Putting my Howa Mini on a diet

Big Howa Mini fan here. I have two now, a 7.62x39 that I bought as a barreled action, and a 6.5 Grendel I bought as a whole, new rifle. I spent about 3 evenings working down a Boyd's laminated stock for the 7.62x39 and finally got it where I want it. The factory plastic stock however, it's not quite as easy to work with as that Boyd's stock was, for various reasons.

I took the wood rasp, sander and saw out and went to work on it. First I slimmed down the forend to remove a lot of unnecessary weight, then I lopped off the pistol grip for the same reason. Those two things helped a lot, but it still had a ridiculously long forend for a mini action rifle, even with the 22" barrel.

Here it is after the intial reduction.

grendel 1.JPG

Eventually, I painted the stock, and this is how she rode the first season. 6 lbs. 13 oz. with a 3-9x40 Leupold, 22" barrel, full length stock and original (complete overkill) recoil pad were all adding unnecessary length and weight. The rifle was as long as my Tikka, and handled like it too. Not really what I thought a 6.5 Mini should be.grendel2.JPG

grendel3.JPG

Having time to kill yesterday, I got out my saw, rasp and sander and set myself to turning this rifle into what it should be.

Since this isn't a long range hunting rifle, I swapped the 3-9x40 for a 2-7x33. 7x is all I need out to 300 yards. That saved me 2 oz.

First thing to go was the complete overkill, fat recoil pad. Who would need that on a mini-action anyway? That got replaced with a Wal Mart flip flop for $0.98. That saved another 3 oz.

IMG_3824.JPG

Then I chopped off 2" out of that ridiculously long forend, drilled four holes in each part, epoxied in steel pins, and epoxied it all together.

IMG_3826.JPGIMG_3827.JPG

Another hour or so on the sander, and I got it shaped up and looking good. After a couple coats of textured paint, you can't even find the seam now. I figure that was good for at least an ounce.

Last bit of sanding/shaping was around the grip. I never had gotten that grip how I like it. Even though I have huge hands, I hate fat grips. Now the grip area closely resembles that of my Bansner stock on my Howa Alpine, which is my favorite stock of all time.

IMG_3825.JPG

Here she is in her finished form. 6 lbs. 5 oz. total. If you look closely, you'll noticed a couple other changes. I took 2" off the barrel, going from 22 to 20", and what's that underneath? A hinged floorplate on a Howa Mini? :D Yup. Sure is. Those two mods probably cancelled each other out weight-wise.

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

Off to the range next to see if she still puts up the same tiny groups as before. Only thing left to do is have a smith do a crown job on it if it doesn't shoot well enough with my home-brew crown. This is the 4th barrel I've cut and crowned with hand tools, and all of them have shot as good or better than the factory crown, so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for following along!

IMG_3830.JPG

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
My total cost for this project was $169 for the hinged floorplate bottom metal, about $5 for a single can of spray paint, $1 for a few sheets of sandpaper, epoxy and tools I had on hand, and about 1/4th of $0.98 for the flip flops.

Took me about 4 hours of my time, in between brewing some beer, cooking supper on the grill and helping my wife paint the house. It's been a productive day.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Shot good today. 130 Sierra Gamechangers over LeverEvolution were right at an inch for 5 rounds, and 120 Speer Gold Dots over 8208 were just under an inch. That's right where those two loads were before I chopped and recrowned the barrel, so no harm done there.

Never even gave the flip-flop recoil pad a second thought today. It worked and fit great.

22lr

WKR
Looks like a really dandy rifle! Great mods, and I really like the forend chop, very nicely done!

OP
Newtosavage
Looks like a really dandy rifle! Great mods, and I really like the forend chop, very nicely done!
Thanks. I'm sure I'll look back eventually and be convinced it was worth the effort. Right now, it still seems like a lot of work. LOL Sure would be nice if a custom stock maker would start making lightweight stocks for the Howa Mini. They aren't going away. They are only getting more popular as people discover how accurate they are, and as Brownells continues to sell barreled actions.

OP
Newtosavage
Looks good

tell us more about the homemade crown job
Oh, there isn't that much to tell really.

Hacksaw
File
Sandpaper (with thumb pressure)
Finish with a large Brass screw chucked in a drill, using valve grinding compound (or abrasive toothpaste if you have it handy).

There are numerous tutorials on YouTube

Nice thing about it is if you screw it up too bad, you can always chop off another 1/8" and start over until you get it right. I haven't had to do that yet, but I was thinking for a while on this one that I would. This is hand-cut & crown job #4 for me now and they have all worked out fine in the end.

I just did about the same to my savage model 10 7-08. I would really like to take 2" off the barrel though. What is your process??

OP
Newtosavage
Not much of a process. Cut off barrel as square as you can. Use file to square it up and shape the outer edges of the crown. Use sandpaper on the end of your thumb in a back and forth circular motion around the crown until you can't feel your thumb anymore. Then chuck up a large brass screw, tip it with a little valve grinding compound or abrasive toothpaste, and run the drill with the screw head pressed into the muzzle and rotate the drill in a circular motion to create an even crown. Inspect as you go. When it looks good, clean from the breech end only until the barrel is clean, then go test it out.

If you like what you see and you have a stainless barrel, you're done. If you have a blued barrel, use a cold blue pen to blue the crown, and you're done.

I don't use the steel wool like this guy uses. I use 1500 grit sandpaper to polish the crown at the end.

If any of this makes you nervous, go find a smith and pay them. But it probably won't shoot any better.

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
Oh, there isn't that much to tell really.

Hacksaw
File
Sandpaper (with thumb pressure)
Finish with a large Brass screw chucked in a drill, using valve grinding compound (or abrasive toothpaste if you have it handy).

There are numerous tutorials on YouTube

Nice thing about it is if you screw it up too bad, you can always chop off another 1/8" and start over until you get it right. I haven't had to do that yet, but I was thinking for a while on this one that I would. This is hand-cut & crown job #4 for me now and they have all worked out fine in the end.
This is awesome!

Ive always thought of doing this, but thought it would be a bit rough.

If its stupid and works, it aint stupid!

Glad to know it works just as well as the expensive option. make a gunsmith cry seeing that haha