Quitting Alcohol

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?

Deadfall

WKR
B
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
Benefits are unimaginable. In life period...

ODB

WKR
Not relative to hunts, I didn't stop drinking to be a better hunter.

Since stopping drinking I sleep MUCH better, and a good night's sleep is much more important than the transient taste of the best booze. No, it's not easy. Especially in social situations - actually, it WASN'T easy to start, but nowadays being a non-drinker is being iconoclastic, which serves my tendency to be contrarian, so it's easy to be odd man out.

The mindset is this: you have to be a non-drinker. NOT someone who is quitting drinking or just doesn't want one when offered. Being in the middle of quitting something means you still do it, just less often.

When someone asks if you want a drink, the answer is "I don't drink" not "No." Big mental difference.

If you are married, tell your wife you are not drinking anymore. Any booze that was just yours in the house, give it away. Non-drinkers don't have their favorite booze on the shelf. If you use the excuse that it's for when people come over - ask yourself if you also stock your fridge with their favorite food in the off-chance they stop by? If you want to serve booze when they come over, buy a small bottle and send it home with them. Eventually they will just bring their own, or booze won't matter anyway.

These of course are my opinions/experience, but it works for me. Also, I have never 'saved the date' of my last drink like some people do. "it's been XXX days/weeks/years since my last drink." I never understood that. I am just a non-drinker, period.

Booze is not necessary, nor important in any case whatever.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
When someone asks if you want a drink, the answer is "I don't drink" not "No." Big mental difference.
Thanks that spoke to me a lot.
I have been telling friends that "I don't drink anymore". It does feel a lot better than saying anything else.

I'm definitely doing it for other reasons, but I guess since it's a hunting forum I felt I had to add that in haha.

The social part is a definitely rough. I'm at 10 days. Been outright avoiding situations that I used to drink in.

Deadfall

WKR

Any tips on the process?
Some folks are heavy hard drinkers that can stop if something bad enough happens. Some are temperate drinkers, some not at all. Then there are real alcoholics who are on a entirely different level. There are groups of people in your area that can help explain the difference and help you understand where you are. Tgen take the appropriate actions.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Some folks are heavy hard drinkers that can stop if something bad enough happens. Some are temperate drinkers, some not at all. Then there are real alcoholics who are on a entirely different level. There are groups of people in your area that can help explain the difference and help you understand where you are. Tgen take the appropriate actions.
I can usually abstain for a while, but I know if I start I go hard and cant stop.
It's like my moderation part of my brain doesn't work, so I try to channel that into positive stuff.

Superdoo

WKR
I recently hit the 6 months sober mark. Quitting was a personal choice for me. I had recently switched industries and found out the grass was most definitely not greener. I had been coping with 1.75s of scotch every three or four days.
I was laying in bed one night and the sadness wasn’t washed away by the alcohol the way I wanted it to be. Instead I found myself focusing on what my wife and young children would get to reap from my “habits.” It wasn’t the first time I had felt that way but something was different about it.
I made the decision then to stop being a pussy and take away the crutch.
The physical changes weren’t dramatic, but that’s not a reason to quit anyway.
A person quits for themselves and the people around them.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
The physical changes weren’t dramatic, but that’s not a reason to quit anyway.
A person quits for themselves and the people around them.
Thanks for the reply. Six months is badass.

I definitely understand that. I've made some dumbass decisions drinking, and messed up a relationship I really enjoyed the last time I drank.
It was a realization of "Alright, I'm done doing this to myself and others." Feels like it's just self sabotaging life at this point.

ODB

WKR
One thing I'll add... take note of any prior activities where you drank and if you find that old feeling creeping in, find a positive substitute. An example: I cook like crazy, and back in the day, I would always have an old fashioned or something while I cooked. Having a drink became part of cooking. I didn't realize how tied the two were until I realized one day when I was cooking I was like "I could use a drink." It suddenly hit me that drinking had become a part of cooking and cooking became a trigger to want a drink. I found a suitable substitute (soda water and lime) and now when I cook, the first thing I do is make a big old glass of soda water and lime and off I go. I would bet there are certain triggers that start the dopamine drip and make you crave a drink.

One unexpected benefit to me of quitting I found is that my digestion is much better. As I got older, any booze would practically halt digestion and all that great food I cooked just sat like a rock in my gut. Nowadays, not so much.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not drank in years, but never was a drinker or had an issue so not sure how much help I can be?

I just simply decided not to drink, has not been an issue for me, though now and again in certain settings it is appealing. I ultimately think it is just that a decision, no one can force you to drink or not drink, it all comes down to your choices!

A motivating factor for me is my drunken family, always an issue with someone and most of the bad things I have seen with people I am close to involved alcohol. I have a very low tolerance for drunks!!!

Ask yourself what is the benefit of drinking? Does it actually serve you in any way?

Good luck!

I cannot speak to the addiction aspect, as I have never had a physical addiction to alcohol in particular. I did however used to have a few drinks 2-3 nights a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I now only have a drink or so at special events such as weddings, celebrations etc. which is about once a month or less. I have found that not drinking very often has made me not want to have more than one or two drinks on the rare occasion that I do drink. Its like my subconscious mind knows how much better I feel when I don’t drink. I have way more energy now, I’m in a better general mood on a daily basis, I have lost weight, my endurance is higher, I am way more motivated and proactive, I don’t sleep in late on my rare off days, I sleep better and can function better on less hours of sleep. Overall, my life is MUCH better now that I don’t drink very often. Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
Sad, some of you folks have no control. Life is better with a drink here and there. Enjoy a crispy beer or a glass of wine or two. It’s good for you.
My control is knowing what’s right for me. I still enjoy NA beers with my buddies.
The way you phrased the above makes it sound like I’m somehow inferior because I don’t drink. I’m hoping it only sounds that way and it’s not actually what you really think.