Puffy with Gor-Tex/eVent exterior fabric?

Anyone ever use or have an opinion on a puffy that had an exterior shell fabric that is waterproof such as GorTex or eVent, I have seen examples online by Westcomb, Crux, and RAB (I am not familiar with Crux as a company they're based out of the UK). Basically the draw is that you don't necessarily need a shell since it technically is a shell and insulating layer in one. Most "waterproof/water resistant" puffys that I have seen have some combination of a DWR type finish and treated down. I have only ever had one puffy, a MH compressor and I used it hard for 6 years, it was very good to me but it's beat. Just looking for some perspective from a hunting standpoint as well as just general outdoor use standpoint. Thanks.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Anyone ever use or have an opinion on a puffy that had an exterior shell fabric that is waterproof such as GorTex or eVent, I have seen examples online by Westcomb, Crux, and RAB (I am not familiar with Crux as a company they're based out of the UK). Basically the draw is that you don't necessarily need a shell since it technically is a shell and insulating layer in one. Most "waterproof/water resistant" puffys that I have seen have some combination of a DWR type finish and treated down. I have only ever had one puffy, a MH compressor and I used it hard for 6 years, it was very good to me but it's beat. Just looking for some perspective from a hunting standpoint as well as just general outdoor use standpoint. Thanks.

I would hate to have to essentially hike in my puffy coat everytime it was raining but thats just me....

OP
Arbutusbucks
I would hate to have to essentially hike in my puffy coat everytime it was raining but thats just me....

Agreed Luke, I guess I'm more concerned about breathability under a shell. Since my shells are camo I can use whatever puffy I want. I just don't want to pick up a piece like this and find out it sucks since I am basical;y wearing a "double shell".

Steapandcheap.com (link below) was running a sale on the Crux Plasma Smock $260 vs $420 everywhere else, I picked one up over the weekend in my hands on Friday or Monday. It uses eVent as an exterior fabric, $260 is still a lot (for me at least )so I'll really look at it since I have never heard of Crux as a company but if its seems like quality and it'll last I dont mind spending the $$$. We have so many gear heads on here I figured someone had used a puffy like this but maybe I'll be one of the first.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/save-on-mens-insulated-outerwear/CRX0001-BK

OP
Arbutusbucks
Long story short I thought the jacket was awesome but the eVent fabric was just slightly more noisy than I would have liked. If one of my main applications wasn't hunting I would have kept it.

bdho

FNG
i always prefer a shell over the puffer. From a cleaning standpoint, easier to wash a shell than wash a down puffer.