question on headlamps/GPS and batteries

Luked

WKR
trying to get my list of gear narrowed down for a hunt. this will be my first trip out west this next season so trying to figure this all out.
on lighting I have the flashlight I want it's a fenix PD35 that takes either 2 cr123a batteries or a single 18650. now I assume that the 18650 is the same size as a AA battery? and if so what headlamp would either take this same battery or use AA that way I don't have to carry multiple different kinda of batteries for flashlight, headlamp, and GPS

Shrek

WKR
Zebra 52H or 52HF uses AA batteries and a lithium battery lasts days of field use. I Have two and I skip the flashlight. Zebra is plenty bright for anything you'll need.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
ok thanks bud
was looking at the fenix headlamps. the HL55 was the one I was looking at anyone use one of those?

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
Zebra 52H or 52HF uses AA batteries and a lithium battery lasts days of field use. I Have two and I skip the flashlight. Zebra is plenty bright for anything you'll need.

x2 on zebra lights, I got the H502w this year also to try to keep my batteries the same and it works awesome. Also, like Shrek said, no need for a flashlight, just take the zebra out of the strap if you want it to be hand held.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
like Shrek said, no need for a flashlight, just take the zebra out of the strap if you want it to be hand held.

That's all and fine until your batteries die and you need to change them, or your headlamp quits. I found this out a few years ago when my mini-mag burned out a bulb. I had a spare bulb but luckily my buddy was there with another light so I could replace it. We were just about to quarter a cow elk he shot. I ALWAYS carry a spare light!

That's all and fine until your batteries die and you need to change them, or your headlamp quits. I found this out a few years ago when my mini-mag burned out a bulb. I had a spare bulb but luckily my buddy was there with another light so I could replace it. We were just about to quarter a cow elk he shot. I ALWAYS carry a spare light!
I always carry two headlamps. One of which is a petzl elite because it fills the backup roll perfectly for me.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry two headlamps. One of which is a petzl elite because it fills the backup roll perfectly for me.

Yep, that elite is a nice little backup. Also, its pretty easy to see when your battery is dying and swap it before it completely shuts off. Once you have the battery in hand its very easy to change in the dark with the zebra too.

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
A Zebra for hiking with and a Princeton Tec Pulsar II for the pack and a Luci for camp and back up till I can get to my vehicle and a Black Diamond headlamp. I try to keep everything using the same batteries to save weight and how many I need. I use the Luci alot and pack it with me when hunting, makes field dress at night easier and if you have help heading your way it gives them a decent beacon to find you.

Last edited:
Here's a visual. AA beside an 18650.

I opted the 18650 model for huge battery life, and the option to really crank up the lumens if needed. This 600 series Zebra' will burn 16 days at 3.5 lumen, 177 hours at 11 lumen. Lots of other programmable settings all the way up to over 1000 lumens if ever needed. When I crank this to max power, it's seems about like a headlight on a vehicle. Amazing amount of light, but probably rarely needed.

rbljack

WKR
I have a zebralight with the aa batteries. Not sure if its the H52 or 502. works good around camp, but I think I might get one of those 600's also. For those running the stupid bright zebralights....which model would you suggest? I think I read that the natural light model (not the cool white) is the best version for hunting, spotting blood, etc. Which one provides the spot pattern?

Mine is the H600w MKII. It's the neutral white light (I like that ) and the 80 degree beam with 12 degree hotspot.

http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_117.html

I was kind of mulling between this beam, and the 'floody' with an 80 degree even beam. Did some reading online and there were some complaints about the hotspot beam being annoying for working up up close or reading a map, book, or whatever. I realize that at higher powers it is true, but down on the L1 level, (3.5 lumen), the light is fine for close work. I don't think you could go too wrong with either the standard beam or the floody.

The 'flood' beam option is 120 degrees, no hot spot. I think that might not throw light as far as I would want outdoors.

16Bore

WKR
this little guy is tiny and bright, flip the clip around and attach it to the bill of your hat in a pinch. About the size of a AA battery (uses AAA)

410201381434PM51814.jpg