Putting together a “kill kit” bag

Wrench

WKR
You guys should give this a peek. It can be found for a lot less thank $50. Its 4 oz. and has a locking blade, sharp as heck saw and THE best hide cutting knife you'll ever see. It cuts from below the skin and leave almost zero hair behind.....and of course tweezers and a tooth pick.
I bought one about 15 years ago and it lives in my kill kit along with this sharpening setup that has a carbide and ceramic side. It weighs almost nothing and can sharpen a butter knife.

Beyond that....I keep a few wet wipes in my kit.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
What do you prefer about the heavy duty gloves vs regular nitrile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure about troutbum, but I have used them in very wet conditions with a light wool glove under them. I always have a pair in the pack when I’m guiding in Alaska.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
You guys should give this a peek. It can be found for a lot less thank $50. Its 4 oz. and has a locking blade, sharp as heck saw and THE best hide cutting knife you'll ever see. It cuts from below the skin and leave almost zero hair behind.....and of course tweezers and a tooth pick.
I bought one about 15 years ago and it lives in my kill kit along with this sharpening setup that has a carbide and ceramic side. It weighs almost nothing and can sharpen a butter knife.

Beyond that....I keep a few wet wipes in my kit.
I have that same Swiss hunter knife. Even has my name engraved on it. Got it as a gift from my sister when she visited Switzerland. I’ve never cut a thing with it, more of a keep sake I suppose.

My kill kit isn't that different from what's been mentioned here. I carry my tag(s), a few zip ties, latex / nitrile gloves, a pair of butcher's cut gloves, a Buck 110 as a back up knife, a couple of quart ziplocs and that's all in a gallon ziploc.

Cordage, carabiners and first aid items are in other parts of my kit.

Kifaru UL pullout:

5-6 TAG game bags.
Paracord (25').
Havalon Piranta knife.
Outdoor Edge Folding Zippro.
Small amount of electric tape for tag.
2 oz bottle of hand sanitizer.
Nitrile gloves.

Last edited:
What do you prefer about the heavy duty gloves vs regular nitrile?

Just that I don’t have to be as careful with them. There have been many times that I’ve cut the gloves, and a few times that I’ve barely cut through them, but I’ve never (knock on wood), cut myself. They’re the heaviest thing in my kill kit, but that extra wt. has paid for itself many times over.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a large space blanket I can use as a ground sheet to keep meat off the ground. And can use it in an emergency as well.

Wrench

WKR
One thing that I see on lots of videos that makes me cringe is tag notching. When I notch a tag, I place my knife on the tag on something hard and pull the tag through the cut vs cutting the tag.

Knife blades don't mind being held statically, but they hate being scrubbed on hard stuff. I've even seen videos where the blade came off the antlers and was almost an accident.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
The notching is odd to me, I get why they do it and some people think it’s cool to keep the little triangle of the month and day. But why not just have a bubble and you can fill it in with a pen? That’s always been a thought of mine, maybe I’m alone here...

Wrench

WKR
The notching is odd to me, I get why they do it and some people think it’s cool to keep the little triangle of the month and day. But why not just have a bubble and you can fill it in with a pen? That’s always been a thought of mine, maybe I’m alone here...
I have erasable pens.....but no way to replace the notch.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I have erasable pens.....but no way to replace the notch.
That makes sense. I’ve also head of people using a heat gun to soften the tag adhesive to pull it apart and use it again too. I suppose there is a way around a lot of stuff.

Backpack Style Hunts where I'm being a weight weenie:

Kuiu Med Zip Dry Bag
Tags
50ft 2.2mm Reflective Line
Kestrel Mountain Scalpel handle + 5 60A blades
Caribou Carnivour III (bags only) or Wapiti Bags (only)

I usually now have a mountain caper in the pack as well which is capable of breaking down and deboning a blacktail while holding a good enough edge.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I have a used kestrel mountain scalpel on its way. Excited to get it, sick of meat and junk getting stuck in the havalon.
I like to carry five game bags for deer or antelope size game. They kinda take up a lot of room, Ive just been using the old school cheese cloth style. Is there a more compact style or brand to try out?

A little knife sharpener, and flagging tape is something I bring as well as the essentials. Flagging tape to mark blood trails, especially if weather is moving in can be important and weights nearly nothing.

No special or elaborate kit here. Gamebags, sharp knife (s) headlamp and small tarp already in my pack anticipating a pack out every day along with a few other necessities for a day or 2.

AWESOME thread!

I bought a mesh blaze orange sporting goods sack from Amazon it was like $6

My kit:

-Old Timer replacement blade knife/pouch
-Gerber vital saw/pouch
-5 Koola Buck game bags large size
-Pre filled out tags with holes done at home (Saw Murphy coming a mile away on this)
-Zip ties (tags)
-Butt out tool
-Couple lengths of string for butt out tool use
-Latex gloves/sleeves in their package

Not in kill kit but in my pack for use during field processing:

-Small pack of unscented wipes for clean up
-thicker paracord/rope
-replacement blades/replacement tool for OT
-contractor bags (1-2)
-pen
-field sharpener (not for OT blades obviously)

Pretty capable kit and about 30oz for the kit itself. However thats mostly game bag weight.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
For whitetails, usually far enough from road that I break down in the field and carry out: Tag, knife, 2 pr nitrile gloves, a wet wipe or two, about 20’ of 3mm cord in 2 lengths, a 1-gallon ziploc for heart and loins, a small ziplock tag baggie (my state doesnt issue waterproof / tear-proof tags), a couple zip ties, 2 elk-size game bags (2 legs, a backstrap and trim in each), and a pen. Also a short (8’ or so) length of 11/16” webbing in case I decide to drag, I find the web more comfortable than rope. I dont usually use the nitrile gloves but every once in a while they are nice and they weigh nothing/take up no room.

j_volt

WKR
My kit...
Outdoor edge knife + extra blades
Havalon + extra blades
1 black contractor bag
Game bags
Plastic gloves
Electrical tape
3 zip ties
Lighter
~25 feet of paracord