Question for you Optic Guru's Swarovski CL Companions 8x30

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Was researching my Binos and ran into this Review on Liveoutdoors.com http://www.liveoutdoors.com/your-open-season-2/167541-product-review-swarovski-8x30-cl/

Im no optic guru so wanted to find out from you guys who know your way around glass well, is what he saying true or just hype about the CL's have better light gathering capability then some of the top end Binos? Obviously the CL's have less FOV thats a given as its a smaller package but was interested in his theory on the light gathering that this review claims.

Thanks in advance. Love learning about this stuff.

The CL’s internal lenses are fully multi-coated with the patented SWAROTOP anti-reflection protection. There are no fluoride HD lenses in this model, but this is actually a good thing when it comes to brightness. With less glass, the light can travel through easier. When compared to the 90 percent light pass-through of the EL’s, the CL’s actual have a 91 percent light pass-through. This means better performance for a cheaper price.

WRO

WKR
Yes and no, the light transmission is great, the glass is great for the price. You'll lose a bit of definition and color contrast compared to the els and slc hds.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes and no, the light transmission is great, the glass is great for the price. You'll lose a bit of definition and color contrast compared to the els and slc hds.

Thanks for the response You ever done a side by side comparison? Im super happy with them but this is the best Bino Ive ever owned but then Ive never seen through anything higher end then this. Wondering how noticable the difference would be to the 8x32 ELs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
IMO,

Swarovski is unquestionably one of the finest optics producers in the world. I currently own several of their products myself, and have owned others in the past.

That said, there are better choices available than the CLs at their price range.

The build is very good, but the FOV alone is quite limited, and it has nothing to do with the "compactness."

WRO

WKR
Thanks for the response You ever done a side by side comparison? Im super happy with them but this is the best Bino Ive ever owned but then Ive never seen through anything higher end then this. Wondering how noticable the difference would be to the 8x32 ELs.
I have played with them both side by side, I own 8x32 el swarovision and love them. The ergonomics , colors, edge to edge clarity, and detail are much superior. Is it 1300.00 better? That's subjective.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
IMO,

Swarovski is unquestionably one of the finest optics producers in the world. I currently own several of their products myself, and have owned others in the past.

That said, there are better choices available than the CLs at their price range.

The build is very good, but the FOV alone is quite limited, and it has nothing to do with the "compactness."

In your opinion, which do you feel are better choices at the same price point?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
In your opinion, which do you feel are better choices at the same price point?

These:

Meopta Meostar 8X32 (or the Cabelas Euro version),

Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32,

Both are optically well rounded with very good build quality and much wider FOVs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BTW,

The quoted review's claim that not having HD glass means better light transmission is hogwash.

Further, the idea that a 1% difference in total light transmission is even discernible is laughable.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
BTW,

The quoted review's claim that not having HD glass means better light transmission is hogwash.

Further, the idea that a 1% difference in total light transmission is even discernible is laughable.

Thanks man thats exactly what I was looking to find out. appreciate all the feedback.

stephen b

WKR
Not to put down your purchase at all. But, I agree with what Matt and others have said above- there is better glass in that price range; and the ones mentioned would be at the top of my list in that range.

IMO- even the 8x30 SLC NEU that was discontinued when the CL came out was a better optical instrument.

I did a review that I posted a couple years ago comparing the 8x30 CL when it came out against the 8x30 SLC NEU, and the Swaro 8x32 EL ( non SV model ). And lets just say to my eyes the CL did not compare real well. And there are many others that are quite knowledgeable about Swarovski optics have made the same comparisons; and have come to the same conclusions.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I remember that review, stephen b. Well done.

The 8x32 EL (non-SV) is still a fine instrument. One of my favorites in that configuration, including the newest most expensive models.

WRO

WKR
I remember that review, stephen b. Well done.

The 8x32 EL (non-SV) is still a fine instrument. One of my favorites in that configuration, including the newest most expensive models.
Do you get the rolling ball effect with the sv?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get the rolling ball effect with the sv?

I did originally when looking at the 10X42 and 8.5X42 versions after they were originally released. Later, I haven't noticed it as much when I have used them.

It seems that either Swarovski slightly changed the design OR I simply grew to accomodate it.

stephen b

WKR
Personally, I did not get much if any rolling ball effect from the 8x32 SV. That being said, there is a slightly different view effect that I noticed when panning with the 8x32 SV when I compared it to the original EL ( also 8x32). There seemed to be a slightly more relaxed view to me with the original EL while scanning.

That being said the 8x32 SV is an exceptionally clear; very, very sharp wonderful binocular. Certainly at the very top of discussions concerning the best 8x32 binoculars ever made. The whole SV line up is great. Although I am a little more of a fan of the SLC HD. But with all of these optic choices it is all very personal. Different strokes..... And we have a lot of great choices now days. Almost too many; can make a fella dizzy.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Not to put down your purchase at all. But, I agree with what Matt and others have said above- there is better glass in that price range; and the ones mentioned would be at the top of my list in that range.

IMO- even the 8x30 SLC NEU that was discontinued when the CL came out was a better optical instrument.

I did a review that I posted a couple years ago comparing the 8x30 CL when it came out against the 8x30 SLC NEU, and the Swaro 8x32 EL ( non SV model ). And lets just say to my eyes the CL did not compare real well. And there are many others that are quite knowledgeable about Swarovski optics have made the same comparisons; and have come to the same conclusions.

Thanks Stephen. I cant say Im disappointed at all for my purchase. The CL's for me are a great addition to my Kit and much better then my Nikons I was using. So I have no complaints.

stephen b

WKR
Thanks Stephen. I cant say Im disappointed at all for my purchase. The CL's for me are a great addition to my Kit and much better then my Nikons I was using. So I have no complaints.

That is wonderful to hear, and that is really all that is important. And when it comes right down to it, the 8x30 Swaro CL is not going handicap you or let you down when hunting compared to any other 8x30 binocular. With these optics tests and reviews, I admit, we are most of the time splitting hairs.

Heck, I have a mid 70's era Swarovski 10x40 Habicht porro prism binocular that has a slight warm amber hue to the glass that I would not feel handicapped to use for my main hunting bin if that was all I had. For just resolving detail and seeing animals, I have compared it to optics that cost 10x what I paid for them, and it does not do too shabby at all.

Enjoy your new binoculars!

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to see Swarovski add an 8x32 SLC to the lineup (I know.... not gonna happen with the CL around...).

I did originally when looking at the 10X42 and 8.5X42 versions after they were originally released. Later, I haven't noticed it as much when I have used them.

It seems that either Swarovski slightly changed the design OR I simply grew to accomodate it.

It's funny you say that, my father picked them up and used them for a year and absolutely hated them, he got the globe effect, I did not. Finally had enough, sold them and bought the SLC. I know it's sacrilege but we both like the SLC better.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny you say that, my father picked them up and used them for a year and absolutely hated them, he got the globe effect, I did not. Finally had enough, sold them and bought the SLC. I know it's sacrilege but we both like the SLC better.

It certainly isn't sacrilege. Many people, myself included prefer the SLC's view over the EL SV. It is more optimized for low light viewing, and includes some distortion for comfortable panning.

I like to look at it as Swarovski offering two flagship options, depending on your preferences. Zeiss does the same thing with the HT and SF.