Q&A for SWFA SS 6x MQ Field Eval

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
are we doing a group buy to canada or what?!?!?
I'm still working on filling up that fun fund but I could be interested in this. I haven't checked lately but does swfa have any stock now?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Count me in for whenever this goes down.

Still can't for the life of me figure out how SWFA is cool with exporting to UK, but Canada is on the Prohib List? WTF.

are we doing a group buy to canada or what?!?!?

Have you ever been able to make an offset red dot work/be useful without the turrets obstructing the view?

Application is a 16-18" hunting AR-15.
I just did this on my 20" Grendel, got it to work with the strike industries offset rail mount and Holosun 503c.

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
Yeah I'm running it too on a large frame.
I will say you need a 45° mount, 35 isn't enough to clear windage.

Beats the heck out of any 6x lpvo if 6x gets more use that 1x. Relatively cheap too.

Around the same weight as well, better fov and eyebox. Same reason I went with the 6x and red dot and will be doing the same with my GPR.

After I got my first 6x for my Grendel and fell in love SWFA has replaced all my other scopes.

jonandy

FNG
If the SWFA 6x mill quad is the second best reticle for hunting, what do you consider the best?

By the way I have really liked the 6x! I have only had it a few months. I have shot close range out to 725. Even killed two Coyotes in the same stand one at 175 the other at 235. It happens very fast and I had not trouble getting on them. Thanks for the recommendation!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If the SWFA 6x mill quad is the second best reticle for hunting, what do you consider the best?

By the way I have really liked the 6x! I have only had it a few months. I have shot close range out to 725. Even killed two Coyotes in the same stand one at 175 the other at 235. It happens very fast and I had not trouble getting on them. Thanks for the recommendation!

For variables, the best/most useful FFP mil reticle I have seen available is the THLR reticle that is only offered in the Minox ZP5.

Dobermann

WKR
I’ll check it out. Thanks
If you haven't seen it already, check out two threads here about this scope and reticle - Form's review/guide thread, and the Q&A thread, which is probably the most thorough collection of other information about this scope and reticle combo that exists ... together, both are a great resource.

BjornF16

WKR
Accidentally drop tested my Tikka .223 RS special today as I was about to leave house for some range time… from vertical position (buttstock on floor) gun got away from me and as I tried to grab it, ended up just pushing the barrel away from me.

Hard landing on SWFA 6x windage turret on tile floor; big cringe. Wife was more concerned I cracked the tile.

Happy to find no change in zero! 10 shots off bench to confirm zero, then some positional shooting

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, and yes- sort of.

By and large consumers scream price, glass, features, weight, size. Generally in that order. By and large consumers don’t shoot much, and when they do they are so conditioned to checking zero and rezeroing (if they do at all), that the importance of such a thing as a static zero is lost on them. Most claim that their -insert scope- tracks and adjusted just fine, until they experience a scope that actually does exactly what it’s supposed to.

The manufacturers/companies are just an extension of the consumer- they have the same issues and the same lack of understanding.
Just reading through this. I ran a Vortex amg in comps and hunting for 4 years. I think once we all started checking tracking, companies got pretty good at making scopes that tracked. I had horrible problems with zero retention and parallax working properly. I had at least 10 different scopes through the warranty program. Every single scope would track to within a click over 20 mils (testing error?). They would not hold zero though. I had constant .1 and .2 shifts which easily show up on a gun that will shoot .375 moa for 10 shots. I thought it was lighting conditions or a problem with the zero from changing barrels back and forth and not shooting enough rounds to get a good zero. Some went completely awol and would change .4 mils from shot to shot. It wasn't uncommon to watch the impacts on the fresh paint on the first target and run a zero offset for the rest of the match.

Some warranty reps would say there was no issue, but they would send a different scope anyway. Thr paper they sent back with the scope always said " loose erector assembly". I was using Badger steel rings. Other scopes were fine. Part of me wonders what they do for impact testing. Either they aren't testing rigorously, or their design doesn't function when clamped in rings (obviously a large problem.)

Hopefully, with you shedding light on this, manufacturers will be forced to build a scope that works. Unlike tracking, they can hide behind bedding problems, ring problems, and pic rail problems, barrel not screwed on tight enough, etc. I hope enough people start to demand scopes that will stay zeroed through normal use. Many engineers believe since their design holds zero in their impact testing in the machine, that it has to be a rifle issue. They refuse to acknowledge a problem when Nightforce, SWFA, and others seem to have figured out a solution. Most seem to be satisfied that the scope is still selling and will gladly replace the few scopes for the people that shoot enough, and are knowledgeable enough, to recognize the problems.

ElPollo

WKR
I love my ugly 6x mil-quad super chicken. After a string of scopes that wouldn’t hold zero, I picked up one of these used a few years ago. It had some substantial use before me and has been bounced around pretty hard by me, but is dependable and has a great reticle. But no scope is completely bomb proof. Last weekend I mounted it on its third gun, a Tikka 223. When I was zeroing it, I was not getting any POI movement from a half mil windage adjustment in either direction. A little donk on the sides with palm of my hand and it adjusted fine. Only time will tell if that’ll be the end of the issue. Everything with moving parts has an unknown expiration date. But given the treatment Form has given these things, there’s probably years of use left in it. At $300 new, they are the single best deal around… when you can get them. I hope SWFA gets their supply chain and communication issues worked out this year. No one does what they do in the optics industry.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I had forgotten to update this scope as it has been in constant use by a couple of people. Used heavily, getting near 3,000 rounds, working without issue.

ElPollo

WKR
I had forgotten to update this scope as it has been in constant use by a couple of people. Used heavily, getting near 3,000 rounds, working without issue.
Still my favorite. What are you using for texture on the RokStock in those pictures?