Proposed Light Weight Rain Gear Test..

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would be nice to see a head to head rain gear test. There is a lot on the market now and it would be good to test them out.
Mainly 5 Criteria: Weight, Durability, Breathability, Waterproofness, Value
Was thinking, 20ozs as the max weight? The weights & specs I found are from the web...

KUIU Chugach NX - 18.9oz (3 Layer Construction – 161 g/m2, Waterproof/Breathable: 20,000mm/24hr/40,000g/m2/24hr)
First Lite Boundary Stormtight (no weight found?) - (waterproof (20,000mm) breathability (30,000 MVTR))
Kryptek Poseidon Lightweight Jacket - 12.8ozs (2.5 layer - Monolithic Lamination, 100% Polyester, Waterproof (10,000mm) /Breathability (10,000mm))
Sitka Gear Dewpoint Jacket - 12.7ozs (3 Layer GORE-TEX® Fabric microtaped/ laser cut seams, 100% waterproof and highly breathable)
Others? Core4's new stuff? Something from Cabela's?

And to add some "non hunting" companies to the challenge:
Mont Bell Versalite Jacket - 6.7ozs (2.5-layer 15-denier Ballistic Airlight rip-stop nylon, Water resistance (20,000mm) Breathability (20,000 g/m2/24hrs))
Mountain Hardwear Quasar Jacket - 13.1oz (15D 3L Nylon Laminate with DryQ Elite)
Arc'teryx Beta LT Jacket - 12.5oz (Materials N40p-X GORE-TEX® Pro)

Or some crazy light stuff...
http://lukesultralite.com/content/gore-tex-limited-edition-shells
http://lukesultralite.com/content/pertex-rain-shell

Any other contenders for the top lightweight rain gear test?

Tests: (hard to test real world results without taking each gear out, but might be a good benchmark) ??
30 minute shower test (this can test both waterproofness and breathability in a controlled environment)
5 mile run in a steady rain fall (useful to gauge both waterproofness and breathability in a semi field environment)
Day hike with pack on in rain conditions (better if weekend) (hard to do much more if one guy or small group is testing all the gear in a reasonable time frame)
User feedback from actual field use in wet conditions
Provide standard spec sheets from manufacturer (type of fabric, how many layers, waterproof/breathability info- like KUIU, Kryptek, Mont Bell and First Lite provide)
List of Jackets with price
Some sort of abrasion test, but may ruin jackets, not sure how to really test durability in a short test, it would be more of a guess based on "feel". ???

Use tests then tabulate results, Pick winner by the 5 categories above, then pick overall winner

Or just buy what you want and quit reading about the new stuff.. ;)

After my little research jaunt to do this I found 3 that intrigued me.
KUIU Chugach NZ (breathability is the key to this one) $299 is steep though...
First Lite Boundary Stormtight (close 2nd in breathability claims) $275 for dry earth color (has to be lighter than the KUIU?)
Mont Bell Versalite Jacket - at $149 MSRP these seems like a heck of a jacket for the $$

Daniel_M

WKR
Actual field test in any rain gear packing a load will yield the same results, your gonna be wet.

We hiked in and up to group of caribou 2.5 miles. Began to sprinkle a bit when we entered the circle of death at 600 yards so we donned our rain gear. Luke was in Kuiu Chugach, I was in Koldo gear.

8pm caribou down and it went from a sprinkle to full on rain.

9pm done and packed. 2.5 miles back down in the rain busting brush with 80#+ packs.

1130 at the truck, both soaked completely.

I will say it was nice curling up to a Kifaru oval stove. Ill be ordering one for sure with a new tipi this winter.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which jacket dried out the fastest? Any noticeable difference in breathability?

Daniel_M

WKR
Which jacket dried out the fastest? Any noticeable difference in breathability?

I've used Kuiu and couldn't tell a difference in drying/breathability. Like mentioned we were both soaked when we got back to camp.

Packed up and left the next day so drying was a non issue, weekend fun was over.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used Kuiu and couldn't tell a difference in drying/breathability. Like mentioned we were both soaked when we got back to camp.
Packed up and left the next day so drying was a non issue, weekend fun was over.
So, based on your opinion and experience I have a few questions.

Why would anyone even bother paying the high dollar for the KUIU / Kryptek rain gear when something like the Marmot Precip, Mont Bell Versalite, Patagonia Rainshadow, Cabela's MTO50, or something similar can be had in the $100-$150 range?

