Q&A for Leupold Mark 5 Field Evals

I guess I’m in the bucket of people who assumed that scopes could generally hold zero and now grappling with the implications of that not being the case

Generally holding zero is a tricky mindset.

Do scopes generally maintain minute-of-deer accuracy when shot a handful of times a year at short distances? Yes. Is the general hunter a good enough/consistent enough shooter both in frequency of practice and performance to notice a rifle shifting .25 MOA from time to time? Debatable.

The type of zero loss or shifting that is discussed here is often the type of thing that's easily written off as a poor shot. If you shoot a three shot group at the beginning of the season there's a good chance that your "good enough" and Rokslide's "scope moved" are one and the same.

I suppose that assumption was baked into my previous statement.

Think about the alternative though. Snipers constantly missing targets because the scope can’t hold zero. Was that happening? Then they are rezeroing on what would have to be a daily basis in a FOB. Was that happening? And somehow through that, someone like Kyle nails a target at 2100 yards.

Are PRS guys who shoot thousands of rounds per month constantly losing zero too?

I guess I’m in the bucket of people who assumed that scopes could generally hold zero and now grappling with the implications of that not being the case

Of course military rifles have lost zero and PRS shooters have lost zero. In varying rates from all scopes i'm sure. More prone to failure doesn't mean they never work though.

When i was getting into this stuff the mk6 3-18 was very appealing on the spec sheet. So i called a friend who was running one of the special forces group's sniper school at the time for input and was advised that there were frequent issues with that scope on their "work guns". Tracking, zero loss, etc and i should consider other options.. For recreational hunting..

Last edited:
The fact that people get so caught up in what the military uses but then they turn around and say the government can't make good decisions/they don't trust them is wild to me.

If everyone had to work with or near the government for a few weeks or years you wouldn't be putting faith in their decision making processes.

Back