Quality of brass from different companies? Lake City?

People's opinion of brass from common manufacturers seems to vary widely, in terms of desirability for reloading. And it also seems to change with time. Lots of "____ use to be the best, now it's just okay" types of comments.

Lapua and Lake City seem to be the only ones I consistently hear people holding in high regard, in terms of common manufacturers. But the LC thing is kind of surprising. Is it really that good?

Why is this?

What makes brass "good"?

Axlrod

WKR
I would add ADG to the Lapua & LC. Not sure why some brass is better, but some seem to have figured out the right mix of copper/zinc/trace elements. Along with the right manufacturing process. The rest crank out soft, inconsistent products.

OP
RockAndSage
So, bad brass at least, is too soft and inconsistent then? I imagine there's an upper limit to the hardness, before, what...split necks, and the like?

So, bad brass at least, is too soft and inconsistent then? I imagine there's an upper limit to the hardness, before, what...split necks, and the like?

You want "soft" ductile shoulders and necks and hard case heads. "Soft" to me typically means losing primer pockets earlier.

Long primer pocket life, web design that is less likely to result in sticky case extraction, ductile neck/shoulder area, consistency in thickness around the circumference of the case, and consistency in dimensions and other traits case to case are the things I think of when saying brass is "good".

OP
RockAndSage
You want "soft" ductile shoulders and necks and hard case heads. "Soft" to me typically means losing primer pockets earlier.

Long primer pocket life, web design that is less likely to result in sticky case extraction, ductile neck/shoulder area, consistency in thickness around the circumference of the case, and consistency in dimensions and other traits case to case are the things I think of when saying brass is "good".

Thanks for this, it's great info and is exactly what I was hoping to learn more detail on. Much appreciated.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I like LC .223/5.55 brass because it's usually free. I have also found it to be fairly consistent and give me very good brass life. That's what i call good brass. Gives me the consistency I desire over a decent life span. It's not as good as my Lapua but free vs $1 a piece is a no Brainer. Especially in something like .223 where I am more likely to lose a case to the shrubbery goblins.

I have never used LC in other cartridges.