Quality gear

I’m looking for some quality upland gear specifically a vest, pant, and a jacket/ coat or something of that nature and anything else you think is essential.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Orvis tough shell are waterproof proof pants and jackets. I love mine

letrbuck

WKR
Duluth trading Briar pants are awesome

Most of orvis's upland hunting selection is pretty good

Other essentials:
A dog that listens and a shotgun that fits

I hunt every weekday during the Montana season since I am retired.
I hunt with a pack instead of vest for many reasons.
I like Granite Gear Crown 60---60 liters and has lasted a decade of hunting.
IMG_0038.JPG

For pants, I hunt lots of wet cattails and like Grundens Commercial rain pants at $99.

For a shell/raincoat I like Simms which is often thought of as only a wader company,
but they also make quality rain gear.

When hunting hawthorn/briar country, I like Filson tin chaps.
Mine are over 40 years old and still going strong.

For water, I simply re-use soda bottles...a big 2-liter bottle for hot September hunts
and smaller 12-oz bottles for cooler/shorter hunts. Lightweight and essentially free.
For a dog bowl I simply use a plastic bowl.

The other item I always carry are Garmin inreach for emergency text messaging, a first aid kit, a compass, bear spray, 2 working headlamps.

Last edited:

TSnave

FNG
Pick up a pair of boot gaiters. I've been walking a lot of CRP this year and they really help keep the debris out of my boots. Military surplus can be found quite inexpensively.

Mosby

WKR
Final Rise vest, Scheels upland pants, Orvis softshell jacket and 2 pair of comfortable boots.

Tradchef

WKR
Final Rise Summit Vest( just upgraded from a Cabela’s vest I used for 20 years )

Prana Zion Pants same as I use for archery

Salomon speedcross or La sportiva Ultra Raptors for early and Schnees Beartooth for later

Duckworth Merino Wool shirts

Water bottles I’ll use Nalgene regulars and smalls and if I’m hunting creek bottoms I use a Katyden BFree filter on a Hydrapak soft bottle to cut weight

I mostly hunt mountain grouse in Montana so I try to stay as light possible

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a firm believer in "quality" gear and believe you get what you pay for. Never used to be able to afford it, but I am thankful I can now.

1) footwear - most important IMO. I've enjoyed both a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and use Mucks boots on occasion depending on the terrain.
2) Pyke upland game pants. So far-So good. Also use KUIU rain pants. Staying dry is a must if in wet conditions.
3) Vest = Marsupial. Really like their products.
4) Jacket = King of the Mountain. Really enjoy the wool for all around conditions. Breathes and keeps you warm.

Last edited: