Questions for the resident HVAC mini-split expert

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, you don't braze mini splits, none of the ones I have seen any way. Flare fittings should be on there.
The unit came out of the box with about 2 feet of copper connected from the factory. The head unit was mounted on the wall and the copper line was run through a hole in the wall. That’s where it was brazed. The outside unit definitely has flare fittings on it. Maybe he had to braze it there too. I just don’t remember. There was 30 feet of copper line set in the box and I didn’t use more than 8 feet.

In the middle of typing this I thought, just post pics.

Thanks for all the replies! I decided after the first one to wait on a pro 🤣

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 17

Stalker69

WKR
It looks to me by the pictures, he probably brazed it do to wrong size line set. You can see by the condenser the liquid line is smaller then the line set. And it looks as the the suction line may be different size at the evaporator. But the fitting on both ends are flare fittings, if every thing was the same size, there would have been no need to braze.

TheACGuy

FNG
Looks like either the wrong size lineset was used as stated above, or he just cut it short and used a piece of larger diameter copper for a coupling. If he used the wrong size lineset then that could be giving you problems with the compressor in the future. Also if the lineset is in fact only about 8’, that may not meet the manufacturer’s minimum lineset length, which will also give the compressor problems. Looks like there may be some moisture on some of those flare connections, if it’s oily then there is most likely a leak there.. if it just feels like water then you’re most likely fine. You can not solder these systems as they are heat pumps, and the pressures of R410A will blow the solder out, you would need to braze (if you needing to sweat anything) just like the previous installer did. As far as charging goes, you would need to evacuate the system of moisture first and then charge it per manufacturer spec, minis can be very finicky.

As far as doing this yourself, you could very well try but may just run into deeper problems. As far as getting someone out there, there will probably be a good handful of guys that will turn their nose to you. Amazon special mini-split that’s already had another guy’s hands on it, has had multiple failures in the past (most likely due to install error, if not just a non-reputable product), and a homeowner who wants to get their hands in it as well lol. I’m not taking a jab at you by any means, I’m just saying if I pulled up to this job I’d be telling my boss our energy is most likely better spent elsewhere. With that being said, there are definitely guys out there who will have no problem getting you fixed up, but be cautious and make sure there is some sort of warranty for the work done. We do a 30 day warranty for any further problems once our work is complete for service, just for example.

Best of luck to you man, I hope you can find someone to fix ya up fair!

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like either the wrong size lineset was used as stated above, or he just cut it short and used a piece of larger diameter copper for a coupling. If he used the wrong size lineset then that could be giving you problems with the compressor in the future. Also if the lineset is in fact only about 8’, that may not meet the manufacturer’s minimum lineset length, which will also give the compressor problems. Looks like there may be some moisture on some of those flare connections, if it’s oily then there is most likely a leak there.. if it just feels like water then you’re most likely fine. You can not solder these systems as they are heat pumps, and the pressures of R410A will blow the solder out, you would need to braze (if you needing to sweat anything) just like the previous installer did. As far as charging goes, you would need to evacuate the system of moisture first and then charge it per manufacturer spec, minis can be very finicky.

As far as doing this yourself, you could very well try but may just run into deeper problems. As far as getting someone out there, there will probably be a good handful of guys that will turn their nose to you. Amazon special mini-split that’s already had another guy’s hands on it, has had multiple failures in the past (most likely due to install error, if not just a non-reputable product), and a homeowner who wants to get their hands in it as well lol. I’m not taking a jab at you by any means, I’m just saying if I pulled up to this job I’d be telling my boss our energy is most likely better spent elsewhere. With that being said, there are definitely guys out there who will have no problem getting you fixed up, but be cautious and make sure there is some sort of warranty for the work done. We do a 30 day warranty for any further problems once our work is complete for service, just for example.

Best of luck to you man, I hope you can find someone to fix ya up fair!
I don’t know how the wrong line set could be used. It came from the factory like you see in the first pic down to the flared fittings. It came with 2 different copper lines with a fitting on one end of each line. He only brazed the other end, next to the unit. I stood there and watched him do it and check for leaks. I used the word “solder“ because I didn’t know ”braze“. I’m not even going to attempt to fix this myself. The guy that installed it knows what he’s doing. He’s the installer (and now a partial owner) for the company that did the heat and air in my last two houses. He did this as a side job.

That bottom brass fitting is a little oily.

It’s not an Amazon special. It came from https://www.alpinehomeair.com/. Blue Ridge brand, I believe.
Thanks for the help! I’m definitely leaving it alone.

Agreed with acguy.
To verify correct line set size and minimum length you would have to contact manufactuer.
My advice would be rip it out and have a reputable company put a new outdoor unit, head, and lineset in.
The company I work for will not touch Amazon or ebay specials or any Homeowner installed equipment.