Question on hunting land in CO

Luked

WKR
Last year when I went to CO hunting with my buddy while moving from one area to another we found an area that is all state land. Was not a huge parcel but the entire ting was fenced in. There was a gate that you had to open to get in.
Was just wondering about this as being from the midwest this was something I had never seen before.
We didnt hunt there but drove in to look around a bit. Looked like a nice area but why would the state have ground like this and have it all fenced in? Everything around it is all private ground also.
I dont think it would be something I would hunt just due to it being fenced but I am just wondering why fence it.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Wow glad we didnt do much in there. I had no idea and my buddy didnt either and he is from CO and hunts there often and his parents own a home there.

WCB

WKR
Depends on the state but a lot of them State land is open to public hunting (minus an emergency order or other circumstances) and also leased to ranchers for grazing or farming rights. States like ND label as State School Lands and the rent money goes to fund schools. Many are fenced in with gates that you can open and access (or crawl over, under, through the fence).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just consider Colorado state lands as private property unless you have all the information for that particular piece of land.

taskswap

WKR
If you want to know how big of a deal it is... You know all those brochure booklets they put out for Big Game hunting, Small game/waterfowl, fishing, etc? They have an entire booklet just listing the land parcels. Not as many folks know about it but it's a really helpful tool if you're planning any activities around these areas.

It lists all the SWAs, STLs, etc. And what you can do there.