How would your opinion have changed if the trip had been extended 5-6 days?

The whole mindset I was going through when I started the thread was that there seems to be a lot of hype around what rain gear can do, and I somewhat doubt the claims in real field use and I appreciate hearing what others have experienced.

I ran with some Bass Pro Red Head rain gear when I first moved to AK. It wetted through after a day or two of a 10 day trip. I then upgraded to Cloudviel Zorro jacket. It worked well and I would not have upgraded but I received a KUIU Chugach Jacket as a gift. It has worked well for me and I have not any issues with it wetting through. I have no reason to change rain gear except the Chugach is 17.3 ounces and I see lighter options at decent prices. I see a lot of hype and am more curious as to the real world vs. the claims. Going to do my own tests and see if some of this lighter stuff is worth trusting vs. the Chugach.

So, based on your opinion and experience I have a few questions.

Why would anyone even bother paying the high dollar for the KUIU / Kryptek rain gear when something like the Marmot Precip, Mont Bell Versalite, Patagonia Rainshadow, Cabela's MTO50, or something similar can be had in the $100-$150 range?

How would your opinion have changed if the trip had been extended 5-6 days?

The whole mindset I was going through when I started the thread was that there seems to be a lot of hype around what rain gear can do, and I somewhat doubt the claims in real field use and I appreciate hearing what others have experienced.

I ran with some Bass Pro Red Head rain gear when I first moved to AK. It wetted through after a day or two of a 10 day trip. I then upgraded to Cloudviel Zorro jacket. It worked well and I would not have upgraded but I received a KUIU Chugach Jacket as a gift. It has worked well for me and I have not any issues with it wetting through. I have no reason to change rain gear except the Chugach is 17.3 ounces and I see lighter options at decent prices. I see a lot of hype and am more curious as to the real world vs. the claims. Going to do my own tests and see if some of this lighter stuff is worth trusting vs. the Chugach.
my thoughts on your question:
the kryptek koldo is much quieter than precip or chugach, but does not have the brushed face of the mt050 that takes forever to dry.
breathability in raingear is kind of null to me as i sweat when i wear it if im doing anything really but pitzips help immensely. all of the options you mention are going to be similar in breathability performance. when you get away from breathable raingear then youre talking like HH stuff and they will not breathe.

where all the items you mention will really differ will be weight, durablity, price, noise.
i believe the chugach is a good medium of being fairly durable and fairly light. lighter options but they sacrifice durability. now if you think youre going to tear up chugach stuff, then i would think a heavier piece would be the only option, like the koldo or yukon. my koldo jacket it about 23oz.
some of the items are suited to being used as raingear (spends most of its time in a pack, used for occasional showers) like precip or poseidon.
some are better outerware with more durability, features, pockets (and weight)

Daniel_M

WKR
I guess for me is durability. I wear my outer hell a lot, even out of the rain.

I'm hard on gear, pants specifically. I've torn HH Impertech and Marmot Precip, even Kuiu gear.

colonel00

WKR
I can relate a story that I think you can relate to a little. I was up in Alaska for two weeks starting back on the 18th. As you are probably aware, it was raining for a good chunk of the first week. I wore my Koldo jacket during that time and it did quite well. Granted, the first part of the trip was more sight seeing with the girlfriend as we went from Anchorage to Whittier, took the ferry to Valdez, drove up to Fairbanks and then back to Anchorage. It pretty much rained the entire time and we were camping in a tent in Valdez and Fairbanks.

As I said, the Koldo did great in these situations where I could avoid heavy showers if possible and I stayed dry. We even stopped at the Worthington Glacier and I hiked up and out on the glacier in the rain without an issue. On that Wednesday, the girlfriend left and the guys arrived for our fishing trip. We spent the next several days up on streams on the Parks Hwy and the jacket still did well in the off and on showers as we were out all day fishing everyday. By the end of the week the sun was out and I was pretty happy with how the Koldo held up.

Now, the next week we went down to Valdez to catch silvers and the week started off really nice. On Monday the 26th we fished from Allison Point in decent weather but I think it was a little rainy so the Koldo did great again. Tuesday and Wednesday we had boat rentals from Fish Central which are basically just center console skiffs. On Tuesday the jacket did great again just dealing with the early morning chill and ocean spray from the boat rides.

