Question dump: Maven adaptor, Seek Outside LBO, Iphone battery life

kyleds8

FNG
A couple questions for you guys, please chime in with your thoughts.

Maven adaptor binos to tripod head: running maven binos, I can't get the adaptor tight to the binos with a flathead screwdriver. By hand they wobble around like crazy. Am I missing something? supposed to carry a screwdriver into the field?

Recently gotten OnX, late in the game I know, but it's a game-changer and I now value having my Iphone with me in the backcountry. At first battery life on this Iphone was good, but after a few cold days and nights battery life has shrunk, and completely disappears in the cold. Is this common, and if so is there a fix? replace the battery? I'm fairly sick of how short an iphone's lifespan is commensurate to price, are there better, more outdoor-worthy smartphones?

Recently camped with my wife in Seek Outside LBO base+vestibule at 8000ft and had a poor experience. Fit was already tight to start the night off, even cuddled up, and the tent seemed to sag in on us over the course of the night. Went outside and all pegs were still tight. I seem to remember this setup advertised as a small two-man. We skewed the pole to one side and both slept on the other side of it, and even without a stove and all gear stashed outside it felt cramped and our heads and bottom of sleeping bags continually brushed tent, releasing a downpour of near-frozen droplets. I get that condensation is inevitable, and worse when near a tent's capacity, but this seemed like too much and really put a damper on the trip. What did we do wrong?

many thanks

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
The battery issue isn't unique to Iphone. You've gotta keep that thing warm or it'll think it's losing power when perhaps it isn't. I sleep with mine in sleeping bag and keep in a pocket close to body when encountering colder temps. If you forget and it starts doing the weirdness thinking the battery is dead, I've had good luck turning it off, warming it up and then turning it back on. Seems to reset the battery.

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
The battery issue isn't unique to Iphone. You've gotta keep that thing warm or it'll think it's losing power when perhaps it isn't. I sleep with mine in sleeping bag and keep in a pocket close to body when encountering colder temps. If you forget and it starts doing the weirdness thinking the battery is dead, I've had good luck turning it off, warming it up and then turning it back on. Seems to reset the battery.
how long are you getting out of it on cold hunts? I always keep in sleeping bag and pocket and on this trip battery tanked.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
how long are you getting out of it on cold hunts? I always keep in sleeping bag and pocket and on this trip battery tanked.
If I can keep it warm it seems to last a normalish amount of time. If it gets cold it seems to screw things up quickly. I’ve tried sleeping with it under my pillow thinking it’ll stay warm enough but have had it fall out and get cold over night only to awake with it virtually dead and doesn’t want to take a charge again until warmed up and reset (turned off and on again)

Im not sure why yours tanked if kept warm.

KyleR1985

WKR
It works as a two man sleeping with head in base and feet in vestibule, on either side of center pole.

I slept with my gf in the nest, on a double pad, sharing a quilt once. I’m 6’3, she’s 5’9. We experienced the same thing you did. That ain’t happening again.

hunting partner and I slept the way I described above, and had plenty of room for each of us, bags at feet.

iPhone battery-had the same issue, spent $65 and got a new battery, but I am also still using an iphone6……keep it in a pocket, turn it off at night, so far so good.

I always go bigger on the shelter, cutting the “size” states in half, drop another person for using a stove. So for my Luna 6, it’ll fit three, if I am using the stove, two.

I quit carrying any phone attachments becauee I just don’t use them and ended up carrying them around.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding the LBO, make sure you are staking out every available guy line. When silnylon gets wet, it seems to sag a little bit. I usually end up restaking everything after the first night and that helps a lot!

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
It works as a two man sleeping with head in base and feet in vestibule, on either side of center pole.

I slept with my gf in the nest, on a double pad, sharing a quilt once. I’m 6’3, she’s 5’9. We experienced the same thing you did. That ain’t happening again.

hunting partner and I slept the way I described above, and had plenty of room for each of us, bags at feet.
yes I had the same experience, why is that? seems like if anything should be more space sleeping two on one side...

Pardon me if you already knew this; putting your I-phone on airplane mode and "low battery mode" will make it last much longer, assuming you aren't hunting in cell service.