Proof Research Stock - new ultra-light alternative

So the UPS guy delivered my new stock a couple days ago, its a Proof Research carbon fiber stock I plan on using on a build. I've always been a big fan of the McMillan Classic Edge stock and have done several builds with it but with the recent reports of them being 28ozs+ I wanted to try something else. So the Proof seemed like a good option since I'm also using a carbon wrapped barrel for this build. The stock from first impression is really nice, slim grip and nicely finished. Weight is 19.3 ozs so super lightweight. The stock is inlet for a Proof Sendero but I will be using a new CF wrapped Bartlein #4 which is a bit smaller than a Proof barrel but overall it fits fine. The bottom metal is inlet for a standard bdl or Hawkins which I will be using. It came with adjustable pillars installed and action screws and also a tube of Loctite so really a nice stock. I think it will work great for a ultra or lightweight build. Sorry for the poor quality pics but thats the best I could get this evening.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Adjustable pillars? Thats a rather odd feature. For the price of their stocks it should come 100% ready to drop the action in. They look to have knocked off stocky's carbon v block beddi g system, which will no doubt be improved by actual glass bedding. They are sure nice and light, they do have that going for them.

OP
Oregonmuley
Adjustable pillars? Thats a rather odd feature. For the price of their stocks it should come 100% ready to drop the action in. They look to have knocked off stocky's carbon v block beddi g system, which will no doubt be improved by actual glass bedding. They are sure nice and light, they do have that going for them.

On the pillars, from what i can see they screw into a sleave thats already installed in the stock. I'm not 100% sold on how they would work, I will let my gunsmith decide how he wants to bed it when all my parts are in. Otherwise from a fit and finish point of view its a nice stock, I'm looking forward to getting the rifle built and see how it handles.

The pillars are adjustable to accommodate different bottom metals and to set the height correctly and flush. Proof recommends just bedding the lug.

fatbacks

WKR
I have one of these stocks too. Waiting on an action to show up. I’ll report back when I get it assembled.

I was debating on whether or not to just bed the lug or bed the whole action.... hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Oregonmuley
Any feedback after these rifles were completed?
So far the one I have done has been great. I hunted with it last season and sure like the way it handled/carried in the field. My hunting success unfortunately wasn't great but I sure enjoyed carrying the rifle:) I have a twin in the works now that should be completed on the next month or so.
The 1st one.

bdud14

FNG
Great looking guns. Any issues with the bedding? No accuracy issues with the adjustable pillars? Sounded a little odd to me.

Here’s mine that I just put together. 7.5 pounds scoped and suppressed. Haven’t shot it yet, but I like the stock. Debated between this and another gunwerks stock (I really like the negative comb), but decided the weight savings is what I was after. The adjustable pillars are only used to get the bottom metal flush as far as I can tell. Pretty slick actually. I’ll probably put some blue loctite in there to keep them from moving.
483fa58d7d9b5cf6bdf09a33afe19b33.jpg

OP
Oregonmuley
Great looking guns. Any issues with the bedding? No accuracy issues with the adjustable pillars? Sounded a little odd to me.
On the one in the picture which is the only one I have so far I've not had any issues with the pillars. I know my smith was unsure about them until he had a chance to look over the stock but he said they looked just fine. Shaen who built the rifle did do a bit of bedding to make sure everything was perfect and I will say it worked since rifle has been crazy accurate even with factory ammo.

bdud14

FNG
WOW those things are looking sweet! What barrels are you running on them? Was looking at the new bartlein carbon barrels.

bdud14

FNG
Really torn between the 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, or 6.5 PRC. I know all will do the job just not sure which direction to go. With this ammo situation I'm leaning more towards CM or 7MM. Good to know Shaen is familiar with this build may need to give them a call this week. What action did you choose? Leaning towards Borden TI

Jmort1754

WKR
Put my 300 wsm ridgeline in one. Stock was 19.2 oz. Gun with a vx5 3-15x44 weighs a hair under 7 and is very pleasant to shoot.

The adjustable pillars were a non issue.

OP
Oregonmuley
Really torn between the 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, or 6.5 PRC. I know all will do the job just not sure which direction to go. With this ammo situation I'm leaning more towards CM or 7MM. Good to know Shaen is familiar with this build may need to give them a call this week. What action did you choose? Leaning towards Borden TI
Used a Defiance Rebel on both, if you order it just right its not a heavy action and IMHO is super smooth. And unless you already have one I'm not sure Borden is building Ti actions anymore but I could be wrong. I do like Bordens, I have another rifle with a Borden Alpine and really like it but the Defiance is just nice and only about 5-6 ozs more than a Ti action. You might also check out their AnTi action, that one is my list for the next one I send to Shaen (y)

khuber84

WKR
Used a Defiance Rebel on both, if you order it just right its not a heavy action and IMHO is super smooth. And unless you already have one I'm not sure Borden is building Ti actions anymore but I could be wrong. I do like Bordens, I have another rifle with a Borden Alpine and really like it but the Defiance is just nice and only about 5-6 ozs more than a Ti action. You might also check out their AnTi action, that one is my list for the next one I send to Shaen (y)
You are correct, Borden will no longer make Ti actions. Their timberline series is only 5oz or so heavier than a ti model.

fatbacks

WKR
Posted this build on some of the Defiance action threads already... I am super happy with the Proof Stock. When I got it, I thought the palm swell was too small the overall feel felt too skinny. Was totally wrong... when I put the rifle together it feels great in a lot of different shooting positions. Been hitting steel out to 800 yds with it. Is it the same feel as my Mesa or McMillans? Not at all, but very shootable for an ultralight stock. This will likely be my go to rifle for most of my time in the field in Alaska.

Proof said no bedding needed, but I bedded the recoil lug with some Marine Tex because you could feel some slop in there.

IMG_1589.jpg