Questions on velvet rub timing 2023

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just looking at harvest pictures year to year, Idahos archery season usually doesn’t produce a ton of velvet bucks, but I do sure seem to be seeing a lot more than usual this year. Only seen a couple bucks with my own eyes so far and they aren’t rubbed. Central Idaho.
Agreed, have hardly seen a hard-horned buck on Social media yet.

Eleven

FNG
I saw a buck this morning here in Vermont still in velvet. Its the latest I remember seeing one still holding on.

last weekend about 10-15% were hard horned via scouting and trail cameras.
as of today, about 70% were hard horned via trail camera (smaller sample size)

I do not think this is a regional thing. I noted delayed antler growth in the Sierra's this year, likely because of the long extended winter we had. unfortunately I came down with a case of covid (my 1st time), so haven't been out recently. I should get out this weekend though. I expect areas that had an extended winter, to have delayed antler growth and subsequently those bucks to shed velvet later than is typical.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
All the bucks I've been seeing are still in velvet. As of last night......8300-8500' elevation.

rjID

FNG
Aug 30 I saw one small 4 point that was hard horned but majority of other deer I saw that day and since have been full velvet.

All still holding minus one little buck of the last 15 or so I've seen since Sept 4th. I have video of bucks shedding velvet almost in-sync on the 4th the last two years. So later here in Central WY for sure.

Seemingly unrelated, but possibly related?

Eastern Whitetail in my area are holding velvet later than I have seen before. Several of us are talking about it/noticing it.

Just saw this thread and thought huh. We had mild winter, but we are really dry. Should still be a photo period, testosterone thing. Don't know, I'd think the conditions we are currently in could be stressing them, possibly delaying testosterone production?
Over my pay scale.

W MT opening weekend (9/2 & 9/3).

Numerous dinks still in velvet. My oldest son got really good looks at 3 bigger bucks (145ish to 170ish). The smallest of the 3 was stripped and brown horned. The middle buck and the biggest buck were 100% velvet still. He blew the stock on the middle sized 155-160 buck.

We’re heading to ID next weekend for mule deer… we’ll see what we find.

Just saw a mature buck this morning still packing velvet and know of another that went through a central Wyoming check station last weekend. If we’d have had a hot summer, I’d expect EHD, but with how cool it was and given last winter, I think evidence is good that these are just late bloomers.

rjID

FNG
This has been interesting! I certainly dont want to derail this topic, but I’m curious on people’s opinions of whether this will correlate with the rut at all? Will it tend to be later potentially? Or is it going to be completely unrelated?

Hunted southern Idaho for archery in an area that got lots of moisture but not a ton of winter kill. Velvet buck numbers about the same as the year before. Most bucks were shed by sept 7-8 which was about the same as last year. Looked at 75 or so bucks.

nphunter

WKR
Eastern Oregon they held velvet for a long time. A couple dandy bucks held it through the first two weeks of Sept. the one buck is mid to upper 180’s and was in velvet until around Sept. 13th. We had a mild winter here but did have the long wet spring and late summer. Bucks held onto there antlers for a while as well this spring.

First pic hard horned was the 14th.
8106E699-A7E2-4BF5-914C-46EC57E3CA00.jpeg

Same with this buck 14th
BDD0AFBD-D723-462B-8672-67278F861C39.jpeg
F3802513-3A47-42B4-9672-16585DA0B194.jpeg

Firestone

WKR
I saw lots of bucks still in velvet in western wyoming, middle of September. 176" 4 point was still packing on the 15th. Mid 150s still packing on the 19th.

Southern Idaho 10/7. Oldest son shot this buck. Horns were soft enough that they took some damage while tumbling. Obviously there is something going on with his Testosterone production. He is a 6x9 with a bunch of additional small points/knobs on the main beam. It will be a pretty cool and weird European.
IMG_3870.jpegIMG_3872.jpegIMG_3871.jpeg