Question on R700 RR action serial number

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2004 Remington 700 BDL limited run stainless steel rifle with the RMEF 20th anniversary floorplate.

The serial number on the action is "RR".

Since I know that this is not a 1946 or late 2010's manufacture, would this imply it is a custom shop action?

BBob

WKR
No, the RR (action) prefix was a normal and really common prefix. I have 4-5 of them and it being an RR doesn’t make it special. RR’s were the final actions Remington made before shutting down. They were made for a number of years and are quite plentiful.

The new ones out of the new Remington are an RAR prefix.

BTW the way to date a Remington is by the barrel code, not the action serial number or action prefix.

Last edited:
OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Custom serial number for the non profit I am sure, to differentiate them.
I thought that might be the case, but then I saw my gun's sibling up for sale and it was stamped "S#####".

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
No, the RR (action) prefix was a normal and really common prefix. I have 4-5 of them and it being an RR doesn’t make it special. RR’s were the final actions Remington made before shutting down. They were made for a number of years and are quite plentiful.

The new ones out of the new Remington are an RAR prefix.

BTW the way to date a Remington is by the barrel code, not the action serial number or action prefix.

Thanks. Are you saying I should not be using this stamp (not my rifle) ? :

BBob

WKR
Thanks. Are you saying I should not be using this stamp (not my rifle) ?
Correct, that is the action serial number. Use the code on the barrel for manufacturing dates. If it went in for repairs there will be an additional code stamped. See below:
IMG_3145.jpeg

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Correct, that is the action serial number. Use the code on the barrel for manufacturing dates. If it went in for repairs there will be an additional code stamped. See below:
View attachment 699979

Thanks. My primary purpose was not to date but it would be nice to verify 2004 build is consistent with the RMEF bottom metal as I'm not the original owner and it does not have the original stock.

There is a lot of conflicting info about when RR receivers might have been built. But I can say that my rifle's action comes with the J-lock so that should put it in the range 2001-2005 if my resources are correct.

Do you happen to know from and until when the RR receivers were manufactured?

wyosteve

WKR
I picked up a Rifles, Inc. build that was done in 2014 and it used a RR action. However, I don't know if that was a current 2014 action or if the buyer supplied it.

BBob

WKR
Do you happen to know from and until when the RR receivers were manufactured?
I don’t remember exactly but I’d say they started RR’s 2010-2012 leaning towards 2012 ish and ran until bankruptcy in 2020.

The J-Lock striker assy doesn’t sound right at all for an RR. They should have been gone well before the RR’s and I’ve never seen one with one.

There were supposedly two plants manufacturing the RR’s. If you handled enough of them you could see the variances between the two. Some were done on CNC equipment. In general they were the straightest/true actions Remington made. The above comments were for action only actions. Some of the regular production RR’s (full rifles) weren’t as good. They all tended to be poor in the primary extraction department though. Somewhere along the way someone redesigned the bolt handle cam location which f-ed it up.

Last edited:
OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that it doesn't add up. As I mentioned the bottom metal is from a 2004 special edition for RMEF.

But that does line up with the j-lock timeline.

These are the stamps on the action and throat of the barrel.

rmef left side.GIF
rmef jlock.GIF
rmef right side.GIF

Last edited:
OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
??? The picture you posted clearly shows the serial number starting with an "S"?? and not an RR. So if that is the case it could certainly be from that time period.
Yes, my bad, I got a 4 R700's out last night ... my APR 270 WBY is the RR action.

My 300wm and 7rm are S actions, and they both have the J-lock.

And the 270win is a T. No J-lock.

OP
buckys

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
Bbob, I appreciate your patience! :)

Would the lack of a stamp on the barrel on my 7rm r700 lss be a surprise?

1713063473675.png

BBob

WKR
There was supposedly a gap around 2000 where Remington did not stamp barrels with date codes. It was only a year or two and they then went back to it.