Question for the photogs here

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering if using something like the Kenko lenstoscope
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenko-KEL2SACS-Lens2scope-Adapter-Canon/dp/B006WASCC0
is a viable option to using a real spotting scope. I normally hunt the steep and deep on northern Vancouver Island, and long shots are not something that is usually on the menu. Thus I am a relative newbie when it comes to glassing for animals. I also bring my photography gear though,(all 12 lbs of it) and a Canon 500 f4 vii is going to be the next lens I purchase. It is not light. I am wondering if I can get away with using this lens for both photography as well as spotting scope duties with the adapter. Any thoughts from folks who have used either the adapter or the lens would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
I have not seen a review of one of these yet. A friend is supposed to be picking one up here soon, im also curious how well it performs.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
One advantage to something like that is to take scouting photos from the system, and go through Photoshop to do some enhancements. I think that could be pretty useful. Might be less advantageous if you have the rifle and tag and need to make a decision right now to go for him or not. Looks like a good camera will make or break the deal.

OP
RCA Dog

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks BB, that Kowa is very interesting. The main drawback of course is the aperture, a guy would do better with teleconverters if based off of a 500 f4. I also wonder about the cost of all the accessories, as amazon sells the base 500 mm tx, but I can't find the rest of the tx's. The weight is comparable, at 6 lbs for the Kowa with all accessories, and 7 for the Canon 500 f4.
On the reviews, or lack thereof, I agree. It seems nobody has reviewed any of these products. Maybe there is a good reason why ?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks BB, that Kowa is very interesting. The main drawback of course is the aperture, a guy would do better with teleconverters if based off of a 500 f4. I also wonder about the cost of all the accessories, as amazon sells the base 500 mm tx, but I can't find the rest of the tx's. The weight is comparable, at 6 lbs for the Kowa with all accessories, and 7 for the Canon 500 f4.
On the reviews, or lack thereof, I agree. It seems nobody has reviewed any of these products. Maybe there is a good reason why ?

If you just compare the 500mm setups:

1. The Kowa is f5.6, so 1 stop slower.
2. The Kowa lens and 500mm adapter weighs in at 4.18 pounds vs. the Canon's 7 pounds.
3. The Kowa is MF only, while the Canon will AF.
4. The Kowa supports the excellent Prominar WA eyepiece for viewing as a spotter, while the Kenko adapter eyepiece looks ... rudimentary.
5. The Kowa prism unit is specifically designed to work with the Kowa lens in particular.
6. The Kowa lens and 500m adapter cost $3260 (at B&H)vs. $9500 for the Canon 500/4.
7. The Kowa prism and eyepiece will set you back another $1000 or so while the Kenko is just $180. I think the eyepiece parts of the system will have the greatest effect on the quality of the view as a spotter.

The Kowa MTF looks great, and the Canon is widely known as superb.

Interesting thing to think about. I think I will stick with a spotter and digiscoping setup.

Last edited:

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
I had completely forgot about this thread. I've been using the Kenko/lens2scope since about a month after this came up. Mounted on a 500F4 with 1.4x tele it is a 100power setup and absolutely crystal clear low light rig. I've since sold the V1 500F4 but still mount the kenko on 100-400 with outstanding results and since im carrying the camera gear anyway the lightweight Kenko beats carrying a spotter.