Puffy Pant vs Ski (Insulated) Pant

maufic

FNG
Is there a real difference between ski pants and puffy pants. Ski pants look less insulated and more "streamlined" but would a ski pant work for glassing on a late season hunt?

Thanks,

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have ski pants with inner thigh vents. As said above they are way more weatherproof and durable. While not as warm they are warmer than long johns under regular pants. I keep them around for my main pants when conditions are consistently crappy and I’m not super active.

Agree with these guys and the only other real tradeoff may be noise. Ski pants typically have a tougher (noisier) outer shell and are often reinforced on the inside from the knees down to reduce damage from boot's rubbing on the pants. This could be pretty noisy like some of the cordura gaiters.

Ski pants will also have a pretty large cuff for going over ski boots. Very flappy over normal boots.

I use the first lite SEAK pants over puffy pants when predator calling in snowy conditions. But if you have ski pants and some rubber bands for the cuffs, they would probably work similarly.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

As stated above they are way louder , making a scraping noise.
You could fix this easily I suppose.

Good materials ( goretex, rab) offer a lot of waterproof/breathability. They rate them

^Like this if your interested .. I always get goretex which is roughly 30k/30k rating. This is for winter ascents and backcountry skiing tho.

Most have a tab that you can affix to your laces that keeps them snug and connected to your boots. If your hunting Then gaiters over and they will be more streamlined around your ankles.

pair with a good pair of thermal long Johns.

I personally like Patagonia as they fit me well. With a lot of
Mobility without binding.

Rn I have a pair of brand new
Women’s XL Patagonia goretex pants. I’m 31” inseam 35” waist and have big calf’s, thigh and gluts. Men’s XL fits but I’ve found ( don’t ask) that this is the magic pant for me. It’s all black but the logo lettering is pink. Easy to use a sharpie to cover it.

Might be oversharing but functionally over everything else.

Macintosh

WKR
Insulated “Ski pants” covers a lot of terrain, but anything insulated is going to be for lift-serviced downhill skiing. That means they generally never taken off, rarely have any venting, generally arent required to breathe very much, they are more about weather protection than warmth, and they are never carried, they are always worn so weight is usually on the very heavy side.

“Puffy pants” to me means the pants version of a packable insulating layer made to be worn over other clothes specifically for warmth. Its light, packable (compressible), sized to go on over other clothes, and designed to be put on and taken off in the field and carried around when not in use.

There is some overlap. They are both pants. They are both insulated. They’ll both work for either activity in a pinch, but depending on what your hunt looks like (carrying them far?) Id say probably not ideal long-term.