Puffy/hard shell or insulated midlayer/softshell for Bow Hunting?

Ajstro

FNG
I am new to hunting, and I'm currently working on dialing in my clothing system. I have spent a lot of time searching the forums and reading articles but I am still unclear about the type of insulation/outer wear combo to use. I am currently thinking about either a light insulation layer paired with a softshell or a Puffy jacket paired with a hardshell. From all my research I can tell you that there are people that love and hate both of these systems.

I live in Virginia so a lot of my hunting will mostly be whitetail and some black bear. I also plan on heading home to Nebraska to join my buddies on their antelope hunt. As I gain experience I'd like to start heading out West. I know there is not a single system that is perfect for all situations and temperatures, but I am trying to find the jack-of-all-trades system that gives me the flexibility for 90% of what I can encounter.

Currently, I am looking at
Kuiu Super Down Ultra matched with Kuiu Guide DCS soft shell jacket

Other insulated layer I've thought of:
Sitka Celsius Midi Jacket, Krypek Cirius Down Jacket, Feathered Friends jacket

Pros
-Versatility. I can wear the soft shell in warmer weather, as it gets cold I can use the insulated puffy. I have snowboarded in really cold temps using this type of combo.
-More quiet then a puffy. More quiet than any hardshell I've found too.
-Durable soft shell material

Cons
-Heavier
-Soft shells aren't very compressible
-I already have a wool/fleece mid layer so do I really need a soft shell in those warmer situations?
-Not good for heavy rain (would bring light rain gear if the forecast warrants it)

The other option
Kifaru lost park parka matched with Krypek Poseidon 2 Rain jacket

Other Puffy options
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket or Sitka Kelvin LT Hoodie

Pros
-Lighter weight
-Compressible
-warmer at colder temps

Cons,
-Durability? Seem more fragile than a softshell
-Louder (Is this the deal breaker for hunting Whitetail?)

I understand that if I was spot and stalking I would probably take off the puffy once I start stalking, and that the puffy is mostly for those times that I'm stationary. I just don't know if its too loud to also work in the tree stand or blind world. Will the puffy jacket get in the way of drawing the bow?

Long post, but hopefully I've painted a clear enough picture of my situation, thanks for the help.

rwurdeman

FNG
Here are some of my thoughts on this.

If your goal is to eventually head out west then it is hard to beat the puffy/rain jacket combo. Like you mentioned easier to pack while still keeping you warm and safe from the elements. Last year I ran the kenai and guide jacket combo and while it did keep me warm and comfortable it was a pain to pack (weight/bulk).

Learning from last year's choices I decided to go with the puffy/rain jacket combo. Currently, I have the FL Uncompahgre for my puffy and the Vapor rain jacket. So far everything has worked out like it should. That being said the season is just getting underway here in Nebraska so I cant speak too much on this, but I have been VERY impressed with the FL gear. I am a pretty active hunter in the sense that I do not do a ton of blind or stand sitting and living out in the western part of NE it is windy often so noise is not a huge issue for me. As far as durability goes my hunting does not take me into brush so nasty that I am afraid of tearing something like that. That being said I am pretty hard on my gear and no issues thus far.

You talk about the LPP. That is substantially heavier than any others that you mentioned. Kind of in the same category as the FL Chamberlin in terms of warmth from my understanding.

All in all everything you mentioned is all great gear. It just comes down to preference and hunting style. Hope this helps.

For bowhunting I'd recommend looking at different synthetic puffy layers like a Kuiu Kenai (on sale as it's being discontinued) or North Face Ventrix. I personally prioritize gear quality/function over camo pattern. You're going to be able to wear them while active (breathe a lot better than down) and they're usually quieter since the fabric doesn't have to seal in the down.

Backpacking: Puffy and a rain shell is your best option for lightweight protection from all weather conditions. I've drawn my bow hunting whitetails in OK with my down puffy on without much issue. You just have to cognizant of how you move.

Softshells: The do all day hunt jacket from a truck or wall tent. They do weigh more, but if you want adequate protection from the elements with a relatively quiet jacket, then a softshell will work great. Best for blustery cool conditions with occasional moderate to light precip.

My current system: (Aug - Oct Oregon Cascades)
Merino 145, Peloton 200 hooded, Peloton 240, Down Puffy, Columbia 3-layer hardshell
I prioritized breathability under my shell for all those times I've spent hiking in weekend long downpours.

If you snowboard, then you probably are already very well versed in good layering/clothing system. I have found the alternating high exertion to stationary pattern in bad weather to be a very good test of clothing systems and highly transferable to hunting.