New land owner in New Mexico residency question

Hey y’all!
I’m looking to buy property in New Mexico and eventually move there after I build. I’m a permanent resident in Texas and would not be living in NM before wanting to get tags for many species. If I were to own just land (non-permanent resident) would I get resident tag prices for all licenses or would the address on my drivers license need to be a NM drivers license regardless if I own land or not?
Thanks!

dtrkyman

WKR
You may get landowner vouchers regardless of residency, how many depends on how many animals use the property.

For tags anywhere other than your property you will pay non res. fees.

Yep. You would still be paying non resident prices if you don’t claim NM residency. I wouldn’t recommend that. Buy the land, get your vouchers and just pay the NR tag fees.

yfarm

WKR
This is the program, the presumption is that you are buying land to hunt on as is mentioned above. Amount of acreage owned and the elk population in the unit determines the number of lo permits issued to an individual owner.

yfarm

WKR
I’d gladly pay the 5% income tax to get the access to public lands compared to here in Texas which is absolutely zero. I just got back from Alamogordo chasing Barbary. Didn’t see one but still had a blast there. So having tons of opportunity to chase game and having a state income tax doesn’t bother me much.
My son and I draw limited access tags on Tx public areas just as frequently as we draw tags in NM for public area hunts. My hunting lease cost in Texas is more than paid for by paying no state income tax. I lived a large part of my life in a state where landowners allowed you to hunt for free, that is changing to a lease model. I paid far more income tax in that state than hunting leases would ever cost. That state has seen the light and is phasing out income tax, given the politics, doubt NM will ever do that.

If you plan on moving here be prepared for the liberal politics. There are nice pockets of conservatives in the east side of the state and in the far northwest corner. The state is controlled by the idiot liberals of the Rio Grande corridor.

I don’t think 1-5 acres of land is going to get you any tag vouchers.

I’d gladly pay the 5% income tax to get the access to public lands compared to here in Texas which is absolutely zero. I just got back from Alamogordo chasing Barbary. Didn’t see one but still had a blast there. So having tons of opportunity to chase game and having a state income tax doesn’t bother me much.

No you wouldn't. It's not worth the ad nauseum circle jerk annual legislative session where the clown college elite constantly force their ideology down everyone's throat.

Before you make the move, pay attention to the legislative session in ealry 2024, and you'll see how stuck on stupid NM really is...

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
No you wouldn't. It's not worth the ad nauseum circle jerk annual legislative session where the clown college elite constantly force their ideology down everyone's throat.

Before you make the move, pay attention to the legislative session in ealry 2024, and you'll see how stuck on stupid NM really is...

This is so sad but true.
I love NM. Particularly the high desert. I spend a month up there a year.
Beautiful country and great people.
However. The politics is a bit much.
Good paying jobs wil keep you tethered to the big cities where the politics are the worst.
I perfer to not give those clowns my money. I'll just stay in Texas and give these clowns my money. Draw non res tags and buy landowner tags with the extra money I kept if I dont draw.

AZmark

WKR
I live about 5 miles from the NM western border. In fact I can see mtns in NM from my back yard. I always apply for deer and elk there and have drawn a few tags, taken a couple nice muledeer also. I looked into NM residency and unfortunately I don't have land there. The cost of non-resident tags is not totally out of reach.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
You aren’t getting LO tags for 5 acres man, lol. And you don’t get to claim residency status until it has actually been your legitimate primary residence for 6+ months.

OP
D
You aren’t getting LO tags for 5 acres man, lol. And you don’t get to claim residency status until it has actually been your legitimate primary residence for 6+ months.
I know I wouldn’t get it for small acreage. More wondering if owning land there would be able to get me to draw resident tags for other units nearby. Wasn’t 100% sure so I’d thought I’d ask.

OP
D
This ideology scars the hell out of me
Never owned land before so I didn’t know. I figured I’d have to own a considerable amount to be able to get lo tags. I kinda knew that that wouldnt be enough land to do anything with. I was just curious.

SDHNTR

WKR
There is a huge legal difference between landowner tag eligibility, and being able to enter the drawing or buy licenses as a resident. Two totally different matters. Being a legal resident of one state has absolutely nothing to do with owning land in that state.

Never owned land before so I didn’t know. I figured I’d have to own a considerable amount to be able to get lo tags. I kinda knew that that wouldnt be enough land to do anything with. I was just curious.

Two ways: meeting the criteria in the EPlus program to qualify for either RO or UW, or your tract of land can draw a Small Contributing Ranch (SCR) voucher.

Still would have to pay NR fee's.