Question on Bags and carrying meat

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
So I really like the idea of the Mystery Ranch style bags that the main Cargo portion of the bag you can detach the top of the bag from the Frame and slide meat, cape, or a large quarter down against your back and then reattach the cargo portion. This keeps the weight close to your back and also keeps meat and your hunting supplies, extra cloths, glass etc seperate from the meat. Ive noticed some bags are designed in such a way that you'd need to put your meat into the cargo portion amongst your supplies etc. Why would anyone want to do this?.

So I really like the idea of the Mystery Ranch style bags that the main Cargo portion of the bag you can detach the top of the bag from the Frame and slide meat, cape, or a large quarter down against your back and then reattach the cargo portion. This keeps the weight close to your back and also keeps meat and your hunting supplies, extra cloths, glass etc seperate from the meat. Ive noticed some bags are designed in such a way that you'd need to put your meat into the cargo portion amongst your supplies etc. Why would anyone want to do this?.

Some people like to just dump it in there. Personally I don’t. Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, MR, and others all use the meat shelf concept and it’s worked great for me. 5374AAB0-9E27-4332-B117-4D6BBD4B26A9.jpeg

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a 55L dry bag or a contractor garbage bag so I can just drop it into my pack with the rest of my gear and off I go. For me I dont really like using my pack full of gear as a compression panel for the meat shelf but If im loaded full of gear and its my only option then Ill do whatever it takes to get the job done. Its really personal preference on if you like a meat shelf or not but either way i try and put bloody stuff in a bag first to keep my clothes, gear, pack, and truck seats from needing a cleaning.

LJ Buck

WKR
I think putting the meat in the bag is the easiest and most efficient way when carrying all your gear plus meat. I compartmentalize all my gear in dry bags so I don’t worry about blood. I am out hunting so the blood doesn’t bother me either. As for load shelf set ups I like SG the best. I think Kifaru handles the most weight the best and if you know how to handle the meat and use the proper bags then all my gear stays fairly clean.

I get confused on why so many people worry about getting items dirty or blood on them. You are spending how many thousands on gear and tags plus time and you are concerned about something that washes right off. This is all just my thoughts each to their own.

Drew

FNG
I thought the Kifaru meat shelf worked well. There is some set up time involved but it’s not bad. I guess it would be easier to throw it in the main bag and put you gear in the dry bag.

Outlaw99

WKR
I think putting the meat in the bag is the easiest and most efficient way when carrying all your gear plus meat. I compartmentalize all my gear in dry bags so I don’t worry about blood. I am out hunting so the blood doesn’t bother me either. As for load shelf set ups I like SG the best. I think Kifaru handles the most weight the best and if you know how to handle the meat and use the proper bags then all my gear stays fairly clean.

I get confused on why so many people worry about getting items dirty or blood on them. You are spending how many thousands on gear and tags plus time and you are concerned about something that washes right off. This is all just my thoughts each to their own.

This post is spot on!

The more I use meat shelves the bigger pain they become. I will be going to a larger bag that I can put the meat. It's way faster and convenient

Too much hassle with a meat shelf situation. Much easier for me to open the amr, drop in whatever I want to carry, and walk away. No silly bag separation or strapping around items in the pack while trying to secure a meat bag between the bag and frame. Ymmv

Mitten32

WKR
Meat goes in a OR 55L dry bag then straight in the pack. I haven’t had any blood get on my pack or any of the items within the pack using that method. Also if you put some gear at the bottom of your pack and then place the meat in. It’s not only close to your back, it’s now in an elevated position, which improves the comfort of the pack out in my opinion.

SG 5900 Deer on the load shelf and camp in the bag.

Attachments

• 11716.jpeg
    11716.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 55

netman

WKR
My pack has the meat shelf but I’m like the others. I have a large trash bag that I put in the pack and then put the game bagged deboned meat into the trash bag. When hunting I travel fairly light.

My pack is essentially layers of gear. Sleeping bag compressed into the bottom, food and gear on top of that, jackets on the top. I dont see any benefit of rearranging all of that and needing to put everything in it's own pouch just to put the meat inside the bag. My deboned meat goes into 1 meat bag, which I can slide onto the load shelf from the side without opening the entire meat shelf. I hike away knowing that my sleeping bag won't be bloody and the meat is as close to the frame as possible. Also, this allows me to run a smaller size bag because I dont have to account for a whole deer fitting inside the bag. I would estimate that it takes well under a minute to slide the meat bag in and tighten the straps.

WCB

WKR
I'm with the OP. I like a meat shelf. I use an SG pack and one you do it once or twice it takes MAYBE 2 or 3 minutes longer to back the meat rather than dump it in a back.

Granted using a large plastic bag stuff inside shouldn't get bloody but I don't want to carry a plastic bag in my pack and like to be able to just stuff shirts, gloves, hats in my pack and not have them soaked in blood. Also, yeah I'm hunting and blood is part of it but why get more stuff bloody and dirty when I don't have to?

In the end to each their own I highly prefer a load shelf.

bm-55

FNG
I upgraded to a meat shelf a few years ago and really like it... some good points made above, contractor bags are convenient and you don't have to fiddle with straps. Having the weight closer to your back and leaving stuff as-is in the bag has been preferable for me.