Sadly, on Wednesday the typical Valdez weather returned to normal and the rain came back. Driving the boat out in the morning, I couldn't get the hood to cinch down and there was a good gap under my chin. The rain and spray was hitting me in the face and it was only a matter of time before it started to make its way in. We fished for a good while, came in to clean fish (again getting sprayed quite a bit at the fish station) and then I went back out with some other guys to try to get them fish. By the end of the day, I was soaked. Surprisingly, when I finally got the jacket off, the tops of my shoulders were dry but my lower sleeves and the rest of the shirt was drenched.

Since the shoulders were dry, I have to say that it did hold up in the rain to a point but the wicking from me having my hands in the water and cleaning fish along with the rain blowing in on my face and neck was just too much. Some neoprene cuffs on the sleeves and a way to better cinch up the face and neck on the jacket would have probably helped quite a bit more. Overall, I am still happy with the jacket but as Daniel states, when you are stuck in the elements and you can't hunker down and wait it out minimizing your exposure, you are going to get wet. My Gore-tex boots were also soaked through by that point as well.

With that said, I had on a merino top and a long sleeve North Face shirt on under the jacket and I didn't get cold even when wet. Once the jacket was off, the shirts did their job of drying quickly and getting the moisture away from my skin.

Also, on the pants side, I have never been a fan of heavy rain pants and I can deal with wet legs usually unless it is pouring. However, for this trip I decided to try to find a lightweight, packable alternative just in case. I picked up a pair of North Face Venture waterproof pants from Cabelas on sale before I left. They are very lightweight, compatible, and did a fantastic job that day of keeping my pants dry. These will definitely stay as my rain pants for future uses since they can easily be put in a pack without adding weight and they will hold up to quite a bit aside from busting thick brush. Granted, I wouldn't wear them in high activity situations anyway as my legs are always overheating and I would rather just wear quick drying pants.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
PM us your address and size and we will send you a Stormtight.
Which one of us where you refering to? I initially assumed me as OP, but you could have easily meant Daniel. Either way kudos for the offer! :)

Brad, thanks for the info. Being on the water adds a whole new twist to the question.

Last edited:
High Country,
If you are willing to do a comparison of the jackets we will send you one to compare as long as you have something to compare it to.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
High Country,
If you are willing to do a comparison of the jackets we will send you one to compare as long as you have something to compare it to.
Fair enough. PM sent. I am polling my buddies to borrow some others as well. I don't have any Kryptek, but can compare KUIU Chugach, Sitka, Cabela's Guide gear, and a handful of cheaper jackets as well as a few higher end non hunting brand jackets.

I own some first lite and love it, and have really been considering picking up their puffy and the jacket, for them to offer up a jacket and be free and willing to put it against other companies says alot about the confidence they have in their product. Gives me confidence as well.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
What about Sitka Cloudburst? I just got a brand new full set from Sitka to replace my 2007 model downpour I returned under warranty for free replacement. Free replacement was a shocker.....all I wanted was the interior pocket material and velcro wrist straps reglued where they had pulled loose over the years......but then the upgrade to the new better model......can't beat it. So my 6+ year old $450 investment in quality raingear got me $700 in new upgraded current model gear at no cost. Buy it once, for life. Amazing.

suchee

FNG
Im new on this forum, posting wise, but has anyone ever mentioned outdoorgearlab.com?

Use them for the non hunting side, amd with what we know or test from hunting apparel, you 'd pretty much have everything compared and covered.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about Sitka Cloudburst? I just got a brand new full set from Sitka to replace my 2007 model downpour I returned under warranty for free replacement. Free replacement was a shocker.....all I wanted was the interior pocket material and velcro wrist straps reglued where they had pulled loose over the years......but then the upgrade to the new better model......can't beat it. So my 6+ year old $450 investment in quality raingear got me $700 in new upgraded current model gear at no cost. Buy it once, for life. Amazing.

Where are you located?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im new on this forum, posting wise, but has anyone ever mentioned outdoorgearlab.com?

Use them for the non hunting side, amd with what we know or test from hunting apparel, you 'd pretty much have everything compared and covered.
Good info. This will help with the test. Thanks

Daniel_M

WKR
Which one of us where you refering to? I initially assumed me as OP, but you could have easily meant Daniel. Either way kudos for the offer! :)

Brad, thanks for the info. Being on the water adds a whole new twist to the question.

Hey I won't say no to gear to test ;)

Alaska is a great place to test rain gear.