed that for all units and weapon types that the earliest a NR can hit 1% is 18 points. That is absurd odds for both residents and non residents. I know that AZ likes to manage for trophy quality and perhaps their herds are low, but those odds are Bighorn Sheep levels.
I did happen to buy the ridiculous high priced non refundable license and a point for elk and probably threw $15 away for the pronghorn point. Probably will get the deer and sheep point too. Hopefully I can do the OTC deer and small game hunt in December for my birthday or January this season to validate that cost.
8 million people in AZ and not all that many pronghorn. Easy math

OP
ForrestGuy82
8 million people in AZ and not all that many pronghorn. Easy math
I figured that was one of the two options. I didn't realize that AZ had that many people, but I also knew that they didn't have as low a person population as Wyoming and high a pronghorn population either. Thank you for a simple clarification.