Quick positive review of Athlon Cronus G2 20-60x86 Spotting Scope

sully6982

FNG
Classified Approved
I tested out the Athlon Cronus G2 20-60x86 Spotting Scope by using this professional lens test chart: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1YEEHA

I don’t own another scope, so for comparison I used my Swarovski NL Pure 8x42 at a distance that accounted for the difference in magnification.

Before unboxing, I was skeptical and thought I would be returning this product and getting a Kowa or Swarovski scope instead.

I was very surprised at how good the Cronus was relative to the price. Two ways of comparing what I could see are by percent and distance vision. If viewing the letter page-sized test chart up close is 100%, then the NL Pure was about 95% color and detail and the Cronus was 90%. My corrected vision is 20/15. With the NL Pure, I feel like I get 20/20, and with the Cronus, it is 20/25.

Similar to other reviews of the Cronus, I found that the edge-to-edge clarity is great, the field of view is below average, the eye placement is more finicky than average, and there is very slight chromatic aberration. I consider the clarity to be the most important metric, and that was outstanding throughout the magnification range.

Although I didn’t use any other binos or scopes for comparison, I’m familiar with other equipment and thought the Cronus compared favorably to other scopes I’ve looked through that cost far more.

I won’t be using this daily, and I have three kids who might knock it over, so the lower price and unlimited warranty make it a great purchase. As someone who loves his Swarovski NL Pure binoculars, I would only recommend paying $3-4K more for a Kowa or Swarovski scope if it is being used on a near daily basis.

bdloftin

FNG
The clarity is amazing. I compared side-by-side with a Kowa 773. I was blown away - the Cronus actually had very slightly better clarity in the center. It seemed to cut through the mirage a bit better as well. Could be that there's some sample variation among Kowas regarding quality, but I couldn't keep that Kowa despite it being lighter, having a wider field of view, and a better focusing mechanism than the Cronus. I do agree that the Cronus is a bit finicky with eye placement, but adjusting the eye cup correctly vs the zoom level seems to help with that quite a bit.

Glad to see this thread. Just what I was looking for. I own an Ares G2 UHD 65mm, which I really like and purchased as it seemed one of the better scopes at a mid or lower price and at a weight suitable for the hunting I do. I'll continue to use this scope as my go to for most hunts, but recently have been spending more time glassing from the truck or within a mile for the road looking at arears about 2-3 miles away, wanting to upgrade to a bigger scope for this type of thing. Thanks for the feedback on the Cronos, its at the top of my list right now as that price point makes sense for me.