Which states prohibit or limit field-quartering of big game?

Macintosh

WKR
My state (VT) apparently allows it in some cases, but it is universally ambiguous and there is zero clear published guidance. I am initiating the process with the board that does hunting and fishing regulations in my state to clarify the existing regs and try to make sure that any clarification allows field quartering--even the state deer and moose biologist says its a non-issue for them. All of the other states I've big game hunted allow this and have clear guidance on any rules that need to be followed (what parts need to come out, leaving proof of sex, etc). For example, a friend in Maine sent me their verbiage which reads:
“Prior to registration, bear, deer, and moose may be dismembered for ease of transportation, all edible meat, the head and evidence of sex must be presented for registration. The viscera, hide, lower legs and rib cage, including the ribs, spine and pelvis, are not required to be presented for registration but must be disposed of where they are not visible to a person traveling on a public or private way.”
I'm also aware of a few states that either dont allow it or have weird requirements that either make it difficult, unrealistic or bothersome. Which states prohibit or limit this? I'd love to hear any details as well as reasoning as to why those regs exist.

edit: Major bonus points for a link to your states regulation about this!

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
I have no idea how anyone would ever get an animal out of the field if they didn't.
Most miserable experience in my life. I killed a real nice buck in Iowa. They have in their regulation booklet "head/antlers must stay connected to carcass until processed for consumption".
I should have at least lopped the quarters out. We saw a DNR truck parked at the WMA that afternoon when we went in for eve hunt.
I bet I dragged that gutted deer 700 yards through some serious crap country. Including 2 small inclines. Only saving grace was I was in great shape. Probably would kill me now.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I have no idea how anyone would ever get an animal out of the field if they didn't.
In my state its mostly whitetail deer, and becasue the nutrition is pretty poor with very little ag our deer often have small racks compared to other parts of the country--so when people talk about "big deer" they are talking about dressed WEIGHT of the animal, with 200lb being the magic cutoff when a deer becomes "really big". lots of people drag them a couple miles, which is horrendous in some terrain, but luckily it's not an elk. We ARE allowed to field quarter moose, but even that is often not done...I have no idea why. People hire a skidder or a horse to come drag their moose out instead of break it down--I think mostly out of ignorance. It's just not part of hunting culture the way it is in the west.

yfarm

WKR
“If a big-game animal is boned out or when a javelina is killed and nothing is removed or only the skull is taken, fold and adhere the carcass tag to itself leaving the entire face of the carcass tag visible. The adhered carcass tag must physically remain with parts of the animal that are removed and possessed”
from NM F&G regs

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
^^thats one of the ambiguities in my state, is that 1) there are plenty of places with zero cell service, which oddly-enough are all places I might want to break a deer down to get it out, and 2) our regular deer season mandates an in-person check-in (believe that is legislated, but archery and ML seasons allow for an online check in within 48 hours), and some of the law-enforcement people Ive spoken with interpret that as meaning it must be whole…while others dont. Not to mention the poor guy at the general store check-in who doesnt need to deal with some asshat (me) trying to check in a deer in 6 pieces when "everyone knows you cant do that".

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I was born and raised in WI and we had to drag them out whole, but gutted and drive them to a check station. Same with MO. However, now in MO we can telecheck them from our phones and after that you can do whatever you want. Not sure how it works in WI as I haven't hunted there much lately.

In Kentucky you can telecheck you deer and once you do that and fill out your harvest log, you're good to do with it as you please.

I can't find the regulations saying its okay to quarter but in recent years KDWF has released a youtube video on how to quarter and a published article, linked below.
So I'd say they're good with it 😆

https://fw.ky.gov/deerfieldquartering/Documents/FieldQuarteringYourDeer.pdf

I think the threat of and spread of cwd has had some push of the gutless method here.

I feel like years ago, at least in my area, that quickly quartering out a deer and leaving the rest of the carcass was associated with poaching a lot.

Dragging a deer sucks, quarter and carry is the way to go.

you should likely contact your DNR office for clarification. in Virginia you're not allowed to do anything with the animal till it is properly tagged. proper tagging is getting on the app and e-notching you tag

dtrkyman

WKR
Illinois was always whole deer, not sure if it’s changed recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk