Quick Access Gun Safes

What type of lock does your quick access safe, and do you recommend it?

• Mechanical lock / don’t recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RFID / recommend

• RFID / don’t recommend

• Total voters

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a quick access pistol safe. Interested to hear other folks’ experiences with various setups.

After reading a bit on this website, I had previously selected the Fort Knox “Original Pistol Box” with a mechanical Simplex lock. I haven’t bought it yet, though.
Pros: no batteries or electronics to fail.
Cons: no lockout feature. Given enough time, anyone (a ne’er-do-well, or even my child) could try all of the combinations and get it unlocked.

I don’t think I want RFID access for this, though I’m open to being coached otherwise.

That basically leaves digital number pads or fingerprints.

Fingerprints sound convenient as heck, but I worry about malfunctions or adverse conditions (e.g. my hands are covered in blood).

Hornady RAPiD safe is high on the list, I think. I’d probably only use the number pad. Anyone have that safe? What is your setup (inside a drawer, on top of dresser, on a shelf in closet, etc)? What do you like, and what would you change?

If you have a setup that is “perfect” for you, please drop a link to the product and describe your setup.

Thanks for your help!

I don’t have your answer, but I was not able to get into my liberty fairly expensive fingerprint bedside safe a couple days ago. Stumbled upon this doing my own research on what to replace it with. The one failure I just had is enough for me to say no way to anymore fingerprint options. Looking at keypad or the mechanical lock boxes like the one you described.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I need a safe, but I would never put a gun in a safe
that I might need in a fraction of a second @ 2AM. I'm already in a
pseudo coma at that time.

I have a well functioning fingerprint safe for my quick access, made by barska i believe. My wife and my fingerprints on it and she has gotten into it when i wasnt home, worked well, and has never failed to open many years later.

I can not speak to how it would work with blood or something on my finger. I would guess that situation would not be a quick access situation and if my fingerprint didn’t work i could get another pistol out if my main gun safe.

Can i ask what situation you are envisioning where you would need quick access while being bloodied or wouldnt he able to do a quick wipe on your pants?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I like to research anything I buy. What fits other peoples needs or likes may not fit mine. I suppose asking opinion on open forums could be part of that research, but always go to gun shop and get in person feel for different types of safes. Only way to be sure.

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I need a safe, but I would never put a gun in a safe
that I might need in a fraction of a second @ 2AM. I'm already in a
pseudo coma at that time.
We have a toddler. I can’t leave guns unsecured. Even if I could, I don’t believe it’s best practice. I wouldn’t vote to take away your right to leave your pistol easily accessible in a drawer, but I don’t think it’s worth leaving my guns so easily accessible if a thief breaks into my home.

Can i ask what situation you are envisioning where you would need quick access while being bloodied or wouldnt he able to do a quick wipe on your pants?
- Middle of washing hands or showering - hands wet.
- Mid-fight and injured (bleeding) - perp is stunned long enough for me to make it to my bedroom.

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
@Pacific_Fork - low vote count, but fingerprints are mixed reviews. Thus far, this thread has reinforced my thoughts on mechanical lock boxes.

Last edited:
I have had the original pistol box for a long long time. No complaints from me. Also have a smaller less beefy setup from a different company with mechanical lock that fits just one compact pistol. Thankfully, have never had to access in an emergency, but the pistols are secured which is my primary objective.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Having raised a child I know about the importance of keeping guns away
from them.
There are ways, other than safes. Just have to be diligent and keep them
inaccessible at all times.
Mine was always on me, except at night when it was on/in the nightstand.
First thing in the morning it got relocated to the top of the refrigerator.
Just have to work out a system.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Vaultek with a digital keypad. Being break in proof for a portable/quick access safe is kind of a moot point for me as just stealing the entire unit is a lot quicker then trying to break into it. The appeal of these safes is they can be stored in more unconventional locations that don’t scream “look here for a gun.”

As for the technology, I’m comfortable with digital or mechanical, would tend to steer away from RFID or biometric, unless they are in addition to a digital keypad. If I want access to the safe I don’t want to have to find an RFID card as well and I’ve had fingerprint sensors stop accepting my fingerprint depending on how beat up my hands/fingers were.

I think most people freak out unnecessarily with digital stuff in safes. There’s always the “what if’s” and mechanical things can break as well. All I know is I’ve opened the digital keypad on my safe thousands of times and guess what, it’s always worked when I’ve put in the correct code.

sndmn11

WKR
We have had a secure-it agile for several years. It is fine, potentially overpriced.

I have thought about a Hornady ready vault for the next one, but it seems very overpriced as well.