Quartering and Packing out a Bear?

Hi all,

I think I've seen a few videos on how to skin a bear for a rug, but I'm wondering what the process is for leaving evidence of sex attached and/or quartering? I have a few days left to hunt this season and since I filled my deer tag, I will be (for the first time) exclusively chasing bears.

Thanks in advance.

Felix40

WKR
The states I’ve hunted required it be attached to the hide. So it’s just a matter of not cutting external the sex organs off the hide. Couldn’t be more simple.

The evidence is part of the hide on a full body skin job. No need to leave actual testicles or anything; the hide itself has all the evidence needed.
Start at the back feet, cut off through the ankles and leave the feet in the hide. Split to the vent, and skin both legs down. Pull the tail off, split the belly up to the chin. Skin forward and slide a blanket/tarp under the bear as you skin forward. Pull rear quarters off once exposed. Continue up to the head, cut the head off. Pull backstraps, tenderloins, front quarters, and fat off of the carcass. Ribs if they have enough meat to bother.

Poser

WKR
Skin out the balls and keep one of them attached to a piece of flesh -minimal pack out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The evidence is part of the hide on a full body skin job. No need to leave actual testicles or anything; the hide itself has all the evidence needed.
Start at the back feet, cut off through the ankles and leave the feet in the hide. Split to the vent, and skin both legs down. Pull the tail off, split the belly up to the chin. Skin forward and slide a blanket/tarp under the bear as you skin forward. Pull rear quarters off once exposed. Continue up to the head, cut the head off. Pull backstraps, tenderloins, front quarters, and fat off of the carcass. Ribs if they have enough meat to bother.

This is great detail, but can you explain this to me like I’m a 5 year old that’s never seen a bear or used a knife? Also, how does the hide (assuming reproductive organs aren’t attached) provide the sex?

I’m genuinely asking because I try to buy a bear tag any chance I get, but I’m not super confident in my ability to correctly process it in the field.

Thanks in advance.

dtrkyman

WKR
I think it is CO. who has a warden show it on a video available on youtube. Might be worth a gander.

ledflight

WKR
I also appreciate these beginner questions. When my friend and I gutted my first deer (his first time, too) I pulled up a video I had saved and watched it again in the field. No shame - we spilt no guts and had fun.
Bear vids online are mostly about hide prep.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Keep all the bear skin/hair on the hide and that will allow LEOs and biologists to determine the sex.